The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Firearms Thread

Another "wish list" shot gun I am looking at is the Smith & Wesson M&P 12

View attachment 61697

It's a pump action 12 gauge shotgun...with...get this...two magazine tubes. Each tube can carry 7 - 2.75 inch shells or 6 - 3 inch shells, or 10 mini shells. So that is 14, 12, or 20 rounds respectively. Or you can load each tube with different shots...slugs in one and buckshot in the other. Not sure why you would want to do that...but I am sure there is a reason.

Like the other two I mentioned above...it's definitely on pricier side of things MSRP runs you just under $1,200.00
Dude, get this one! It looks like something out of Aliens!

Another "wish list" shot gun I am looking at is the Smith & Wesson M&P 12

View attachment 61697

It's a pump action 12 gauge shotgun...with...get this...two magazine tubes. Each tube can carry 7 - 2.75 inch shells or 6 - 3 inch shells, or 10 mini shells. So that is 14, 12, or 20 rounds respectively. Or you can load each tube with different shots...slugs in one and buckshot in the other. Not sure why you would want to do that...but I am sure there is a reason.

Like the other two I mentioned above...it's definitely on pricier side of things MSRP runs you just under $1,200.00
That is beautiful! We are experiencing severe droughts so I'm not on as many boats 😏

Not sure why you would want to do that...but I am sure there is a reason.
Slugs for breaching doors. Take out the hinges or dead bolt and shot once inside.

(Stoopid quote didn't work.....)

Look at the Mossberg tactical line. Small and when an added foldable stock and pistol grip very easy for home maneuverability and when unfolded perfect for outside rails galore as well big shotgun does no good if if gets caught in the door jam of your defensive space LOL
Yeah the Mossberg 890 series and the Remington 870 is really high on my list and so much more inexpensive. Around $500 for either depending on model.

I always thought shotguns were nice if you are on a team where you have someone on your back if that guy hiding in the corner grabs your muzzle.
Didnt like them for solo clearing because you don't have that guy at your back. Retention of a handgun is easier because there is less leverage to be used against you.
Stop being a voice of reason Shawn! 🤪

Slugs for breaching doors. Take out the hinges or dead bolt and shot once inside.

(Stoopid quote didn't work.....)
The funny thing is that as soon as I hit post...I thought the same thing. Man I am way off my game. I need some serious practice.

Stop being a voice of reason Shawn! 🤪
Smith and Wesson Governor. Takes .45 LC and .410 shotgun shells. It WAS a blast to shoot, and easy enough for my wife to handle as well while I am out of town and gives her comfort being home alone with the kids. A shame it was lost in that darn boating accident.

Smith and Wesson Governor. Takes .45 LC and .410 shotgun shells. It WAS a blast to shoot, and easy enough for my wife to handle as well while I am out of town and gives her comfort being home alone with the kids. A shame it was lost in that darn boating accident.
The Governor like the Judge are really cool pistols. But in my opinion...the .45 LC (or ACP with the adapter) are really the only thing that should be shot out of it. the .410 shell out of a pistol is just not very lethal. Bird shot? No way in hell. I might consider .410 buckshot, but man try finding that round right now. Slugs could be an option, but you will need to be pretty close with the short barrel of the pistol. the .410 shell in any load is really made to be shot out of something with a longer barrel for any amount of accuracy or tightness of group. If you have nothing else...then yeah...shoot away. I just think .410 out of a pistol isn't something I am willing to risk my life on.

Sorry Chad.

Smith and Wesson Governor. Takes .45 LC and .410 shotgun shells. It WAS a blast to shoot, and easy enough for my wife to handle as well while I am out of town and gives her comfort being home alone with the kids. A shame it was lost in that darn boating acc
Be very very thorough cleaning after shooting shot out of those. A guy I knew had one and said he couldn't hit anything with it and wanted me to look at it. He thought the sights were off.
I looked at it and he was basically shooting through a smooth bore. The shot lodges in the rifling and fouls them up bad.

The Governor like the Judge are really cool pistols. But in my opinion...the .45 LC (or ACP with the adapter) are really the only thing that should be shot out of it. the .410 shell out of a pistol is just not very lethal. Bird shot? No way in hell. I might consider .410 buckshot, but man try finding that round right now. Slugs could be an option, but you will need to be pretty close with the short barrel of the pistol. the .410 shell in any load is really made to be shot out of something with a longer barrel for any amount of accuracy or tightness of group. If you have nothing else...then yeah...shoot away. I just think .410 out of a pistol isn't something I am willing to risk my life on.

Sorry Chad.

Be very very thorough cleaning after shooting shot out of those. A guy I knew had one and said he couldn't hit anything with it and wanted me to look at it. He thought the sights were off.
I looked at it and he was basically shooting through a smooth bore. The shot lodges in the rifling and fouls them up bad.

