The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Firearms Thread

So, while away on vacation, I was able to put together my AR-15. I will admit, when I saw the myriad of pieces and parts on the box I was a little intimidated. The wife's sister's husband had done several of these so I had him stupid-vise me while I was sure to make a mess of things. Stripped Lower Receiver was a Palmetto State Armory the rest of the rifle was made from an 80% kit from Moriarti Armaments. This was a lot easier than I expected. I have read horror stories of people who took several weeks to put together an AR-15. And let's just face the facts...I am not the handiest guy in the world. But, with a set of punches, a roll pin holder, an AR-15 armorer's wrench, a hammer (one with a plastic side and the other with a brass side), needle nose pliers, and a set of Allen Wrenches...this was really fairly easy to put together. Okay, I will admit, the sis-in-law's husband also had an upper receiver vise block and a lower receiver vise block as well as a Tipton gun cleaning vice made things so much easier. All in all...it took me about two and a half hours to put together. Slapped on a relatively inexpensive Red Dot Reticle (until I can get my hands on something better...looking at optics from Holosun), did a quick bore site and it appears this rifle shoots straight! I haven't had a chance to do a proper zero yet...but that will be soon. This was a good experience for me and I enjoyed learning the inner workings of the rifle. This AR won't win any matches or anything, but to be honest, it likely will outperform my capabilities. If you are in to firearms...I highly suggest building an AR-15...if nothing else, just to learn how it all works.

1626800619932.png

So, while away on vacation, I was able to put together my AR-15. I will admit, when I saw the myriad of pieces and parts on the box I was a little intimidated. The wife's sister's husband had done several of these so I had him stupid-vise me while I was sure to make a mess of things. Stripped Lower Receiver was a Palmetto State Armory the rest of the rifle was made from an 80% kit from Moriarti Armaments. This was a lot easier than I expected. I have read horror stories of people who took several weeks to put together an AR-15. And let's just face the facts...I am not the handiest guy in the world. But, with a set of punches, a roll pin holder, an AR-15 armorer's wrench, a hammer (one with a plastic side and the other with a brass side), needle nose pliers, and a set of Allen Wrenches...this was really fairly easy to put together. Okay, I will admit, the sis-in-law's husband also had an upper receiver vise block and a lower receiver vise block as well as a Tipton gun cleaning vice made things so much easier. All in all...it took me about two and a half hours to put together. Slapped on a relatively inexpensive Red Dot Reticle (until I can get my hands on something better...looking at optics from Holosun), did a quick bore site and it appears this rifle shoots straight! I haven't had a chance to do a proper zero yet...but that will be soon. This was a good experience for me and I enjoyed learning the inner workings of the rifle. This AR won't win any matches or anything, but to be honest, it likely will outperform my capabilities. If you are in to firearms...I highly suggest building an AR-15...if nothing else, just to learn how it all works.

View attachment 56036
Good for you. Glad you got it together...looks nice.

Believe it or not, I just found this little thread and enjoyed reading through it and seeing all the pictures. Living in NY, we can't have most of the things that are fun. I'm not sure how I feel about putting pictures out there of weapons I own though. Nothing against those that do though.

I will say though, I've painted one of my rifles. All this craziness over cerakote paints and such is kinda funny to me. Yes, long lasting, but the right prep and the correct Krylon spray paint gets the job done and if heavy use wears it off that just gives it a great look in my opinion. I also wasn't happy about my handgun grip, or lack thereof so I decided to stipple and modify it myself. If you google stipple fails you'll see some of the truly ugly stippling jobs people have done on their handguns. I used a small tip on my wood burner and it turned out great! I like a positive grip. Your hands get sweaty (or God forbid bloody) and stock grips on some handguns like Glock's can get slippery. My brother flipped telling me I just ruined the value of it, but honestly it looks great and the local gunshop guy though it was sent out and done somewhere. My guns are tools, and they need to be modified to fit my needs.

I have been looking into tactical shotguns lately, more for on the home defense side of things. The great thing about shotguns is that you can get a really good one for a really good price. Of course, that's not what I am looking at. But two of the top shotguns I really want (and will probably break the bank so are unlikely I will get) are the Benelli M4 and the Berretta 1301

Benelli M4 -

1632394552541.png

The M4 is the one most military guys salivate over. It is the combat proven shotgun. Used by militaries world wide including the US. Its a semi-auto with a 5+1 capacity. From everything I have read, it's a heavy gun weighing in around 8.5 pounds. So what is the price of this beauty? The Benelli M4 will run you just under or possibly over $2,000.00.

Berretta 1301...

1632395355742.png

The 1301 is similar in many weighs to the M4. It was made to also be a combat gun. The 1301 is also a semi-auto, but Berretta's claim is that it's gas operated system runs a rate about 36% faster than any other semi-auto in its class. The 1301 has a 6+1 ammo capacity and weighs in at a significantly lower 6.4 pounds. And how much is this bad boy? It's a steal compared to the M4 running you around $1,200.00 and I have seen some places closer to a grand.

So...thoughts on those that have shotguns? Anyone have experience with either or both of these? Inquiring minds want to know!

Look at the Mossberg tactical line. Small and when an added foldable stock and pistol grip very easy for home maneuverability and when unfolded perfect for outside rails galore as well big shotgun does no good if if gets caught in the door jam of your defensive space LOL

Look at the Mossberg tactical line. Small and when an added foldable stock and pistol grip very easy for home maneuverability and when unfolded perfect for outside rails galore as well big shotgun does no good if if gets caught in the door jam of your defensive space LOL
Both the M4 and the 1301 have a pretty large aftermarket/accessories selection. Collapsible stocks and sights are definitely easy to replace. But yeah...there are a lot of shotguns out there that are worthy of home defense and sometimes more. And most of the time for a cheaper price.

Another "wish list" shot gun I am looking at is the Smith & Wesson M&P 12

1632409653724.png

It's a pump action 12 gauge shotgun...with...get this...two magazine tubes. Each tube can carry 7 - 2.75 inch shells or 6 - 3 inch shells, or 10 mini shells. So that is 14, 12, or 20 rounds respectively. Or you can load each tube with different shots...slugs in one and buckshot in the other. Not sure why you would want to do that...but I am sure there is a reason.

Like the other two I mentioned above...it's definitely on pricier side of things MSRP runs you just under $1,200.00

I always thought shotguns were nice if you are on a team where you have someone on your back if that guy hiding in the corner grabs your muzzle.
Didnt like them for solo clearing because you don't have that guy at your back. Retention of a handgun is easier because there is less leverage to be used against you.

Back