The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

for me there is a sweet spot between Med and dark that is the absolute peak of flavor. it can vary a bit bean to bean so i am curious to hear your thoughts

I finally made it to the Java Love store and was intent on getting a pound of their Mokha Java beans. They looked at me funny and said they don't have it in the store and that I would have to order it online. Which means I'm only getting 12 oz. of beans for what I paying for a pound in the store. So, there I am and I didn't want to leave empty handed so I quickly scanned what medium roasts they had and ended up with their Good Mourning Blend. It wasn't until I got home when I really read the description and found that it is a mix of medium and LIGHT roasts. Interestingly enough I had already made my first pot in the french press and was underwhelmed. It tasted light to me. So when I read the description afterwards it made sense. I'll probably up the amount of my coffee to about 1:12 from 1:15. That means about 25 grams of coffee to 300 grams of water. And now I'm going to do some real homework on a good medium roast that really is a medium roast. I just view this as part of the journey. My coffee journey. I've been through the shaving journey so coffee is next.

Ok. Well, that didn't take long. I found another roaster in the same town as the current roaster I was buying from and they list Mocha Java on their website. My concern is that while it's listed in their offerings, it doesn't show up on the drop down menu. I'm hoping they are just out of it at the moment until they roast up some more. I'll have to flesh that one out a bit. There is another coffee shop nearby that sells La Colombe beans. I've tried a couple of them. Corsica and Rogue. Neither did it for me. I may have to try their Lyon blend as the flavor notes sound awesome. Burnt caramel, crunchy brownie and toffee. I'm actually looking forward to this tasting journey now that I know there are lots of options nearby.

Ok all you coffee lovers and coffee experts out there. I have a question specifically related to French Press brewing. The question is, does blooming the grounds say for 30 seconds with some of the water before adding the rest of the water make any difference in a full immersion type of brew method? I've read where people says it allows the ground some time to off gas before adding the rest of the water and I've read where doing so does nothing since all of the water is in contact with all of the grounds for the entire time. I'm not a science guy so looking for some opinions on this topic. Thanks in advance.

The folks on YouTube swear by it. I've never noticed a difference. If gas comes off when you pour in a little water, why doesn't it do the same if you just pour all of the water in? I will pre-wet grounds, however, to make sure they all get soaked and there are no lingering dry pockets.

For full immersion brewing I don't get any difference. I just pour in the water, still and let it go till times up. Gasses we get out either way and stirring ensures everything is good and wet.

Blooming it very important for things like pour over though for sure. Tastes way better than if you skip it.

I'm on the downhill slide of my K-cups at work so made the purchase of some of those refillable ones. Now that I'm trying to drink my coffee black, I'm hoping that using the stuff I roast at home will make work coffee more palatable.

you could just get yourself an AeroPress. they make a way better cup of coffee than the K-cup machines can.

you could just get yourself an AeroPress. they make a way better cup of coffee than the K-cup machines can.
The deal is we don't have a sink in our office. So anything that needs to be cleaned out needs to be taken down to the bathroom. Not a huge deal, but inconvenient on a daily basis. Otherwise I might just make a pot of coffee each day.

The deal is we don't have a sink in our office. So anything that needs to be cleaned out needs to be taken down to the bathroom. Not a huge deal, but inconvenient on a daily basis. Otherwise I might just make a pot of coffee each day.
you can clean an AeroPress with a damp napkin and be done. the used grounds and filter just pop into the trash. Probably easier than cleaning the fillable K-cups.

you can clean an AeroPress with a damp napkin and be done. the used grounds and filter just pop into the trash. Probably easier than cleaning the fillable K-cups.
Oooooooh, I'll look into it kind sir. And I know I still owe you a razor. I just don't know that when I home after work and should be packing it up.

You can get a really cheap knock off aeropress (like $6) that works really well, worth the $6 for sure. I got a reusable metal filter but if you wanted to you could actually rinse and reuse the paper ones. I watched a video made by the maker of the aeropress where he describes doing just that, here you have the guy that makes the darned thing telling you to just rinse the paper filter and use it until it can't handle the job anymore. I take the elCheapo press camping because it is pretty much self cleaning, think of it like a HUGE syringe ...the plunger scrapes the sides clean as you press and when you plunge you can push the grounds out the bottom by unscrewing the bottom and removing the piece that holds the filter paper.

It does sound easier to clean than a french press. I bought and tried one of those at home and really wasn't impressed.

For those that have used the reusable K-cups with their own coffee, do you just pour the grinds in or did you pack it in? Tried it today and didn't think about packing it in at all. It certainly is better than what you buy in the store, but too weak.

For those that have used the reusable K-cups with their own coffee, do you just pour the grinds in or did you pack it in? Tried it today and didn't think about packing it in at all. It certainly is better than what you buy in the store, but too weak.
I just pour in the grinds. But then I don’t like stick-your-fork-in-it coffee.

I tried that once. Didn't end well. Once the grinds got wet and expanded they forced the top open and went everywhere. The issue with a Keurig is brew time/grind of the beans. With the speed and of at which that machine brews you need a fine grind for good extraction, but the filter of the reusable cup may not work well with a fine enough grind.

If you want to try something I say grind finer, but pack it in at your own risk.

I just pour in the grinds. But then I don’t like stick-your-fork-in-it coffee.
Ever had Turkish coffee? Might change your mind!

You can get a really cheap knock off aeropress (like $6) that works really well, worth the $6 for sure. I got a reusable metal filter but if you wanted to you could actually rinse and reuse the paper ones. I watched a video made by the maker of the aeropress where he describes doing just that, here you have the guy that makes the darned thing telling you to just rinse the paper filter and use it until it can't handle the job anymore. I take the elCheapo press camping because it is pretty much self cleaning, think of it like a HUGE syringe ...the plunger scrapes the sides clean as you press and when you plunge you can push the grounds out the bottom by unscrewing the bottom and removing the piece that holds the filter paper.
Do you have a link to the clone?

Back