The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Firearms Thread

So...who has a Ruger 10/22 in one or some of it's various versions. I have the plain old carbine version, and I have to say...it is one of my favorites. Just fun to shoot. They are highly customizable also. So...who has one and have you done anything to it?
I have the 10/22 carbine version bought new in the mid 80's, its all original, no mods. It is still at my dads in New York state because like Shawn said, we can't hunt with semiauto in PA.

My current 22 is similar to Shawn's, it is a Savage with a Grey and Black laminated thumbhole stock and has had the trigger polished and lightened. My CC pistol is a Glock 27. I have a vintage Remington Wingmaster 20ga with 2 different barrels, and a Beretta 686 Silver Pidgeon Sporting 12ga for a Trap gun.

I have a couple of Ruger 10\22's

When I turned 18 I bought a stainless ruger 10\22.

Then about a year later a guy I worked with sold me his blued ruger 10\22 for $50 if I remember correctly.

Both are stock. Took the blued one out last month and ran about 125rds through it plinking at some cans in the rock pit.

So...who has a Ruger 10/22 in one or some of it's various versions. I have the plain old carbine version, and I have to say...it is one of my favorites. Just fun to shoot. They are highly customizable also. So...who has one and have you done anything to it?
I don't own a lot in the way of guns but I DO own a Ruger 10/22 with a synthetic stock. I have done a few simple mods (like an extended magazine release, upgraded bolt, scope mounts and a muzzle flash suppressor) but nothing wild. I haven't shot it much but its EASY to shoot and care for.
I also have duel caliber Beeman Kodiak air rifle (0.177 and 0.22) that I have set up to shoot .22. I have put a lot of lead (pellets) down range with that one. It was a go-to for Boy Scout outings, the boys would spend hours competing for accuracy. It is much more difficult to shoot, both physically and consistent accuracy, but I have been able to keep the invading Pigeon army at bay and even took down a massive rat that inadvertently ended up on my roof. (I was on the phone with @CVargo and @BarberDave when that event occurred)

I also have a CZ Canvasback 12g (over under) for shooting various clay sports. The gun wasn't terribly expensive but it is a beast. I routinely put 250-300 rounds through it in one day and it keeps going. The only modification I did to it was having the stock cut to fit and installing a better butt pad. I polished the wood with scratch X and it went from a muddy brown color to a deep/rich wood that gets regularly makes people ask me what kind of gun it is. I would love to step up to a Browning with all the fun upgrades but I just don't have a reason to abandon the old Canvasback.

I didn't grow up with guns. Which is funny because when my grandmother passed away, we went through her house cleaning up and she had a loaded gun in every room. I never saw one when she was alive, and she lived next door.

But, I made up for lost time while working at a gun shop. It was a class 3 dealer, so I got to use a lot of the iconic guns like the fully auto Thompson and the "sawed off" double barrel coach gun. I also got to test the triggers on all the guns we had. My favorite trigger was on a Styer, so ended up getting a 9mm by them. I also got a 7mm-08 breech loader and a 12ga. The last 2 were used guns that were traded in, so I got them at cost. I also have a Browning FN 1922 that we got from my grandmother's house. She had it hidden in the shed in a plastic bag. It was rusted solid when we found it, so I took it apart and restored it and now it works great.

Some day, I would like to get a 1911 or lever action .44, but I don't need any more at this moment.
Your Grandma sounds like my kinda woman!

I used to have one that I had set up like my Savage. Stainless fluted bull barrel, thumb hole laminated stock... was a great shooter, but in PA you can't use semiautomatic to hunt with. So no squirrel shooting. The savage is a bolt action.
I've shot plenty 10/22's, but my first gun was it's ugly redheaded step-sister, the Marlin model 60. I used it for squirrels. No idea if it's illegal in Michigan. Don't tell me if it is, because ignorance of the law is going to be my excuse, ha!

I'm mostly into handguns now, I SOMETIMES carry my GP100 4" in the winter, but usually I carry my Ruger snub nose .357 with .38's.... It's just so stinkin' lightweight! It's an LCR, and I also have it in .22, which I mostly shoot on my HillBilly gun range.

County living is the best. And yes, @Spider you do need to get some guns. Your lovely lady obviously enjoys shooting as much as mine does!

Lol, remember: the couple that SHOOTS together, stays together. (Because they fear each other.)

What gave you that impression? She doesn’t shoot. Doesn’t have a problem with guns, but won’t shoot them.
Well, my bad.

If she doesn't shoot yet, try to dissuade her. Not exactly a cheap hobby.

But a good skill to have in your bag of tricks.

I've shot plenty 10/22's, but my first gun was it's ugly redheaded step-sister, the Marlin model 60. I used it for squirrels. No idea if it's illegal in Michigan. Don't tell me if it is, because ignorance of the law is going to be my excuse, ha!

I'm mostly into handguns now, I SOMETIMES carry my GP100 4" in the winter, but usually I carry my Ruger snub nose .357 with .38's.... It's just so stinkin' lightweight! It's an LCR, and I also have it in .22, which I mostly shoot on my HillBilly gun range.

