The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

3EC3EA62-BBAE-47F8-A3C1-AFD27FA17AFA_1_201_a.jpeg
Today's roast is two lbs of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. On left is the light-medium roast; on right is medium. I slowed down the roast by dropping the temp to 220C throughout. Seeing them side by side makes me wonder if they'll taste appreciably different. Maybe not, we'll see. As long as they taste good. Yirgacheffe is said to taste best at these roasting levels. I'll know in a couple of days.

Have a great Sunday, Cadre!

Ok. We know what beans you buy. What you roast them in and what you use to grind and brew them. What do you drink out of? This is my workhorse at work. Defaulted to it because it’s the right size. Can fit a medium or large Keurig brew and the aero press fits perfectly on top. Only draw back is that it has metal in it so I can’t zap cold coffee. I keep thinking I need to bring something else microwaveable.
8F7DB5F4-E76C-4A8E-8D6B-816639AA1BE7.jpeg

Anyone else think about their coffee's journey? I do this with cigar and wine from time to time. This morning while I was counting down from 25 to push the plunger on my morning brew my mind wandered that way. These beans started their lives in Guatemala in a field I can't even imagine. Maybe on a hillside, or could be huge commercial run field that looks more like the Midwest than I'd think. Then picked, sorted, pulped, fermented, dried and packaged. Send to a distributor, then a whole saler. These particular beans were then purchased by a roasting company just over the hill from us on the coast, roated, repackaged in 1lb bags and then delivered to our door by the owner. Eventually brought to my office, ground by hand to be soaked in water for a mere 25 seconds to make my morning cup of coffee. I wonder if the person planing the seeds in Guatemala ever wonder where their coffee goes.

Roasted the rest of the 1st bag of Guatemalan. I'll do some more in a few days. I like doing it more often and having it fresher plus I want to experiment. If I roast them all up right away, it's too late to adjust after tasting it. Pulled these a little earlier than the first batch. Just starting second crack instead of going well into second crack like last time. I enjoyed the other but curious of the difference.
IMG_20200514_140207943.jpg

Anyone else think about their coffee's journey? I do this with cigar and wine from time to time. This morning while I was counting down from 25 to push the plunger on my morning brew my mind wandered that way. These beans started their lives in Guatemala in a field I can't even imagine. Maybe on a hillside, or could be huge commercial run field that looks more like the Midwest than I'd think. Then picked, sorted, pulped, fermented, dried and packaged. Send to a distributor, then a whole saler. These particular beans were then purchased by a roasting company just over the hill from us on the coast, roated, repackaged in 1lb bags and then delivered to our door by the owner. Eventually brought to my office, ground by hand to be soaked in water for a mere 25 seconds to make my morning cup of coffee. I wonder if the person planing the seeds in Guatemala ever wonder where their coffee goes.
to help with your imaginings, if i am remembering correctly the coffee trees/shrubs need volcanic soil and so, most if not all are grown in the foothills and mountainsides of volcanic mountain ranges.

So @uacowboy recommended this company to me. Adventure Coffee Roasting LLC | Adventure Coffee Roasting LLC

It arrived today and the customer service is what stood out to me. Right after my order I got an email from the owner where we had some back and forth and discussed coffee. Looking forward to roasting this up

View attachment 24244
I have had both the Peru and the yirgacheffe and both were great. I have a pound of the Bali blue Krishna that is going to be my next roast. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the blends.

I have had both the Peru and the yirgacheffe and both were great. I have a pound of the Bali blue Krishna that is going to be my next roast. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the blends.

I will definitely post reviews. Not sure what I'm going to roast first. Probably going to be Eenie meenie minie mo tomorrow

Beans landing today. And not a moment too soon!!! I'm running dangerously low.

Well I kinda figure it's like wine. The good stuff comes from hillsides and is tenderly cared for and picked by hand. The stuff that is made in 10s of thousands of cases comes from huge industrial vineyards in farm country and irrigated and harvested by machine. I'm betting the coffee in a big can isn't from the picture above.

Well I kinda figure it's like wine. The good stuff comes from hillsides and is tenderly cared for and picked by hand. The stuff that is made in 10s of thousands of cases comes from huge industrial vineyards in farm country and irrigated and harvested by machine. I'm betting the coffee in a big can isn't from the picture above.
Yeah I agree the good stuff definitely requires more care.

For imaging purposes.

Big can coffee..
Field-Mapping-image-5.jpg

Coffee we like.
mapping-1.jpg

Back