The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Reading Lounge

Okay, got it on Audible. I've quickly turned into a short attention span person. I prefer to be doing more than one thing at a time. So I'm always doing something else while listening to a book. Even if it's just out on the deck with a stick and watching the planes.
I hope you enjoy it my friend!

I read Titus Groan this summer, first in the Gormenghast series, and it took me forever. So much so that I’ve been having trouble picking up and reading the next book I’m working on. I decided to try Gormenghast, book 2 in the series, as an audiobook on Libby, and that’s working better for me than the physical book.

I read The Midnight Library last year and loved it. I agree with the beach read description. I also read The Satanic Verses about 25 years ago. Tough book. If anyone wants to read Rushdie at his best, try Midnight’s Children. It absolutely blew me away.

1665065418335.png

Finished the book on the left, starting the book on the right which has been a fun series up to this point.

Also on my long drives for football games I have been listening to this book on Audible which has been fantastic!

1665065546273.png

I should finish this today…

1665327107594.jpeg

While the author does lend some humor to this, I still want to cry because some of the subjects in this book are still relevant to some of our population. ‘Nough said - I I’m making sure my next few books are either fiction or at least, if I choose non-fiction, have a topic about a historically positive outcomes.

I picked these up today (unfortunately they weren’t part of the Amazon Kindle Unlimited program - but they were on sale of $2.99 or less today….

1665327320056.jpeg1665327348557.jpeg1665327366269.jpeg1665327451533.jpeg1665327648304.jpeg

And the one I have picked for my next read…..It’s a New York Times, USA Today, Washington Post Best Seller and Several book club recommendations…..so I am hopeful this is going to be a page turner (figuratively - I read on a Kindle 😂)

1665327737686.jpeg

Have a wonderful book week this week!

Datsalottabooks! :eek:
If you turn your head so an ear is pointed at the floor, do words fall out?

As for me, I have Splinter of the Mind's Eye coming soon via the inter-library loan program, so I thought I would re-read the original. I'll return to Empire and Return afterwards....
1665956770549.png

Just finished this weekend…..

1666019220958.png

Well, I can see why this was a bestseller and multiple book club recommendation. I was a little concerned, the story takes a little bit to get going, which I thought was unusual because the main character starts basically like a cross between the female version of The Time Travelers Wife and Cosette from Les Miserable - two books I thoroughly enjoyed…..but once it gets started - it is difficult to put down. And the ending has you hoping that there would be a follow up.

The book follows a inquisitive, young lady living in late 17th Century France…..due to circumstances that would impact her life, she makes a deal for her soul that gives her eternal life - with a twist - because making such a deal is always in the wording……and what ensues is that while her body is forever encapsulated in her 20 something body, and no harm can come to her the irony is that nobody remembers her. The story bounces back from modern times (as much as 2013 is considered modern 😂) and previously centuries. All along the way, she is visited upon the spirit with whom she makes the deal.

It is so difficult nowadays to have a surprise ending for a story - but this one did not disappoint. A Scuttle Soap Book Club recommendation. 5 Razors.

Last edited:
Ok, Next Up……Sticking with Fiction this week. And while you cannot judge a book by its cover (non-sense - I judge shaving soaps by their label all the time)….sorry inner monologue running amok. I have to admit, I picked this book based on the title. While it is not the same author, there was a book I read two years ago titled, All The Light We Cannot See, and I thought that fantastic - so this has got to be good, right? They take place in the same time period at least.

1666021184974.png

Last edited:
This is what happens when one of your children pays you back money loaned in Amazon gift cards……One of these is written by a Naval Officer vet that spent a life in the intelligence community - reminds me of Chalmers Johnson (one of my favorite people) who wrote The Sorrows of Empire and Blowback. Seems like everyone has a book out on the best sellers‘ list - Neil deGrasse Tyson - like being in a candy shop! Plus if I’m going to read a book on Physics - even one dumbed down to my level- then I have to get one non-thinking book to balance it out.

Plus Temple Grandin has a new one out - she’s an inspiration to me for Aidan.

Now to get crack-a-lackin‘ on my reading - thank goodness can watch the baseball playoffs by just listening……I once date a gal who got upset at me for taking a book to a game.

1666040166870.jpeg1666040180412.jpeg1666040227109.jpeg

1666040252877.jpeg1666040267891.jpeg1666040295149.jpeg

Aidan actually wanted to watch football (which took me by surprise) - so instead of taking on the fiction book, I read the Michael Fanone book in one sitting.

1666090372115.jpeg

While he describes himself as a redneck- his perspective is definitely not one of such. I found most impressive is how became a police officer in the first place as well as his work ethic. For those concerned that this autobiographical tome would be self-serving - it is not; Mr. Fanone himself describes himself in great detail, his imperfections. What I think is important about this book is that I think is not the documentation of the violence of that day - but more so, two things: (1) how the four insurgents that were charged in attacking him personally - how they became fanaticized by a cult, and (2) how a specific politicians not only abandoned them, but also the truth (I think it is important to document these individuals’ dishonor - because it will be sometime before we as a country will). Mr. Fanone does a great job recapping those events without politicizing it - and provides his recommendation not only addressing January 6th, but also the ills of our police force nationwide. Not bad for a guy with a GED.

Also on my long drives for football games I have been listening to this book on Audible which has been fantastic!

1665065546273.png
Finished this book today, and as the norm for me with Stephen King; a great story teller but a horrible concluder to the story. With most of his works I always feel like he rushes the ending.

Finished this book today, and as the norm for me with Stephen King; a great story teller but a horrible concluder to the story. With most of his works I always feel like he rushes the ending.
I still haven’t recovered from Pet Cemetery from back in the 80’s.

This is what happens when one of your children pays you back money loaned in Amazon gift cards……One of these is written by a Naval Officer vet that spent a life in the intelligence community - reminds me of Chalmers Johnson (one of my favorite people) who wrote The Sorrows of Empire and Blowback. Seems like everyone has a book out on the best sellers‘ list - Neil deGrasse Tyson - like being in a candy shop! Plus if I’m going to read a book on Physics - even one dumbed down to my level- then I have to get one non-thinking book to balance it out.

Plus Temple Grandin has a new one out - she’s an inspiration to me for Aidan.

Now to get crack-a-lackin‘ on my reading - thank goodness can watch the baseball playoffs by just listening……I once date a gal who got upset at me for taking a book to a game.

View attachment 95878View attachment 95879View attachment 95880

View attachment 95881View attachment 95882View attachment 95883
Visual Thinking is on my list.

Now that I have finished reading STAR WARS, (Spoiler: the novel finishes the same way as the movie of the same name) I will move on to Mind Getting Splinters in Your Eye, courtesy of the inter-library loan program,
1666472115304.png

Last edited:
Back