I actually haven't shot .410 out of it. But I do have some specially designed .410 shells for home defense. So when at the range I've only shot .45lc and I've been pretty darn accurate with it. Those specially designed shells are just for home defense and it's primarily for my wife because she can just point and shoot.

I both agree and disagree when teaching CC we tell our students that the stress of the situation make handguns useless unless you are trained to breath Handguns in the house are good but be prepared to pull the trigger many times as you WILL miss alot, and even more in the dark if you do not have laser sights where as a short shotgun give a good pattern spread and also the racking of a twelve guage is usually followed by a breaking of glass, and running feet. Having been involved, aside from military, in a live shoot in a robbery and assault attempt. The dynamic changes dramatically, my motto is
Use the knife to get to the bat
The bat to get to the pistol
The pistol to get the the shotgun
The shotgun to get to the bazzooka
And the Bazooka to get to the tank

mine is a mossberg 500 however it looks similar to this remington, but i have a rail with a laser mounted

C96222A6-CD5F-4229-9523-5D964A39DA87.jpeg

I both agree and disagree when teaching CC we tell our students that the stress of the situation make handguns useless unless you are trained to breath Handguns in the house are good but be prepared to pull the trigger many times as you WILL miss alot, and even more in the dark if you do not have laser sights where as a short shotgun give a good pattern spread and also the racking of a twelve guage is usually followed by a breaking of glass, and running feet. Having been involved, aside from military, in a live shoot in a robbery and assault attempt. The dynamic changes dramatically,
I don't dispute anything you said. Especially the part about racking a round in. That is a very distinctive sound.

I believe the bottom line is that it is going to fall back to your mindset and training.

First and most importantly, if you don't have the proper mindset to pull the trigger, leave whatever firearm you have locked up and grab a phone on your way out of the window.

As far as the different firearms...
Pros for handguns: They are easier to retain/harder to get ahold of. They allow better mobility in confined areas. They are easier to get into position and employ if you are taken down.
Cons: They have a smaller hit area and need enough training/familiarity that they can be point shot with a good degree of accuracy. Not good at creating distance if taken by surprise. Need to maintain a certain grip to point shoot accurately and to let the firearm cycle properly.

Pros for shotguns: That slide sound of a pump. Can be used to create distance if taken by surprise. Greater stopping power.
Cons: Harder to maneuver in tight quarters. If taken down, it can't be employed as a firearm. Can be grabbed easier and provides more leverage against retention. Requires more accuracy than most people think at room distances.
Even with a defensive 12 guage with cylinder bore and 00 buck, a typical spread in 12 feet (average room size) is less than 5 inches.

My personal experience leans more towards combat pistol shooting and close range HTH. In most defensive pistol matches, I never look at my sights. After 80,000+ rounds in all kinds of positions, I have the muscle memory to know where the muzzle is pointing and where the projectile is going.
That said, not everyone is the same. So just because it works for me, doesn't mean it will be best for everyone. I can only reliably give you what I know and let you make your own decisions from there.

So here is my main motto. TRAIN.... No matter what you are most comfortable with and decide upon.
Handguns, learn to point shoot. Make yourself familiar enough that you know it is pointing where you are. Learn when and how to retain it. Shotguns, again, learn to point shoot them and how to retain them. Then train some more so you don't loose that muscle memory because if the :poop: hits the fan, your brain isn't going to handle things for you.
And be open minded about your training. You will never know it all so don't be opposed to listening to people that have different experiences. (y)

Even with a defensive 12 guage with cylinder bore and 00 buck, a typical spread in 12 feet (average room size) is less than 5 inches.

My personal experience leans more towards combat pistol shooting and close range HTH. In most defensive pistol matches, I never look at my sights. After 80,000+ rounds in all kinds of positions, I have the muscle memory to know where the muzzle is pointing and where the projectile is going.
That said, not everyone is the same. So just because it works for me, doesn't mean it will be best for everyone. I can only reliably give you what I know and let you make your own decisions from there.

My experience most live shoots occur within a much closer range, however, 5 inches is still much better than 1 inch to 3 inches at best center mass. As to your 2nd point I do combat shoots as well as being a CC instructor, and to most however they do not practice, place the gun under the bed or worse in a safe so I agree PRACTICE, PRECTICE PRACTICE.

Okay, while perusing my emails, I came across this beauty! The Heritage Rough Rider .22 LR with 16 inch barrel. Yeah, it's a .22, but man this is awesome! Make this in a .357 Mag or .44 Mag or .45 LC and I'm taking it Hunting!

