The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Firearms Thread

Is an NRA membership worth it? The wife wants to buy me a membership to a local gun range but they require an NRA membership.
This is somewhat of a tough answer. I am a life member and in the past they were a very powerful pro-gun, and pro 2nd ammendement lobby and advocate, and to a certain extent they still are and fight for gun right, and TRUE firearm education, and do help out in legal areas as well. The educational programs alone are worth the membership in my opinion, and you are helping keep it alive with your membership JMHO.

This song is like it was written about me to some extent except a gun's recoil never bothered me. My Grandpa gave me his old double barrel 12 Springfield that he modified the barrel and stock to fit his draw. I wished I'd taken the time to ask him about all the stories he had with that gun. He was from the era where you ran form the Game Warden and he hunted the Adirondacks every year. Boy he had some stories to tell.

The way I see it @The Monkey, an NRA membership is "worth it" if you can get something from it. Like you, my local gun range requires an NRA membership to join so I got my membership (it wasn't very expensive so I got a 2 year membership). This particular gun range also required a sponsor AND a bunch of hours to be donated to the range (in theory the members donated hours would replace the need to pay someone to maintain etc). After visiting the range as a guest and taking my Boy Scouts there for some clay pigeon hunting, I was kind of terrified to return. The range was poorly designed and offered very little that I couldn't get by going to the designated BLM land. So my NRA membership was unnecessary and ultimately a waste for me because we have/had NO local NRA programs, training or education to take advantage of. If you will be able to make regular use of the local gun club, the NRA membership is just part of the total cost to join and "worth it". If you have access to NRA programs and/or make use of their online materials and/or access their other 'perks' then the NRA membership itself is a value add rather than just another expense. A lot like a AAA auto club membership, if you remember to take advantage of the discounts they offer and use the local office to do all your DMV stuff the membership is well worth it even if you never need a tow.

I'm a lifetime member. And there are a few discounts etc that are nice. But I do prefer my USCCA membership because it comes with concealed carry insurance.

I knew a guy in NY that when you walk into his big beautiful house there was a huge plush throw rug with the NRA logo on it. This guy had so many handguns that they issued him 3 permits to write them on. Now this guy must be a lifetime member :LOL:

Wife got me the Mantis X Dry/Live fire system for my birthday. I knew I loved this woman for a reason!
Officially jealous! That's awesome. Now get yourself a deck of dry fire cards to give you different ways to dry fire and you are all set. I use this one:

1639957613814.png

Dry fire fit cards are great too. They teach you to fire at the point where you are fatigued. I used to mix the decks together and it really makes dry fire fun. After doing the dry fire system my buddy said "Who are you?!" the next time we went out shooting handguns. It really makes you sharp with your support hand. Some cards I skipped or removed from the deck because they just didn't seem useful. I learned a lot about myself and shooting and didn't even fire a single round. With the price of ammo these days and the scarcity, this really is a great tool in the tool box. Someone I know said that it wouldn't teach you re-acquisition of the target after recoil, which is true, but it cured any anticipation of recoil that I might have had left.

1639957752280.png

Officially jealous! That's awesome. Now get yourself a deck of dry fire cards to give you different ways to dry fire and you are all set. I use this one:

View attachment 70637

Dry fire fit cards are great too. They teach you to fire at the point where you are fatigued. I used to mix the decks together and it really makes dry fire fun. After doing the dry fire system my buddy said "Who are you?!" the next time we went out shooting handguns. It really makes you sharp with your support hand. Some cards I skipped or removed from the deck because they just didn't seem useful. I learned a lot about myself and shooting and didn't even fire a single round. With the price of ammo these days and the scarcity, this really is a great tool in the tool box. Someone I know said that it wouldn't teach you re-acquisition of the target after recoil, which is true, but it cured any anticipation of recoil that I might have had left.

View attachment 70638
I'll have to find a set.

@dangerousdon And @The Monkey and @Blade-meister And Anyone else who might be interested.....

If you guys can find a Gamo PT85 to purchase get it..
They look like this...
images.jpg
images (1).jpg
gamo-pt-85-blowback-co2-air-pistol-500x500.jpg
It is a pellet gun with blowback that a lot of the CWP people have been using for practice since ammo and such were either so expensive or in short supply.
With the pt85 you can have realistic target practice to keep proficient without the cost of "real ammo".. A 500 count pack of pellets is 7 bucks and a 40 count pack of CO2 is about 18 dollars so for that price you can get a lot of practice in.... I just looked and Amazon had a pack of 750 pellets for 10 bucks... The pt85 is fun to "Play" with , I have one and although it is quieter it is pretty realistic with the blowback .... Also shooting it is as simple as going into your own back yard and setting up some targets because it can be used at home without having to go to a range....

I just wanted to put that out there because I know I like to try to keep up my proficiency and it might be a good way for some of you others too !!

Well whatever you do, Happy Shooting everyone !!

@dangerousdon And @The Monkey and @Blade-meister And Anyone else who might be interested.....

If you guys can find a Gamo PT85 to purchase get it..
They look like this...
View attachment 70644
View attachment 70643
View attachment 70642
It is a pellet gun with blowback that a lot of the CWP people have been using for practice since ammo and such were either so expensive or in short supply.
With the pt85 you can have realistic target practice to keep proficient without the cost of "real ammo".. A 500 count pack of pellets is 7 bucks and a 40 count pack of CO2 is about 18 dollars so for that price you can get a lot of practice in.... I just looked and Amazon had a pack of 750 pellets for 10 bucks... The pt85 is fun to "Play" with , I have one and although it is quieter it is pretty realistic with the blowback .... Also shooting it is as simple as going into your own back yard and setting up some targets because it can be used at home without having to go to a range....

I just wanted to put that out there because I know I like to try to keep up my proficiency and it might be a good way for some of you others too !!

Well whatever you do, Happy Shooting everyone !!
Cool. Will have to look it up.

Pyramyd Air does a Glock 19 version of an air pistol also.

Everything about it is supposed to look and feel like a Glock 19. I thought about going this route at one point. There are definitely advantages to doing the air gun over dry fire, namely, instant feedback on where the round lands.

View attachment 70637

View attachment 70638
So the Mantis X has a ton of drills loaded in the app, and it seems they add and update every so often. Supposedly, there are dry fire drills for every level and a lot of different scenarios. But I can see that these cards seems to have some really serious scenarios...which I am interested in.

I know dry fire isn't the end all to be all...and if not done properly you can pick up a bad habit or two. Nothing will replace real shooting experience, especially combat, but dryfiring really can make you that much of a better shooter.

I used to work on a rifle/pistol range in the Marine Corps. We would cycle entire units through on a weekly basis. Marines are considered some of the better shooters out there as a whole (I have seen a lot of Marines that are horrible shooters though). There is a reason that Marines spend almost an entire week doing what we call "snapping in." It's a week of getting into various shooting positions and dry firing. Practicing getting that sight alignment and sight picture and then requiring them. Dry firing, to varying degrees, will almost always make you a better shooter.

Back