The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Firearms Thread

436611985.jpg

Something like this should be the general rule everywhere on the forum, if you don't like a post or thread don't read it, and don't respond to it. An individual shouldn't be able to control what others say or do just because they don't like it.

"I want to make it clear as I believe that most of you already realize this, but all TSC Rules and Guidelines apply. In this day and age, firearms can be a heated discussion for various reasons...so please...ladies and germs...please, for the sake of this thread and civil discourse...keep this thread cordial and polite. If you are vehemently opposed to firearms...maybe you should just stay clear of this discussion."

I once had a "gun room" where most of my stuff was kept, I also loaded everything I shot, and cast the bullets for them in a shed on the casting bench.
An injury and some other problems caused me to sell off everything and I even lost my house. I miss all of it, including the range time with friends.
This looks like a fun thread, don't let the anti folks take it down.

My next hunting rifle I want to get is an AR-10 in a 6.5 Creedmore caliber. I know a lot of hunting purists will say this isn't what you should hunt with...but I disagree. It is much more lightweight than most traditional rifles and I am VERY familiar with the AR system. IN addition to hunting...I can also use it for distance shooting at the range. Oh yeah...daddy needs a new pair of shoes!

View attachment 52322View attachment 52323
I like any .264 caliber cartridge, just match the bullet construction to the intended game.

And sorry to be picky, but that's Creedmoor. ;)

Last time I went to the range (a few weeks ago...sadly) I was shooting these super tight groups that even Wild Bill would have been even proud of. The only issue? The groups were consistently low and left and just outside of the center rings (I was shooting on standard FBI Q targets). The north and south position was easy enough for me to correct...but that little to the left was really bothering me. Tried to correct that and was really bewildered with what was going on. Finally I determined, and was pretty sure this was the issue, that I need to adjust my rear sight. So I carry (and was shooting) my Gen 3 Glock 23 in 40 S&W. This is a work horse of a handgun. Compact enough to conceal, but full framed enough for big hands to properly get a good grip and handle on this weapon. It is sturdy and durable and I will NEVER get rid of this handgun. I love it. But since I use it all the time, I can see why I would need to get the rear sight adjusted. By the way...these are still the factory sights. Anyway, it got me thinking about getting new sights. So...I thought maybe some of you experienced shooters might have a recommendation. Looking for something that won't break the bank but is super reliable. Any thoughts?

Last time I went to the range (a few weeks ago...sadly) I was shooting these super tight groups that even Wild Bill would have been even proud of. The only issue? The groups were consistently low and left and just outside of the center rings (I was shooting on standard FBI Q targets). The north and south position was easy enough for me to correct...but that little to the left was really bothering me. Tried to correct that and was really bewildered with what was going on. Finally I determined, and was pretty sure this was the issue, that I need to adjust my rear sight. So I carry (and was shooting) my Gen 3 Glock 23 in 40 S&W. This is a work horse of a handgun. Compact enough to conceal, but full framed enough for big hands to properly get a good grip and handle on this weapon. It is sturdy and durable and I will NEVER get rid of this handgun. I love it. But since I use it all the time, I can see why I would need to get the rear sight adjusted. By the way...these are still the factory sights. Anyway, it got me thinking about getting new sights. So...I thought maybe some of you experienced shooters might have a recommendation. Looking for something that won't break the bank but is super reliable. Any thoughts?
Oh boy...this is the million dollar question...simply because you can and WILL spend a million bucks trying to find the sites you like. Luckily you have a Glock so that isn't expensive. Site pusher for a Glock is cheap so you can pretty much take out a set and replace it every week. The question is what is the end state you want to achieve? I'm not being cute you...have range guns, comp guns, CC guns...break glass in case of :poop: guns. I have Meprolight Tru-Dot Night Sites and Truglo Brite-Site TFX. They are traditional "three-dot" sites but lately I have been toying with the single lum site up front and a blacked out rear site. Drop the dot on target and and let it fly. None of my sites are adjustable.