1632497543202.png

I leave a couple of days and this thread explodes with comments :LOL:

I'm not a fan of having something like a shotgun in a house for many of the reasons Shawn stated. If you must use this firearm, learn how to use it. A barrel strike to the head or chest can be effective when needed. Also, if someone grabs the barrel of your long gun, pull down on the weapon and the perp will almost always pull up, then you drop down to a knee quickly and you'll be able to be right back in a position to dispatch the one who has a hold of your barrel. Most of this works well with an AR short barrel platform, but barrel lengths are heavily regulated. An AR barrel strike to the forehead will knock a man out / knock the wind out of someone with a chest strike.

The old wisdom holds true, the old timers were more afraid of the man who has owned and shot the same gun his whole life over the one with a more powerful gun. I tend to believe this. Shoot what you have, and shoot well with it.

Ammo shortage, many weapons can be dry fired with either snap caps or without. I was skeptical about this training method until I worked with it. My thoughts were that it doesn't teach you reacquisition of the target after recoil & dealing with the noise, etc.....What I found was that the dry fire allowed me to ignore all that. I bought a dry fire card deck that allows you to run through several exercises to test your abilities under stress. You shuffle the cards and select one at random and do it. For instance I learned through the deck of cards that if stepping over something or someone my shot is best fired on the step down and not the step up. It also honed my support hand shooting (never call it weak side). I got to the point where I could shoot as well left handed as I could right handed. I had a dedicated space to practice shooting at X's placed on the walls. I've never been a fan of doing dry fire in your own home. That's how stupid things happen.

I leave a couple of days and this thread explodes with comments :LOL:

I'm not a fan of having something like a shotgun in a house for many of the reasons Shawn stated. If you must use this firearm, learn how to use it. A barrel strike to the head or chest can be effective when needed. Also, if someone grabs the barrel of your long gun, pull down on the weapon and the perp will almost always pull up, then you drop down to a knee quickly and you'll be able to be right back in a position to dispatch the one who has a hold of your barrel. Most of this works well with an AR short barrel platform, but barrel lengths are heavily regulated. An AR barrel strike to the forehead will knock a man out / knock the wind out of someone with a chest strike.

The old wisdom holds true, the old timers were more afraid of the man who has owned and shot the same gun his whole life over the one with a more powerful gun. I tend to believe this. Shoot what you have, and shoot well with it.

Ammo shortage, many weapons can be dry fired with either snap caps or without. I was skeptical about this training method until I worked with it. My thoughts were that it doesn't teach you reacquisition of the target after recoil & dealing with the noise, etc.....What I found was that the dry fire allowed me to ignore all that. I bought a dry fire card deck that allows you to run through several exercises to test your abilities under stress. You shuffle the cards and select one at random and do it. For instance I learned through the deck of cards that if stepping over something or someone my shot is best fired on the step down and not the step up. It also honed my support hand shooting (never call it weak side). I got to the point where I could shoot as well left handed as I could right handed. I had a dedicated space to practice shooting at X's placed on the walls. I've never been a fan of doing dry fire in your own home. That's how stupid things happen.
Good stuff here!

Honestly, safe and efficient weapon handling comes down to training. Not just that you do it...but that manner that you do it in. I can honestly say that I don't do enough if it. And yeah, in this day and age with ammo shortages and the price of them when you do find what you are looking for, really prohibit you from doing any kind of training. I am trying to rectify that right now. I am looking at some classes that have good qualified instructors. I plan on starting with the entry level classes again. I am certain I likely know most of it (I worked as a marksmanship instructor in the Marine Corps for about a year and a half on a rifle/pistol range), and I have had various classes here and there...but it's always good to go back over the basics every now and then. Also, I am likely to start getting involved with a marksmanship program. Nothing super competitive, just more for personal edification. Also, the my Marine Corps League Chapter that I started going to is "possibly" starting up a rifle team for match shooting. If we do, then I likely will join that too.

On a side note, as some of you all know, back in 2016 my family went through a flood. Some of our rifles/pistols were in it. My brother grabbed my guns for me and gave them a good cleaning as they sat in water for a couple of days. Some of these are heirlooms. There were a couple if rifles that were the wife's grandpa's and a pistol that her dad gave me as well as my 10/22. Anyway because they had rust on them, when by brother cleaned them, some of the bluing came off.

Well, it's about time I start getting these wonderful firearms in back to the condition they deserve. I know there are at home bluing kits and products, but I have seen a lot of people do a lot of really bad stuff to some really fine weapons. This is not my desired result.

I am looking for recommendations of what I can do. In the end I will likely take them to a local gun smith and probably pay a fortune to have them re-blue the guns. But I was just wondering if there is anything else out there that I am unaware of that maybe the Cadre knows about. Thanks in advance!

Back