The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

@Cvargo I set the grinder at 10 cups for my Bunn maker and got more than twice as much as the 5 scoops I normally use. Guess I need to figure their calculations out to get the correct amount ground ?
On my electric grinder at home the numbers don't have any actual meaning beyond a memorable place to set the dial. if you do a finer grind and a coarse grind on the same number you get way more grinds on the coarse setting because it just runs for a paticular amount of time vs grinding a particular about of coffee. just have to figure it out via trial and error. i started conservative and went up.

So I did my first half pound of Guatemalan coffee roasting this morning. Only takes about 20 minutes at 220 Celsius to get them a good bit into second crack. we like a darker roast and I'm hoping this will turn out. They look good but the taste will tell. And then I can adjust up or down from there what I want. Here's some pics of before and after. I'll have to upload short videos of startup, first crack at 10 minute mark and around the 20-minute mark pretty close to when I remove them to the colander to cool them well into second crack.
IMG_20200507_105119798.jpgIMG_20200507_105115899.jpgIMG_20200507_105317052.jpgIMG_20200507_110740207.jpg

I probably should have read the instructions which may have told me to burn the unit off for a while first. If I don't survive tasting this when I try it let that be a warning to anybody else attempting to use this roaster. 😜😎

That looks pretty good Dave. Give it a day or two and then brew it up!

Oh it's hard but you really need to let the beans "gas" after roasting for at least 24 hours. Preferably 48.
idk. i think it really depends on your brew method. I regularly brew 12 hrs after roasting and yes it does foam up more, it doesn't have any effect on the flavor. I would wait before drip or espresso or any other enclosed brew method or things may get messy.

I’ve been fortunate that I can do my job from home, and even more fortunate that the coffee I make here is about a bajillion times better than the K cup stuff we have at work. In any given day, I’m using some combination of Bonavita drip, Chemex pour over, Aeropress, French Press and small Bialetti Moka pot. This working from home thing ain’t so bad.

Back