The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

Everything I read about the Ethiopian coffee is you should go with a lighter roast. Knowing that I like a darker roast oh, I did just under a half a pound medium roast and then doing the rest of it a darker roast and we'll probably just blend them and see how that turns out. Here's the medium roast
IMG_20200604_135955902.jpg

Wow! That Guatemalan home roast I did last weekend is my best yet! I roasted the beans in smaller batches and the outcome was so much better. Could actually hear the "crack". Both cracks with regard to the first batch which I roasted a little past second crack. The second & third batches I roasted (approximately) half way between first and second crack. Finally I blended all the beans and let them rest until today. Fantastic!!

The process didn't take much longer than it does doing two larger batches and it seemed to give me more control over the whole process.

IMG-3601.jpg

I was curious to see if I could get a darker roast with the Coffee Bean Corral Mexican that @NurseDave and @Dave in KY discussed. My Mexican Chiapas beans did seem dry, but the other bag of Mexican Turquesa benas emitted the usual amount of vapor. Chiapas are cooling; Turquesas are still roasting.

I'm doing this in the shadow of my patio, and the color looks darker in the shade than in sunlight. I want to see oil with this batch. The first batch did not ooze oil.

Pictures later.

A8599C8D-E865-4EA9-B531-DF6AA3912B9D_1_201_a.jpeg
Here are today's roasts. The Chiapas were first, clocking in at between 35-40 minutes; the Turquesas were well into second crack at 45 minutes.

Ya, those are crazy long times too. Wonder what’s up with it.

The Chiapas is smoother, with less body than the Turquesas. Tastes good in its own right, and should blend well with other beans. (y)

Back