The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

Anyone else have issues with the Mexican beans from the Bean Corral sampler pack? They are taking forever to roast and still not looking all that hot.
Never got a dark as I like and look very dry
They took longer so I went by appearance and waiting for the 2nd crack more than timing things but got the darker roast I wanted. Haven't tried them yet as I just filled the hopper of the grinder with that pound. They'll be up for tomorrow's coffee.
IMG_20200601_081012396.jpg

Mixed the light and dark Sumatran peaberries in the grinder and made a pot. Is it good! Slightly different ratios than before, quite by accident, yielded a sweet, medium-bodies brew that tastes fantastic. Luck counts. ;)

The colour looks medium to me, but I thought once the oils start coming out it's a dark roast.

For those who have Amazon Prime and are interested, there's a movie about the AeroPress free to view for Prime members.

The colour looks medium to me, but I thought once the oils start coming out it's a dark roast.

I did a little reading on a couple coffee websites and their definition of medium and dark roasts is consistent with what you said. Medium is roasted to about the point where some oils just start to come out of the beans. Given the color and the small amount of oils on my beans, I'd say that I have a medium dark roast. Sort of like medium well done steak. I've really been enjoying this roast more than any other beans I've bought before and I'm gussing some of that has to do with the slightly lighter roast. I definitely am getting much more coffee flavor, if that even make sense, in the cup.

I've really been enjoying this roast more than any other beans I've bought before and I'm guessing some of that has to do with the slightly lighter roast. I definitely am getting much more coffee flavor, if that even make sense, in the cup.
That's my understanding of how it should work. Pardon the pun, but every coffee should have its own sweet spot. I'm trying to roast to the point just before oil seeps out. It's really just guesswork for me at this point. I have also slowed down my roasts by dialing back to 220C, so I've ignored the times and gone by sight, smell, and sounds.

I give up on those Mexican beans. Today in the mid 70s no wind and it took 30min+ to get them still looking sad. Moving on to something else.

We are getting low on coffee again, so I put in an order from Len's Coffee.

Saigon Market Blend
(Select Grind: Ground (for drip machine, Phin and press))
LC-SAIM1$7.25 USD$7.25 USD
Trung Nguyen Creative 2 Robusta Arabica
(Please Select: Drip Grind)
SKU-2DC26C891$8.50 USD$8.50 USD
Trung Nguyen Creative 4 (Premium Culi) Coffee
(Select Grind: Ground 340g (12oz))
TNC4-G1$10.95 USD$10.95 USD
Vietnamese Dalat Blend
(Grind: Ground, Roast: Medium)
HLC-VDBL8OZG1$7.95 USD$7.95 USD

The Creative 2 Blend is our favorite right now. The Truong Lam that was a part of my last order is what we are drinking now. It is good, but not as good as the Trung Nguyen Creative 2. The Creative 4, the Saigon Market, and the Dalat Blend are new to us also. I have a feeling they will have a hard time beating the Creative 2. This is inexpensive coffee that tastes amazing.

We are getting low on coffee again, so I put in an order from Len's Coffee.

Saigon Market Blend
(Select Grind: Ground (for drip machine, Phin and press))
LC-SAIM1$7.25 USD$7.25 USD
Trung Nguyen Creative 2 Robusta Arabica
(Please Select: Drip Grind)
SKU-2DC26C891$8.50 USD$8.50 USD
Trung Nguyen Creative 4 (Premium Culi) Coffee
(Select Grind: Ground 340g (12oz))
TNC4-G1$10.95 USD$10.95 USD
Vietnamese Dalat Blend
(Grind: Ground, Roast: Medium)
HLC-VDBL8OZG1$7.95 USD$7.95 USD

The Creative 2 Blend is our favorite right now. The Truong Lam that was a part of my last order is what we are drinking now. It is good, but not as good as the Trung Nguyen Creative 2. The Creative 4, the Saigon Market, and the Dalat Blend are new to us also. I have a feeling they will have a hard time beating the Creative 2. This is inexpensive coffee that tastes amazing.

Can you buy just the beans? Or even green beans from them? I would like to try this coffee you speak so highly of. Plus it's an excuse to get more mail!

I don’t roast my own, but I do enjoy some quality freshly roasted coffee. Currently working through a bag of Colombian from Happy Mug and I’ve got a bag of Peñas Negras from a local roaster on the way. I’ve discovered that the French press is my absolute favorite brew method and that’s all I use now.

Can you buy just the beans? Or even green beans from them? I would like to try this coffee you speak so highly of. Plus it's an excuse to get more mail!
Len's does sell green beans from Vietnam. Also, most of the coffees that I have seen on the site are available as whole bean.

I give up on those Mexican beans. Today in the mid 70s no wind and it took 30min+ to get them still looking sad. Moving on to something else.
I prefer the Guatemalan I had so far but getting nice flavorful brews from the Mexican beans. What's the hurry when roasting ? Took me close to 40 minutes at 220 Celsius for a pound to roast........

I prefer the Guatemalan I had so far but getting nice flavorful brews from the Mexican beans. What's the hurry when roasting ? Took me close to 40 minutes at 220 Celsius for a pound to roast........
It's taking me 30min per batch. A pound is like 6 batches

Back