The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

Used a French press for 1st time yesterday after someone gave us one. Nice flavorful coffee but cools to quick and too much trouble including cleaning it for what you get.

Ok, I'm backing off the home roasting for a while. I'm not getting any better coffee when just buying the beans and not enjoying the activity much.

I'm looking for a coffee bean suggested for those already roasted. Something just mild and smooth and <$12/lb.

Ok, I'm backing off the home roasting for a while. I'm not getting any better coffee when just buying the beans and not enjoying the activity much.

I'm looking for a coffee bean suggested for those already roasted. Something just mild and smooth and <$12/lb.

Try the Moka Java.

Quitter! LOL

But we always have a bag of Kirkland Columbian in the house to grind at home in case I don't have any roasted. Have you tried that?

Quitter! LOL

But we always have a bag of Kirkland Columbian in the house to grind at home in case I don't have any roasted. Have you tried that?
No, hesitant about the stuff from Costco given the size you need to buy of anything.

Today's roasting adventures:
964C2ACC-EB3A-419C-B7CD-BB6CA907DCA4_1_201_a.jpeg
About to start. First up, Guatemalan from Coffee Bean Corral.
A38499B8-8764-4BAB-9ADC-5647E74BB47A_1_201_a.jpeg
Left to right: 1/4 lb Guatemalan of the roaster's hottest/longest preset Profile 1; 1/2 lb Guatemalan max'd out in additional time on Profile 1; Brazilian arabica/Vietnamese robusta on Profile 1 with a minute added. The darkest roast is in the middle. No oil droplets showing, apparently in drum roasting they appear a couple of days later. I'll wait and see.
There are max times for each profile; in other words, you can add time, but only up to the roaster's defaults before cooling begins. It is designed to prevent over-roasting or burning. As such, the roaster is unlikely to reach the darkness of Viennese or Italian roasts. If that is your preference @Dave in KY , then this may not be the roaster for you. I enjoy a range of flavors, but not the darkest roasts, so it's right in my wheelhouse.

Today's roasting adventures:
View attachment 32151
About to start. First up, Guatemalan from Coffee Bean Corral.
View attachment 32152
Left to right: 1/4 lb Guatemalan of the roaster's hottest/longest preset Profile 1; 1/2 lb Guatemalan max'd out in additional time on Profile 1; Brazilian arabica/Vietnamese robusta on Profile 1 with a minute added. The darkest roast is in the middle. No oil droplets showing, apparently in drum roasting they appear a couple of days later. I'll wait and see.
There are max times for each profile; in other words, you can add time, but only up to the roaster's defaults before cooling begins. It is designed to prevent over-roasting or burning. As such, the roaster is unlikely to reach the darkness of Viennese or Italian roasts. If that is your preference @Dave in KY , then this may not be the roaster for you. I enjoy a range of flavors, but not the darkest roasts, so it's right in my wheelhouse.
Bruce, I love you. Your explanation just saved me a bunch of scratch. I'll enjoy watching your journey though, Thanks

Um........never seen a cowboy use a ladle but have seen them pour from an old style percolator. I would not be able to handle the grinds although I have endured them at times.

Drinking my second cup of home roast Guatemalan. This was roasted strictly by the roaster's pre-set profile; no time added or subtracted. I must say, Behmor got this one just right. It is smooth and earthy sweet. Never tasted coffee quite like this. My instincts would have been to roast a bit longer. Had I done this, I might have missed out on this treat. I'm going to have to trust the pre-sets a little more, I think.

Drinking my second cup of home roast Guatemalan. This was roasted strictly by the roaster's pre-set profile; no time added or subtracted. I must say, Behmor got this one just right. It is smooth and earthy sweet. Never tasted coffee quite like this. My instincts would have been to roast a bit longer. Had I done this, I might have missed out on this treat. I'm going to have to trust the pre-sets a little more, I think.
Nice Bruce, which Guatemalan

This is the tough part with home roasting I think. Or one of them. Doing the research to know what roast you should take each bean to and then trusting that to see how it turns out.

This is the tough part with home roasting I think. Or one of them. Doing the research to know what roast you should take each bean to and then trusting that to see how it turns out.
CBC usually gives tips for each bean as to where it is best for what you are looking for. That's why although I prefer a dark roast, I went lighter on the Dominican Republic Peaberry as it was recommended.

I do know that the wife is so happy with the results I get she will fight me if I wanted to go back to buying already roasted coffee........

Back