The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

Made my first batch of Cold Brew. Some beans that have been in the freezer longer than I probably should have had them. Coarsely ground 8 oz and put them in a half gallon mason jar. Filled with filtered water and let them set for 24 hours. Used my pour over coffee maker to filter the good stuff from the grounds. Placed the coffee in another mason jar. Man is this stuff great! I won't be buying cold brew from a coffee shop any more!

I always have some in the fridge https://smile.amazon.com/Takeya-103...=1597945227&sprefix=cold+brew+,aps,427&sr=8-5

Tanzanian Peaberry this morning. Used fewer beans with this pot and the taste changed from strong and slightly sweet to rich and sweet. It might help if I measured or weighed the beans, but I just eyeball the level in my Krups grinder. Got it right this morning. :coffee::)

Casual Saturday roasting beans. Just did a lb of Brazilian; now a lb of Brazilian peaberry. Then, a Guatemalan peaberry and a Colombian. I'll split it up into two sessions so I don't get bored. Breezy, comfortable day on the patio. :)

Drinking Brazilian home roast. Used all roaster presets and wound up with a flavorful medium roast. Had Guatemalan peaberry yesterday, but prefer today's Brazilian. Got two more to try from Saturday's roast. Life is good.

Last edited:
So i tried something new with my last roast and so far it seems to have worked pretty well. Instead of using the perforated roasting pan like i normally do i grabbed my carbon steel wok. my goal was to see how well it would work for roasting a full pound all at once. the wok is kinda heavy and poorly balanced to keep it moving for the whole roast like the little pan so i grabbed a wood spatula and used that to stir the beans around during the roast and only gave the pan an occasional shake to help move things around. i got to my normal level of roast in just a bit more time than usual, i suspect this is in part from the added mass and also from the lack of perforation of the steel, and did not have any scorching issues. i wiped the wok down really well beforehand to make sure there was no oil residue from the last time i used and cleaned it so no off flavors there( tried using a cast iron skillet one time and you could taste the oil i used to season it, and it was not good).

the biggest issue i had was that after the roast was done, all the chaff that normally falls out the holes in the small pan was still mixed into the beans and had to be removed. that was kind of a pain but i have some ideas that i might try and see if i can figure out and easy fix for that.

Back