The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

I'm going to start experimenting with slower roasts at lower temps next time. Instead of 240C from start to finish, I may either try 240C till first crack and dialing back to 200C, or may go with 220 till first crack then dialing back to 200. Not sure. What do you all think?

I'm going to start experimenting with slower roasts at lower temps next time. Instead of 240C from start to finish, I may either try 240C till first crack and dialing back to 200C, or may go with 220 till first crack then dialing back to 200. Not sure. What do you all think?
I tend to use high heat(as close to the burner and i can get) till first crack, then i raise it up for lower heat until first crack is done. then i split the difference till second crack. i give that a few seconds to get fully under way then i pull from the heat and let second crack run on its own for 30-60 seconds before dumping the beans into a wire mesh colander to start cooling. my roast times are generally 10-12 minutes.

I tend to use high heat(as close to the burner and i can get) till first crack, then i raise it up for lower heat until first crack is done. then i split the difference till second crack. i give that a few seconds to get fully under way then i pull from the heat and let second crack run on its own for 30-60 seconds before dumping the beans into a wire mesh colander to start cooling. my roast times are generally 10-12 minutes.
Are you aiming for medium-dark? After first crack, the sugars begin their chemical reactions; after second crack the sugars begin to caramelize. Ideally, I'd like to bring it to just before second crack. Tough to do, but color helps me make my best guess. That's part of what makes this roasting stuff fun.

Are you aiming for medium-dark? After first crack, the sugars begin their chemical reactions; after second crack the sugars begin to caramelize. Ideally, I'd like to bring it to just before second crack. Tough to do, but color helps me make my best guess. That's part of what makes this roasting stuff fun.
yeah. after lots of trial and error i have found that with most beans i enjoy a Vienna or Med-Dark roast. a lot of people i have seen won't even consider it properly roasted if it doesn't at least hit the second crack. That is when some chemical reactions start and you begin to reveal some of the flavors you expect from coffee. for me Vienna is a balance between those dark roasty notes and the unique flavors of the beans themselves. I have also notice that pre-second crack beans are significantly harder than beans allowed to reach second crack. this will put extra stress on your grinder and since i hand grind at work i like it to be a bit easier and more consistent.

yeah. after lots of trial and error i have found that with most beans i enjoy a Vienna or Med-Dark roast. a lot of people i have seen won't even consider it properly roasted if it doesn't at least hit the second crack. That is when some chemical reactions start and you begin to reveal some of the flavors you expect from coffee. for me Vienna is a balance between those dark roasty notes and the unique flavors of the beans themselves. I have also notice that pre-second crack beans are significantly harder than beans allowed to reach second crack. this will put extra stress on your grinder and since i hand grind at work i like it to be a bit easier and more consistent.
Interesting. I'm finding I favor medium to medium-dark roasts. I want to drop the heat a bit to see what slower cooking times do to the flavor. Science, you know. I once mentioned that even when I don't get exactly what I'm aiming for, the coffee still tastes great. Experimentation doesn't seem to have a downside in that respect.

Interesting. I'm finding I favor medium to medium-dark roasts. I want to drop the heat a bit to see what slower cooking times do to the flavor. Science, you know. I once mentioned that even when I don't get exactly what I'm aiming for, the coffee still tastes great. Experimentation doesn't seem to have a downside in that respect.
Indeed! Unless you totally burn the beans its usually pretty good

There are different grades of Blue Mountain as well. When we were in Jamaica they had stuff from $20lb to over $100
Yeah it depends where on the mountain its from . The higher on the mountain the higher the quality and the price. The lower mountain stuff is a lot easier to find. I mean there are even keurig k cups of blue mountain out now but those I believe are from the lower part of the mountain.

Well I " found" this thread today..I will probably be asking some questions....Most of my family prefer dark roast coffees. My wife likes flavored coffees she has a red velvet flavored pre packaged she likes and my 5 year old twins like whatever I make.. If they are good in bed and don't mess up their room they get " coffee" when they get up which is very little coffee and a lot of milk but they walk around pretending to be zombies chanting coffee coffee until I make it for them.. After they get it they have to toast to the best day ever...the twins are so cute.......

Well I " found" this thread today..I will probably be asking some questions....Most of my family prefer dark roast coffees. My wife likes flavored coffees she has a red velvet flavored pre packaged she likes and my 5 year old twins like whatever I make.. If they are good in bed and don't mess up their room they get " coffee" when they get up which is very little coffee and a lot of milk but they walk around pretending to be zombies chanting coffee coffee until I make it for them.. After they get it they have to toast to the best day ever...the twins are so cute.......

Dark roast coffee is a crutch in my opinion. Love the coffee for the kids though lol

Dark roast coffee is a crutch in my opinion. Love the coffee for the kids though lol
Yeah the Twinkies love their morning coffee.....Why do you call it a crutch? It just seem fuller to me if its just medium it seems weak . Just for some background I brew it in various ways with either a French press or drip or in the keurig 2.0 with either the standard k cups or the refillable standard size or the karafe size reusable cup.

Yeah the Twinkies love their morning coffee.....Why do you call it a crutch? It just seem fuller to me if its just medium it seems weak . Just for some background I brew it in various ways with either a French press or drip or in the keurig 2.0 with either the standard k cups or the refillable standard size or the karafe size reusable cup.

Well let me say ever since switching to roasting my own beans I think a medium roast... Shortly after the second crack produces the most flavor of the bean

Well let me say ever since switching to roasting my own beans I think a medium roast... Shortly after the second crack produces the most flavor of the bean
Currently I haven't went down this rabbit hole yet of roasting yet so this part of coffee is all new to me... I appear to have much to learn
so-much-to-71d0c2d8b1.jpg

Currently I haven't went down this rabbit hole yet of roasting yet so this part of coffee is all new to me... I appear to have much to learn
View attachment 22814

Oh much agreed. I think store bought just wants to taste like coffee which is fine... And honestly here I will pick a medium-dark. But once you start roasting or get a freshly roasted coffee you begin to taste the subtleties. Also I am not a fan of k-cups they serve their purpose don't get me wrong and in a pinch I'll use them... But they are like canned shaving cream.

Oh much agreed. I think store bought just wants to taste like coffee which is fine... And honestly here I will pick a medium-dark. But once you start roasting or get a freshly roasted coffee you begin to taste the subtleties. Also I am not a fan of k-cups they serve their purpose don't get me wrong and in a pinch I'll use them... But they are like canned shaving cream.
I use the French press most of the time or the bunn drip . The keurig is the least used by me.

Back