The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

Since I bought them and I'm still waiting on my knock-off aeropress, I tried the k-cups again. I ground the beans a little finer since it was a little weak last time and filled them all the way to the top edge. Last time I left a little space thinking the nozzle needs to make a hole for itself. Well, it did make it stronger. A little too far the other way. But it still doesn't have the flavor as at home. Stronger but not at flavorful if that makes any sense. Looking forward to trying the aeropress. Also ordered a hand crank grinder. I'm determined to make the in office coffee an experience unto itself.

Let's make some coffee!!

I like to use the "pour-over" method.

First let's talk beans.. I order from Dean's Beans. Today I had the first cup of this year's "Holiday Blend" which contains Nicaraguan and Sumatran beans.

happy_holidays_blend_base.jpg

Let's measure! Typically I use a 17:1 ration water to grounds but lately I've been experimenting with different ratios. This morning I went with 15:1. 520g water to 34.66666g beans (or there about).

IMG-2515.jpg

Let's get the water going! 205° is where I normally brew. Since this is a blend of dark and medium roasts I may try a slightly lower temperature tomorrow.

IMG-2517.jpg

Ready to go! I'm using a Hario V60 brewer and going right into my travel mug. It's a great "quick" set up. I like to use it when I travel as well.

IMG-2518.jpg

First pour! Right at 70 grams and let the grounds soak for 30 seconds. Look at the beautiful "bloom"!

IMG-2519.jpg

After 30 seconds begin a slow and steady pour. Done at around the 2:30 mark.

IMG-2520.jpg

Coffee time!! :coffee: 🙂

Dang man! Respect for the nerdiness fo sho! I really need to be paying attention to more things than I currently do. I'm just lucky if I can remember which beans I liked more over others. I'm still working on getting the right roast down, but my last batch I think I hit the sweet spot. Should find out next weekend when they are brewed up.

Dang man! Respect for the nerdiness fo sho! I really need to be paying attention to more things than I currently do. I'm just lucky if I can remember which beans I liked more over others. I'm still working on getting the right roast down, but my last batch I think I hit the sweet spot. Should find out next weekend when they are brewed up.
I have one of those "Air Pop" style roasters but I didn't like the inconsistency of the finished product. I'd love to have a drum roaster.

Let's make some coffee!!

I like to use the "pour-over" method.

First let's talk beans.. I order from Dean's Beans. Today I had the first cup of this year's "Holiday Blend" which contains Nicaraguan and Sumatran beans.

View attachment 13007

Let's measure! Typically I use a 17:1 ration water to grounds but lately I've been experimenting with different ratios. This morning I went with 15:1. 520g water to 34.66666g beans (or there about).

View attachment 13008

Let's get the water going! 205° is where I normally brew. Since this is a blend of dark and medium roasts I may try a slightly lower temperature tomorrow.

View attachment 13009

Ready to go! I'm using a Hario V60 brewer and going right into my travel mug. It's a great "quick" set up. I like to use it when I travel as well.

View attachment 13010

First pour! Right at 70 grams and let the grounds soak for 30 seconds. Look at the beautiful "bloom"!

View attachment 13011

After 30 seconds begin a slow and steady pour. Done at around the 2:30 mark.

View attachment 13012

Coffee time!! :coffee: 🙂
That was a great post. I have been really enjoying pour over at work but I must admit I've been a bad coffee snob. I haven't been weighing anything but my results are good and consistent enough for me. On the other hand I change bean origin with every roast so that changes things up constantly anyway.

Drum roasters are awesome but good grief are they expensive! I'm using a pan style roaster over open flames right now. I can do about a half pound per roast but I'm working on a DIY design so I can roast at least a pound at a time.

That was a great post. I have been really enjoying pour over at work but I must admit I've been a bad coffee snob. I haven't been weighing anything but my results are good and consistent enough for me. On the other hand I change bean origin with every roast so that changes things up constantly anyway.

Drum roasters are awesome but good grief are they expensive! I'm using a pan style roaster over open flames right now. I can do about a half pound per roast but I'm working on a DIY design so I can roast at least a pound at a time.
Nice! I may have to look into the pan roasters. Where did you get yours?

I've been looking at one of these. Angel Long Coffee Bean Roaster.. Looks pretty nice! $124.99 on Amazon.

61HflcFH6XL._SX466_.jpg

That's pretty cool. I got mine from Amazon a few years ago but they have been oddly hard to find since. I'll see if I can fine one.

I was able to score a REALLY cool REALLY old copper drum style roaster at the antique store but I can't show a photo yet because my wife said its a Christmas present and took it away from me and wrapped it. It looks a lot like a small copper bowling ball with a crank handle ...cant wait ti use it.

And @NurseDave the knock of aeropress should impress you a lot. if you have a keurig available the water temp from the machine will do the job and the little hand crank grinder will grind enough for a big cup of double espresso strength. Or you can press the cup and add even more hot water for a strong cup of coffee. I think i would recommend using two paper filters, i use a paper filter with a metal one on top because i kept tearing the paper one when i stirred.
If you use the little grey reusable keurig k-cup thing (the one with a filter inside not the one that IS a filter itself) you can modify it some to get a little stronger brew without making the grind so fine it leaves coffee grounds in your cup.

I was able to score a REALLY cool REALLY old copper drum style roaster at the antique store but I can't show a photo yet because my wife said its a Christmas present and took it away from me and wrapped it.
Oh man! That's some hard cheese right there! 😧

Back