The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

That may be it. The can I use for mine is an Ily? Coffee can that has the vent on the bottom. I know you don't want oxygen getting in but you do want the CO2 out I think

That's what I've read multiple times and was the primary reason I bought one of them to store my pound of beans. I don't roast. But I believe I am getting beans that are roasted within a week of purchase. I think mine is a Coffee Gator. And I bought a bunch of extra filters as well. Now you've got me looking forward to tomorrow morning's cafe au lait.

I don’t think the CO2 is necessary a bad thing that must be kept away so much as it is something you want to allow escape the beans. By allowing the co2 gas to vent you keep the pressure from building to a point that it prevents the co2 gas still trapped in the bean from “off-gassing”. Using a vented container keeps atmospheric pressure to a minimum while keeping oxygen from
Getting in. I use vented bags but will also use a larger ziplock that has has all the air removed. Within hours the once emptied bag will fill with co2 gas illustrating the amount of gas that is being let off.

I don’t think the CO2 is necessary a bad thing that must be kept away so much as it is something you want to allow escape the beans. By allowing the co2 gas to vent you keep the pressure from building to a point that it prevents the co2 gas still trapped in the bean from “off-gassing”. Using a vented container keeps atmospheric pressure to a minimum while keeping oxygen from
Getting in. I use vented bags but will also use a larger ziplock that has has all the air removed. Within hours the once emptied bag will fill with co2 gas illustrating the amount of gas that is being let off.

You are correct. CO2 isn't bad for the beans per se. But freshly roasted beans do the bulk of their degassing during the first few days after being roasted. I've read that using freshly roasted beans while they are quickly expelling lots of CO2 can cause the extraction to be inconsistent and negatively impact the taste of the coffee brewed. So, you want to use the beans about 2 to 7 days after they have been roasted, depending upon the darkness of the roast. So, having the beans in a container that does not allow CO2 to escape may not be bad for the beans, unless not having an outlet for the CO2 causes them to slow down the degassing. Not sure if that can happen though, in which case the CO2 will build up in the container until it's opened.

You are correct. CO2 isn't bad for the beans per se. But freshly roasted beans do the bulk of their degassing during the first few days after being roasted. I've read that using freshly roasted beans while they are quickly expelling lots of CO2 can cause the extraction to be inconsistent and negatively impact the taste of the coffee brewed. So, you want to use the beans about 2 to 7 days after they have been roasted, depending upon the darkness of the roast. So, having the beans in a container that does not allow CO2 to escape may not be bad for the beans, unless not having an outlet for the CO2 causes them to slow down the degassing. Not sure if that can happen though, in which case the CO2 will build up in the container until it's opened.

I'm guess it is the same as a liquid in a sealed container. There will be evaporation or loss of carbonation up to a certain pressure and then it stays there until that pressure is released, at which point more gas can be released by the beans. as far how it effects the flavor i can only guess that excess CO2 may play some role in the brewing process that disrupts the desired mechanisms from the norm. Such as foaming up and causing less interaction of the grounds with the water.

but that is all speculation.

I’ve been doing a LOT of cold brew lately so I have to keep up with the roasting. Here’s a quick time laps of my last roast. My modified roaster can do about a half pound of beans and a time with little trouble. A 10 minute roast time is a little long unless I drop to medium at first crack but a 7 min on high does a great dark roast.

Mystery solved. My issues with time are certainly temp and wind related. It’s a nice sunny day here (which is odd), warmish with little or no wind. Cranked it up to high, turned it up to 9.9 and let it go. Last time I did that I needed to add about 4 more minutes to it. This time instead of adding more time I turned it to cool with .5 left.

Today I had one last regular macchiato before I quit caffeine, alcohol, and carbonation for a while (or forever, depending on how I feel without them).

Any recommendations on a good decaf that's sold at grocery stores?

Today I had one last regular macchiato before I quit caffeine, alcohol, and carbonation for a while (or forever, depending on how I feel without them).

Any recommendations on a good decaf that's sold at grocery stores?
Recommended to me and I enjoy it.
Sweet & Spicy Caffeine Free Tea, Good Earth Teas

I'll admin Dave, I have enjoyed many a fine cup (jug) of FRESH roasted coffee but there having brewed up some coffee I had bought fresh roasted but never opened many months ago the difference in taste is minimal. HOWEVER, once the older, once fresh roasted, stuff was opened the quality in taste degraded to a point i did not like it at all. At least the basic super market stuff starts off mediocre and stays that way indefinitely. Great score on the Pete's coffee, it would have to be pretty bad to make it worth less than a buck a bag.

This is more of a what are you waiting to be delivered post but it's coffee related so I thought I'd put it here. Waiting on a box of K-cups (blasphemy), Donut Shop Medium Roast. I use these when I'm stretched for time and can't go through the entire process for the french press. I have a box of 72 on the way.

Image result for donut shop k cups

Now, for my french press I've been using a dark roast from Java Love called Bad Ass Brew. But I'm looking for something with better flavor. I've decided to try their Mokha Java which is a medium roast. Anxious to see the difference in taste.

Image result for java love mokha java

for me there is a sweet spot between Med and dark that is the absolute peak of flavor. it can vary a bit bean to bean so i am curious to hear your thoughts

I’m pretty open to different types of coffee but the coffee shop k-cup was one of the first k-cup types I tried and did not like at all. Now that i’m Roasting my own i’ve Found a bean that I dislike in a similar way (el Salvador Las Futas).

The java love looks familiar but I can’t say I’ve tried it. I’ve been enjoying lots of cold brew lately (except the Las Frutas) and the occasional pour over single cup using a simple militia pour over thing with paper filter.

for me there is a sweet spot between Med and dark that is the absolute peak of flavor. it can vary a bit bean to bean so i am curious to hear your thoughts

Once it pick up a pound of the Mokha Java I'll definitely give my thoughts on taste as compared to the dark roast that I've been drinking. I don't dislike the Bad Ass but I feel it's missing something in the flavor category. Kind of hard for me to describe. I think I'm looking for something that's got a little bit of a caramel flavor to soften what I consider the roughness of the dark roast. Not sure if its caramel or fruit or both. I'm kind of in the exploratory stage of my coffee brewing.

I’m pretty open to different types of coffee but the coffee shop k-cup was one of the first k-cup types I tried and did not like at all. Now that i’m Roasting my own i’ve Found a bean that I dislike in a similar way (el Salvador Las Futas).

The java love looks familiar but I can’t say I’ve tried it. I’ve been enjoying lots of cold brew lately (except the Las Frutas) and the occasional pour over single cup using a simple militia pour over thing with paper filter.

The Java Love is roasted in upstate NY near Woodstock. They have a shop up there and strangely enough two near me, both in Montclair. Not sure why they opened two so close to each other. And that's it. Their site says they are opening another shop in Rockland County, NY. I'm told they roast the beans and deliver them fresh each week. So I'm guessing I am getting beans roasted between a week and two weeks prior to my buying them. I've only tried one of their beans so far so I'm looking forward to something different. This is all new for me as I'm just learning about beans. Kind of like trying out my first shaving soaps after using nothing but creams.

Back