County living is the best. And yes, @Spider you do need to get some guns. Your lovely lady obviously enjoys shooting as much as mine does!

Lol, remember: the couple that SHOOTS together, stays together. (Because they fear each other.)
I want a 10/22... I like all the mods that can be done on them.....

I want a 10/22... I like all the mods that can be done on them.....
As a rifle bought at regular retail they are very affordable. But if you look around and are patient, you can usually find one locally for a really good price from someone who is looking to unload for some quick cash.

As a rifle bought at regular retail they are very affordable. But if you look around and are patient, you can usually find one locally for a really good price from someone who is looking to unload for some quick cash.
Lately it seems everyone is sold out. I'm just waiting until I can find one in stock or as you said someone has one for sale.. I'm hopeful that one will turn up soon though..

This. Those things are ubiquitous.

(Probably made ole Dangerbaby have to explain that big werd to her Daddy I'll bet!)

And I'll bet the rest of you are thinking "I never knew that tanned Farmer could even form such thoughts!"

At least Don knows I'm smart enough to come in outta the rain!

This. Those things are ubiquitous.

(Probably made ole Dangerbaby have to explain that big werd to her Daddy I'll bet!)

And I'll bet the rest of you are thinking "I never knew that tanned Farmer could even form such thoughts!"

At least Don knows I'm smart enough to come in outta the rain!
Yeah, the mods I've seen for Marlin's involve cardboard and chicken wire.

ubiquitous.
Isn't that some CoQ10 supplement or something? 🤪

Seriously though...on the being patient and something will come along front...by brother is a master at this. Somehow, my brother ends up in the right place at the right time and a coworker of his will "need" to sell a gun for various reasons (let your imagination run) and he ends up getting something for dirt cheap. My brother has more guns than most people (all lost in a boating accident, of course) and I think he only purchased one of them from a gun store. Let's just say that he has saved himself a lot of money.

Yesterday I got my my 80% AR build in the mail. I can't wait to put it together!

So my brother recently picked up a new pistol that I had the pleasure of firing a few rounds down range. It's a Canik TP9SFX.

1624531142241.png1624531209558.png
This is a full frame 9mm that evidently some are picking up for competition shooting (I'm sure with some modifications). Anyway, to my novice shooting hands, it seems is if the pistol is pretty darn accurate. A super easy trigger pull. It fit very well in my hands. It's a little on the slim side, a lot like a few Sig Sauer pistols I have shot, but this is not a negative, just an observation. And came with two 20 round magazines. It's a Turkish made gun if that means anything to anyone. The slide is pretty darn smooth also. This is just a natural shooter to me.

When purchasing this pistol you get a lot of bang for your buck. It comes with a lot of stuff.

1624531765325.png
Includes

• NEW Patented Slidelock Retention Holster
  • NEW Barrel and slide have an ultra-durable Tungsten-Grey Cerakote®-over-Nitride on the colored models
  • Short reset Single-Action trigger design with nickel-coated action components
  • Optics-ready slide with four adapter plates that accept the markets most popular reflex sights, plus an ambidextrous charging handle
  • Warren Tactical sights with red and green fiber optic front sight
  • Weight-reducing front and rear slide serrations for positive-traction handling
  • Accessory under-barrel rail
  • Extended slide release for easier engagement during competition
  • Loaded chamber indicator
  • Side reversible magazine catch with additional sizes of release buttons and alternate backstraps for a custom fit
  • Two magazines, magazine loader, and cleaning kit
  • Available with 20-round or 10-round magazines and a Vortex reflex sight
Anyway, this is something that I might look at if I decide to get into competition pistol shooting as it is an easy price entry. MSRP for this guy is around $550. Of course, with what the world is today...you likely won't find it for that, if you find it at all.

Attachments

• 1624531164909.png
    1624531164909.png
    125.1 KB · Views: 1
Talking with my Brother in Law from PA the other day, we were comparing ammo availability and prices. It seems that in Pennsylvania, pretty much everything is twice as much and not very available. We came to the conclusion that some states must have certain regulations or policies in place to cause this. Look, I am not saying that in Louisiana her we have free rein to all kinds of ammo. There are certain types that are still hard to find. But, for most of the common types of ammo, they places I shop at raised the limit from two to four boxes per visit. Also, I don't have to wait in line in the wee hours of the morning so that I might hope to buy a box of 9mm. The prices here seem to be better (not great) than other places also. A box of 50 rds of 9mm go for about $25 or a box of 100 rds of 9mm go for about $40-$50. Still expensive compared to what it was back in the day...but better than it has been. 38 and 357 are still hard to find. And Hunting ammo is REALLY hard to find. On the occasion that I do find it...it's 30-30. Which is great, the wife's Winchester 1894 will shoot the stuff, but my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington is even harder to find (okay...you can't find it...locally anyway).

Just curious on some thoughts about ammo in your area?

Back