The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

Mr @Cvargo is living it up this morning. First a lumberjack sized breakfast and now this!

I’m happy to see another obsession of mine is addressed here. Coffee is an integral part of my day with the first cup shortly after I get out of the shower, sometimes finished before lathering, sometimes after shaving with the second cup following closely. My cups are currently about 5 oz. lungos. Typically black with no sweetener.

Like all obsessions, I started with ground coffee (Starbucks for years) in a drip coffee maker. Next I progressed to French Press and in addition to the great coffee added significant fiber to my diet. Next stop was the Aeropress. What a simple easy clean delicious cup. I then moved to a Saeco superautomatic. It is easy to make a great cup of coffee once dialed in, but it is not maintenance free. I need to clean the brew unit weekly, empty the coffee pucks very regularly, fill the reservoir, add beans to the hopper, descale on occasion, etc etc.

With the Saeco i now make cappuccinos and flat whites, mostly for others but also for dessert.

A superautomatic does not however like oily beans. This forced me to change some of my beans. Some darker roasts work but not the oily ones. Because of this a new universe of coffee notes was opened up to me. For me, a dark roast will make bad beans much more acceptable, but may also hide some of the other notes.

Currently, I am rotating between Velton’s Banzai Blend and Victrola Roasters Triborough Blend. They are usually consumed within 3 to 6 weeks of the roast date.

Attached are the obligatory images of the milk drinks.
1577824674531.jpeg1577825126397.jpeg
Good shaves, good coffee and a happy new year to all.

I’m happy to see another obsession of mine is addressed here. Coffee is an integral part of my day with the first cup shortly after I get out of the shower, sometimes finished before lathering, sometimes after shaving with the second cup following closely. My cups are currently about 5 oz. lungos. Typically black with no sweetener.

Like all obsessions, I started with ground coffee (Starbucks for years) in a drip coffee maker. Next I progressed to French Press and in addition to the great coffee added significant fiber to my diet. Next stop was the Aeropress. What a simple easy clean delicious cup. I then moved to a Saeco superautomatic. It is easy to make a great cup of coffee once dialed in, but it is not maintenance free. I need to clean the brew unit weekly, empty the coffee pucks very regularly, fill the reservoir, add beans to the hopper, descale on occasion, etc etc.

With the Saeco i now make cappuccinos and flat whites, mostly for others but also for dessert.

A superautomatic does not however like oily beans. This forced me to change some of my beans. Some darker roasts work but not the oily ones. Because of this a new universe of coffee notes was opened up to me. For me, a dark roast will make bad beans much more acceptable, but may also hide some of the other notes.

Currently, I am rotating between Velton’s Banzai Blend and Victrola Roasters Triborough Blend. They are usually consumed within 3 to 6 weeks of the roast date.

Attached are the obligatory images of the milk drinks.
View attachment 14149View attachment 14151
Good shaves, good coffee and a happy new year to all.
yeah Oily beans are really pretty much burnt beans(looking at you French Roast!) or Old beans. a lot of roasters that use cheap beans to cut costs use that to still deliver a consistent product. You can achieve a good dark roast without them getting oily and retain a lot of the good flavors with a solid roasty note. My preference runs in the neighborhood of a vienna roast with is pretty much a med-dark. nice and roasty but still lots of the character of the bean can come through. I also like single origin coffees so that you can really get a taste for the region vs the more mellow flavors you get with blends.

Here's to good shaves and Strong coffee!

Tried roasting beans. Cold and windy outside and took a good 30min for the first batch. Guess I’m heading to the store.

2nd cup went better. One big issue I have is the hot water is coming from an office water dispenser so I can't hold the aeropress straight under it or have much control. My first thought is getting a pour over kettle so I can do the whole thing in my office, but it feels like this is getting a bit out of control.

2nd cup went better. One big issue I have is the hot water is coming from an office water dispenser so I can't hold the aeropress straight under it or have much control. My first thought is getting a pour over kettle so I can do the whole thing in my office, but it feels like this is getting a bit out of control.
before i switched to a regular electric kettle(the office hot water dispenser isn't hot enough for prime coffee brewing) i would just grab a disposible cup that was big enough and keep using it for hot water since that was all that ever touched it.

So... How'd you do that? lol
Well, I was using an app for timing of the process, which I now see is totally unnecessary when I'm using the water dispenser because the time to pour the water is out of my control and the time it takes me to get back into my office to flip it over etc is pretty much the brew time. Anyway, the timer made me rush things, I hadn't pre-wet the filter so I was having a hard time getting it screwed on and obviously didn't take the 2 seconds I should have to make sure it was tight. Flipped it over and the whole thing dumped out. Super lucky most of it got in the cup!

For years we've been getting coffee at a local shop, having it ground there. The location nearest to us closed, so we decide to get a grinder and grind our own so we don't have to list their other location, being further away.

This might have been the best decision we made in 2019. I had no idea how much of a difference it would make.

It's a Wilfa Start Uniform - it has a flat burr grinder, and based on my research has the most consistent kind you can get without spending 3x more. We're very happy with it.

IMG_7923.jpeg

Back