The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The bottom of a tub

I’ve never finished a tub either. I actually bought more of two soaps just to combine them with some I had to see what an empty tub looks like.

It’s one thing to stick with a great soap for a couple years. It’s another entirely to spend a few months with a subpar soap, which is harder, IMHO. Congrats for getting through it, Sam.

Like a blue moon twice in a month (can that happen?) i’ve Come to the bottom of another once full tub. I had intended on finishing a 1 ounce sample of Stirling soap but got distracted by Tabula Rosa Steampunk. To be honest this stuff is the soft kind you dab your brush on rather than swirl upon, so I thought I might burn through this much faster. As it turned out I think I spent most of the last 5 plus weeks working on this tub with few other soaps (creams) distracting me from my task. The scent is quite intriguing to me but the soap is a mid-line performer given how I load and lather. I don’t doubt others might get better performance from this soap but my style (or lack of) leaves me disappointed until about the 3rd pass...then the lather is pretty good and I want to shave more.

I finished the tub today with my steampunk DE. Rollerbar base courtesy of @Dave in KY , copper tube handle and old tech top...loaded with a fresh persona med prep.
0AF19F91-840A-4264-AB0C-B5490E951914.jpeg

Like a blue moon twice in a month (can that happen?) i’ve Come to the bottom of another once full tub. I had intended on finishing a 1 ounce sample of Stirling soap but got distracted by Tabula Rosa Steampunk. To be honest this stuff is the soft kind you dab your brush on rather than swirl upon, so I thought I might burn through this much faster. As it turned out I think I spent most of the last 5 plus weeks working on this tub with few other soaps (creams) distracting me from my task. The scent is quite intriguing to me but the soap is a mid-line performer given how I load and lather. I don’t doubt others might get better performance from this soap but my style (or lack of) leaves me disappointed until about the 3rd pass...then the lather is pretty good and I want to shave more.

I finished the tub today with my steampunk DE. Rollerbar base courtesy of @Dave in KY , copper tube handle and old tech top...loaded with a fresh persona med prep.
View attachment 6667

When I used it, performance was decent and I loved the scent at first. After awhile, though, it really got on my nerves and was just weird and cloying. I’ll never buy another tub.

I like my schick and am happy I have it but I have a hard time seeing how it warrants such high prices. At the end of the day it is still using the same Feather AC type blade, the shave can only be so good. If you are a collector or would use it everyday the price would be less an issue.

159.00 plus 20.00 shipping from canada. arrival aug 9-20 is what the ad says right now i just looked.

Back