I like this thread.
I've had a little experience with firearms. Shot high power for a couple years, NRA rifle pistol and shotgun instructor, NRA trap coach, NRA range safety officer, defensive pistol instructor, and organized and ran defensive pistol matches for a few years.

I'm sadly down to 3 firearms currently. A savage bull barrel .22, H&K USP .40, and H&K VP9.
I'll have to get a couple pics when I get home and get some time.

And Don, what are sights? Are those the little bumps on the slide that slow down my draw?

Oh boy...this is the million dollar question...simply because you can and WILL spend a million bucks trying to find the sites you like. Luckily you have a Glock so that isn't expensive. Site pusher for a Glock is cheap so you can pretty much take out a set and replace it every week. The question is what is the end state you want to achieve? I'm not being cute you...have range guns, comp guns, CC guns...break glass in case of :poop: guns. I have Meprolight Tru-Dot Night Sites and Truglo Brite-Site TFX. They are traditional "three-dot" sites but lately I have been toying with the single lum site up front and a blacked out rear site. Drop the dot on target and and let it fly. None of my sites are adjustable.
Yeah, I always forget to specify my intention of use. And I do understand that sights can be VERY subjective. You have given me a couple things to consider though. As for the end state...My Glock 23 is what I call my utility gun. I carry it concealed, it's on my nightstand, I take it to the range for practice, I use it as a hammer...okay...well not that last one. But you get the idea. Basically I am looking for something functional, durable, and proven. Not fancy or delicate. Someone told me to buy a red dot for it and I laughed at them. I like red dot sights, don't get me wrong. But I am not adding that much height to my everyday carry, and the likely hood of me knocking it around are very high. I don't do competitions and I likely won't be in the future. If I do...it is likely to be with one of the 1911s or similar that you mentioned. Or more likely to be a Glock 34.

Anyway, I have been looking at the Truglo sights lately. A lot of variety, favorable reviews, and definitely don't break the bank.

I like this thread.
I've had a little experience with firearms. Shot high power for a couple years, NRA rifle pistol and shotgun instructor, NRA trap coach, NRA range safety officer, defensive pistol instructor, and organized and ran defensive pistol matches for a few years.

I'm sadly down to 3 firearms currently. A savage bull barrel .22, H&K USP .40, and H&K VP9.
I'll have to get a couple pics when I get home and get some time.

And Don, what are sights? Are those the little bumps on the slide that slow down my draw?
Shawn being modest I see!

Love those H&Ks! That USP .40 was a dream pistol of mine fore quite a while!

It's too bad that .357 ammo is really difficult to find right now. You can always shoot .38 Special out of it also (if it is a revolver)... but .38 Special is pretty hard to find also.
We found the .38 ammo fairly easy last time I bought any . we have a few weapons including a .357 which I bought the .38 ammo for because here the .357 was harder to find.

Yeah I think its pretty common for guns to get lost in a boating accident.. I think that's what happened to ours too !! The only things not lost were the pellet guns with blowback to simulate actual pistols and rifles.. They work pretty good for keeping skills honed... During the Big ammo shortage a few years ago some of the local CWP classes had to use the pellet guns for qualifying purposes due to lack of available ammo..

Shawn being modest I see!

Love those H&Ks! That USP .40 was a dream pistol of mine fore quite a while!
That bit about the sights actually came from someone I shot with for years. One of our other friends had gotten a set of truglo night sights installed and we were looking at them. Gary looked at me and said "those are called sights. You know those little bumps you never look at and just drag in your holster slowing you down a little."
So that wasn't me.....

I like the idea of the truglo night sights, but no experience with them to know how the fiber optic rods would hold up with every day carry.
To me the grip angle of my handgun is more important that what type of sight I have because I do point shoot for most anything within defensive distance.

I've always trained that way because God forbid i ever need it for defense, the sights are most likely never going to get used. I want to know it is going where I point.

Back