The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

Ok, so I brought a measuring cup with me today to transport the water. I did it the other way this time with the aeropress on the cup the whole time. I also used the app's recipe where you only use 150ml of water to brew, Everything went fine this time. The coffee is nice and smooth, but fairly weak. Next time I'll try more water during the brewing before I add more grounds.

Okay...so the crappy drip coffee maker that we got from Costco (to be honest I have never been thrilled with) started to heat WAY to hot, leaked from the bottom, and would randomly turn itself to "Clean" mode. Needless to say...that coffee maker is going to the trash bin!

The wife did some research and went ahead and bought the Bonavita Metropolitan.

It's a very simple design and minimal in function. It has a wide showerhead and glass carafe which I really like. It seems to keep a constant temp right around 200 degrees. I am still working with the coffee to water ratio. Started out with five tablespoons to eight cups of water. Way to weak. Upped it to six tablespoons. Better...but I need to get a little more flavor out of it. Next pot I will up the coffee to seven tablespoons and play around with the "pre-infusion" mode where it "blooms" the grounds.

Anyway...the two things I don't like so far are that the it's only an eight cup brewer. It's not a big deal really...just means that I will be making a pot for myself in the morning and then likely a pot for the wife. The other thing is that the warmer plate times out at 40 minutes. Again not a biggie as it probably doesn't need to be on for longer than that and after drinking my coffee this morning...I really don't need the warmer plate on for much more than 40 minutes.

Anyway...thought I would share.

1578148886556.png

There are a lot of people who really like the Bonvita. The showerhead design allows for even dispersing of water. We really want a Technivorm...but can't see spending over $300 on a coffee maker.

There are a lot of people who really like the Bonvita. The showerhead design allows for even dispersing of water. We really want a Technivorm...but can't see spending over $300 on a coffee maker.
I have a 4 or 5 year old Bonavita, a 5 cup thermal carafe machine, and I love it! It even has a steep feature that pauses the brewing after wetting the grounds. An interweb search for "coffee golden ratios" should give you some help. I bought a cheap kitchen scale and use 1:17 coffee to water ratio most often. For my machine, that is 42g for 25 oz of water.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a 4 or 5 year old Bonavita, a 5 cup thermal carafe machine, and I love it! It even has a steep feature that pauses the brewing after wetting the grounds. An interweb search for "coffee golden ratios" should give you some help. I bought a cheap kitchen scale and use 1:17 coffee to water ratio most often. For my machine, that is 42g for 25 oz of water.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Having the same coffee maker for four or five years? That's amazing! I think the longest I have ever had one was about three years. It seems like every two years I am replacing one because something goes wrong with it.

I have checked some of the ratios out there...but to be honest...I don't know if any of them are really what I want. I just use the old trial and error method for a couple of days. Today I am using seven tablespoons and no pre-infusion. Right now I am enjoying a really good cup of coffee. Next pot I will keep with the seven tablespoons and try the pre-infusion.

Thanks Eric for the info!

Not competing or anything but we are at 7 years with this Bunn maker. Solid maker without all the bells and whistles that some may want/need but that's what keeps it going simple and solid choice.

Not competing or anything but we are at 7 years with this Bunn maker. Solid maker without all the bells and whistles that some may want/need but that's what keeps it going simple and solid choice.
I considered a Bunn for a while. But there was something I didn't like about it. Can't remember what exactly. But they are great coffee makers. In a perfect world every cup I drink would be from freshly ground beans that were freshly roasted and brewed either in a French Press or in a pour over. But most of the time...well...I ain't got time for that. Right now I am really digging this Bonavita!

I considered a Bunn for a while. But there was something I didn't like about it. Can't remember what exactly. But they are great coffee makers. In a perfect world every cup I drink would be from freshly ground beans that were freshly roasted and brewed either in a French Press or in a pour over. But most of the time...well...I ain't got time for that. Right now I am really digging this Bonavita!
Glad it sounds like a good fit. May consider it myself down the road if needed 👍

Glad it sounds like a good fit. May consider it myself down the road if needed 👍
I do wish it would brew more at once than it does though. I just went from a 14 cup maker (and between the wife and I, we almost always drank the whole pot in the morning) to an 8 cup maker. It might be a tad inconvenient...but so far it makes a superior cup of coffee.

Okay, so today I used 15g of beans and 10oz of water. Did it the standard method letting it sit for 30 seconds before pressing. First sip was a little bitter. After that it was smooth, but could use a stronger flavor. To do that I just need to add more beans?

I agree. Using a french press, I started out with 20g of beans to 300g of water. I found it to be a little lacking in strength. So I upped the amount of coffee to 23g to the same 300g of water. My satisfaction rose significantly after doing that. I'm sticking with that ratio for now.

Back