The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

This is the tough part with home roasting I think. Or one of them. Doing the research to know what roast you should take each bean to and then trusting that to see how it turns out.
I think for now I'll follow the prompts and not deviate. Or do a half-lb by the book, then play with the manual controls for the other half-lb.
I do know that the wife is so happy with the results I get she will fight me if I wanted to go back to buying already roasted coffee........
My wife had a cup from my early roasts and was unimpressed.

I hate this pandemic and working from home, but my coffee is awesome. In addition to the morning pot, I’ll do another cup from a Moka pot, mini French press, Aeropress or Chemex pour over in the early afternoon.

Roasted a couple of lbs today:
View attachment 32805
Tanzanian Peaberry (L) and Len's Coffee Jerome St Blend (R), recommended by @dkeester , which has Vietnamese Robusta Peaberry in it.
The Jerome St is interesting. Not my favorite but still a good cup. I just ordered 10lbs of their Chocozilla blend of green beans as my wife loved it. Also trying a pound of their Prince Street Crema which is an espresso blend intended to maximize the crema. Sounded interesting.

I just ordered 10lbs of their Chocozilla blend of green beans as my wife loved it.
How deeply do you roast it, Kyle? Mine is medium to medium dark, but not sure if I'm getting the best from the beans. I should try adding a little milk to my cup and see how it tastes.

How deeply do you roast it, Kyle? Mine is medium to medium dark, but not sure if I'm getting the best from the beans. I should try adding a little milk to my cup and see how it tastes.
That is the range I normally roast to. I always make sure I hit second crack. Sometimes I stop there, sometimes I let it go a bit longer.

That is the range I normally roast to. I always make sure I hit second crack. Sometimes I stop there, sometimes I let it go a bit longer.
I took it a minute or two longer than the pre-set program. Hmm, I'll have to try it again sometime. It's not bad, just not what I'd expected. Maybe I'm looking for more chocolate flavor than it has. Thanks.

I took it a minute or two longer than the pre-set program. Hmm, I'll have to try it again sometime. It's not bad, just not what I'd expected. Maybe I'm looking for more chocolate flavor than it has. Thanks.
Yeah. The aroma of the grounds has some chocolate but its gone in the cup. Try the Chocozilla or mocharagua. Both of those are pretty chocolate forward.

Made a pot of the Tanzanian Peaberry this morning. Good earthy flavor, but the first cup was a little too strong. I diluted the second cup slightly and the earthiness was enhanced with a touch of sweetness. Very enjoyable flavor.

Made my first batch of Cold Brew. Some beans that have been in the freezer longer than I probably should have had them. Coarsely ground 8 oz and put them in a half gallon mason jar. Filled with filtered water and let them set for 24 hours. Used my pour over coffee maker to filter the good stuff from the grounds. Placed the coffee in another mason jar. Man is this stuff great! I won't be buying cold brew from a coffee shop any more!

Peet's Cafe Domingo.

Reminds me of a story. One of our daughters dated a guy in college named Mingo (given name Domingo). I used to tease him and called him Duh-mingo! We both got a kick out of that. Actually, I probably enjoyed it more than he did. ;)

IMG_3811.JPG

Back