The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

So, I've been following a thread in a coffee forum that was discussing the oils in coffee and how the diterpenes and cafestol can negatively impact cholesterol levels in the bloodstream, specifically for men specifically, 60 and over. The longer the water is in contact with the coffee, the more of these oils will end up in the cup if not filtered out. So this means that using a pour over with a metal reuseable filter, Moka Pots, french press and espresso have these oils. And of those methods, french press likely has among the highest concentrations of the oils since the coffee is fully immersed for several minutes and then poured into the cup unfiltered. As I approach 58, and knowing I'm taking statins to control my cholesterol, it dawned on me that maybe I should search for an alternative method for brewing coffee. I may give pour over a try, but I'd like to use the Bodum with the permanent filter. I realize that it won't filter out the oils but there should be less oils in my cup since the water is in contact with the coffee for a much shorter period of time. I'm also wondering if maybe I'm just being overly cautious since I'm only drinking two Victor diner mugs of cafe au lait each morning for a grand total of about 8 ounces max of coffee along with an equal amount of milk and milk foam. Has anyone else looked into this issue and have further thoughts on the matter?

Nope, sorry I'm no help. I use a Bunn Coffee maker

Finally heard a distinct crack at around the 35-36 minute mark. Plenty of vapor and oily beans. This is a DARK roast. Brazil pound in the roaster now. Here's the Mexican. Never heard the 1st crack.....
1591647354975474602998.jpg

Last edited:
So, I've been following a thread in a coffee forum that was discussing the oils in coffee and how the diterpenes and cafestol can negatively impact cholesterol levels in the bloodstream, specifically for men specifically, 60 and over. The longer the water is in contact with the coffee, the more of these oils will end up in the cup if not filtered out. So this means that using a pour over with a metal reuseable filter, Moka Pots, french press and espresso have these oils. And of those methods, french press likely has among the highest concentrations of the oils since the coffee is fully immersed for several minutes and then poured into the cup unfiltered. As I approach 58, and knowing I'm taking statins to control my cholesterol, it dawned on me that maybe I should search for an alternative method for brewing coffee. I may give pour over a try, but I'd like to use the Bodum with the permanent filter. I realize that it won't filter out the oils but there should be less oils in my cup since the water is in contact with the coffee for a much shorter period of time. I'm also wondering if maybe I'm just being overly cautious since I'm only drinking two Victor diner mugs of cafe au lait each morning for a grand total of about 8 ounces max of coffee along with an equal amount of milk and milk foam. Has anyone else looked into this issue and have further thoughts on the matter?
I use a pour over at the Shop sometimes when I have time. In regard to Cholesteral levels I think in large part it is heredity as well, We are within a few yrs of each other, and for years I drank maybe one-two cups a day. when I started roasting my own, and doing more espresso roast, lattes and the like I began drinking more, and my cholesterol have decreased. I know you mention gentlemen, however my better have drinks in the neighborhood of 6-8 12 cup pots a day.... yes that is correct 6-8 pots and sleeps like a baby, has cholesterol that is super low. I think genetics plays a larger role in all vices, although the medical establishment will never admit to that, as it would cost them dinero. I have seen no movement one way or the other and for quick contact a Keurig with your own filter, that way you can put your coffee it the filter. Just a thought

I use a pour over at the Shop sometimes when I have time. In regard to Cholesteral levels I think in large part it is heredity as well, We are within a few yrs of each other, and for years I drank maybe one-two cups a day. when I started roasting my own, and doing more espresso roast, lattes and the like I began drinking more, and my cholesterol have decreased. I know you mention gentlemen, however my better have drinks in the neighborhood of 6-8 12 cup pots a day.... yes that is correct 6-8 pots and sleeps like a baby, has cholesterol that is super low. I think genetics plays a larger role in all vices, although the medical establishment will never admit to that, as it would cost them dinero. I have seen no movement one way or the other and for quick contact a Keurig with your own filter, that way you can put your coffee it the filter. Just a thought

