The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

I do recommend the inverted method @Shavin’ Yeti spoke of myself, it allows you a lot of control and keeps the process from feeling rushed. I’m sure some coffee snob would come along and say it results in too much exposure or you can’t count the time well or something but my taste buds don’t complain. I have a CHEAP metal filter but highly recommend the paper filter be used with it unless you want fine coffee grounds in your cup. The paper ones can indeed be reused especially when you have prefiltered with a metal screen ...but it’s really convenient to press the whole puck of used coffee, filter and all, into the trash.
I find one scoop of grounds makes a decent small cup of coffee, two scoops makes a good strong -maybe really strong- cup and 4 scoops makes a double espresso to curl a monkeys tail. You can add hot water to the strong pressed coffee but that seems strange to me so I don’t do it often.

I've only watched one video about the taste difference of the two methods and they concluded they taste the same. Which would make sense. It's still just ground sitting in water. I guess I'll see which one seems like less a potential for mess in the office setting. Because of that as well, I'll be using the CBL method of dump everything.

I have done both ways and I prefer to brew right over my cup(don't remember which method this actually is) and what i will do is bloom a bit, then a full water pour, let it sit for 15-20 seconds while the water filters through a bit, then top up the water and put the plunger in. I normally brew a tad strong and top up my coffee cup but this way lets more water contact the grounds directly. i guess its kind of a hybrid pour over/pressed brew. Either way its a darn good cup o coffee!

So fun fact i noticed recently about coffee roasting, Not only do the beans expand to about an extra 50% of their original size but they also loose nearly a quarter of their mass.

Just pressed mine. Did you only use 2 scoops and 8oz?

@Cvargo I don’t think I’ll use that hand grinder again. It took a loooooong time to grind enough for 2 scoops. Plus it would be irritating to those in the next office. Guess I’ll grind a week’s worth and get a nice container to keep it in.

So I did two scoops as my scale doesn’t come til later today. And 8oz water. It was a bit strong so diluted out with another 2oz ish and it’s nice and smooth. I’m worried how much coffee I’ll start drinking like this

So I did two scoops as my scale doesn’t come til later today. And 8oz water. It was a bit strong so diluted out with another 2oz ish and it’s nice and smooth. I’m worried how much coffee I’ll start drinking like this

We have large coffee cups so I did 3 scoops coffee water to the 3 line, then added water to cup to bring to full size cup. Delicious!

The hand grinder is part my daily workout routine. I grind morning and night but use an electric one at the office to grind on demand.

I also learned a while back that you can use the filters multiple times kind of like you would with de razor blades. I just rinse off and dry flat. I figure the initial batch of filters (like you have) will last me forever.
Yup, 3-4 times per filter for me.

Back