You may be right. I've heard that as well for years as it relates to whether high cholestrol is hereditary. I actually think as with everything both heredity and diet and lifestyle all play a part. If there is high cholesterol in your family but you are vrery active pursuing sports at a high level (think biking 75 to 100 miles a week or running 5 miles a day) and you are careful what you eat and maintain close to an ideal weight, I highly doubt that person would have a cholesterol problem. But that same person who only exercises sporadcally and eats whatever they want and too much of it, I'm guessing that person will have a cholesterol problem. Anyway, I'm going to use myself as that guinea pig because I'm ramping up my exercise routine right now. I'm biking 50 miles a week and donig some calistenics such as push ups, crunches and planks a couple times a week for about 5 days of exercise and I'm increasing how much I do each time, hoping to drop about 35 lbs. Hopefully I'll be able to drop the blood pressure meds and the statins I'm taking for cholesterol. We'll see if it works. As for the Keurig I have one of those cartidges that fits my Keurig and it has a mesh reusable filter. I'm not a big fan of the one I have though. I believe we got not too long after they first came out. As a result, I don't feel the coffee gets heated hot enough. It's just not something I'm interested in playing around with. But I really love the french press. Not sure why. Maybe because it's simple to use and it's such an old contraption that it takes me back, sort of like shaving with a double edge or a straight. But more importantly the coffee is just so damn good.

Drinking the DARKLY roasted Mexican beans this morning. Has a smooth smokiness to it that reminds me of Texas on Fire soap as I sip it. I like it but time will tell if the wife does when she gets up...........if she doesn't I can blend it with another lighter roast.

My wife said it had an ash taste. I really think those beans where way to dry.

Well i have spent the last week enjoying this which was generously sent to me by @dkeester and it has been a very good coffee week!
20200605_220313.jpg
20200605_220505.jpg
I have had it black, with a little cream, as proper Vietnamese iced coffee, and a coffee Black and Tan(brewed it over a half glass of chocolate milk and this happened)!
20200609_151508.jpg
All were fantastic. The coffee has a very rich dark chocolate scent with just a touch of sweetness to it. the flavor in the cup is very earthy and chocolaty. My only issue was that the beans are VERY oily and actually clogged up my grinder at one point, but that is easy enough to take care of. I'm looking forward to getting into the other one he sent me later this weekend.

Oh and i have these on the way to me from Len's to see how i like them home roasted!
1591970159187.png

Well i have spent the last week enjoying this which was generously sent to me by @dkeester and it has been a very good coffee week!
View attachment 26897
View attachment 26898
I have had it black, with a little cream, as proper Vietnamese iced coffee, and a coffee Black and Tan(brewed it over a half glass of chocolate milk and this happened)!
View attachment 26899
All were fantastic. The coffee has a very rich dark chocolate scent with just a touch of sweetness to it. the flavor in the cup is very earthy and chocolaty. My only issue was that the beans are VERY oily and actually clogged up my grinder at one point, but that is easy enough to take care of. I'm looking forward to getting into the other one he sent me later this weekend.

Oh and i have these on the way to me from Len's to see how i like them home roasted!
View attachment 26896
I am glad that you enjoyed the Creative 2 blend so much. It is my wife's current favorite.

Now you see why I rave about Vietnamese coffee. The Robusta beans that are produced in Vietnam are so, so delicious.

I am glad that you enjoyed the Creative 2 blend so much. It is my wife's current favorite.

Now you see why I rave about Vietnamese coffee. The Robusta beans that are produced in Vietnam are so, so delicious.
indeed! I saw they also had single origin green beans too so i will probably get some of those eventually to make some custom blends.

one of those that i have ordered may be destined for some cold brew action. been craving some of that lately.

Jerome Street Blend, green unroasted, our Signature Blend

1 x Jerome Street Blend, green unroasted, our Signature Blend
  • Select Size 1 pound all premixed
$8.95
Jump Start Breakfast Blend, green unroasted, premixed

1 x Jump Start Breakfast Blend, green unroasted, premixed
  • Select Size 1 pound
$8.95
Chocozilla, green unroasted, premixed

1 x Chocozilla, green unroasted, premixed
  • Select Size 1 pound
$8.95

A little pricey, but I'll give it a try.

1592087422941.png
Under the green top is the medium-dark roast; the other two roasts came out dark. Roast #3 hit dark roast a full 5 minutes sooner than #1. Makes sense, when I think about it. Roast #1 started out cold, and took time to reach 240C. I'll see how these taste in a couple of days and report back.

Drinking the DARKLY roasted Mexican beans this morning. Has a smooth smokiness to it that reminds me of Texas on Fire soap as I sip it. I like it but time will tell if the wife does when she gets up...........if she doesn't I can blend it with another lighter roast.
That's how I look at beans I roast - I can always blend strong with weak, if I choose. All roasts can be blended for the perfect cup. That's the fun of this hobby, making the perfect cup of coffee, or at least striving to do so.

Back