The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The 2021 TSC Weight Loss Challenge!

Finished my third bucket of protein powder this morning. That makes over 20 lbs of it ingested this year for around $250 CAD (that's approx $12.97 USD) with little to show in terms of gaining. Yes, I have put on muscle, but was that due to working out daily or were the protein shakes a major contributor? Either way, no more for me; I'll save the moolah.

I'm still hitting the elliptical for 40 mins per day since early December, but my left shoulder is acting wonky, so the weights are hit and miss. The farmer's walk is still there most days.

1624207520341.png

Yes, I have put on muscle, but was that due to working out daily or were the protein shakes a major contributor? Either way, no more for me; I'll save the moolah.
I think that might be wise. I think it is okay to supplement with the protein powder. For you, just eat steak...a lot of it! I'm not one here yo tell you what to do...because let's face it...I am barely hanging on with my health...but just a voice here to ponder...you do A LOT of cardio. Could that be a potential muscle building issue? Probably not...but just a thought. Having read what you have been going through...I am thinking that you just might be genetically predisposed to being a slim and cut guy! Nothing wrong with that Sam. Hell...I would date you? 😚 ... 🤪

Steak? Blah ;) I actually prefer the taste of veggie burgers over hamburgers. My daily morning elliptical workout is definitely helping build muscle in both my legs and core as I have the resistance turned up enough that it is basically functioning like a stepper machine more than a cardio one.

As long as you don't grow a beard or mustache, I'd date you as well, Don 💋, as I think a good woman needs a bit of meat on her rather than being a stick. 😜

Perhaps I don't belong commenting here, but I did lift weights at one time. There are guys that I saw that just couldn't build muscle but they did become defined and chiseled. Me, I can build muscle just thinking about it, but my bro-in-laws they can't do it. Personally, I'm stronger by building muscle doing old time crafts than I ever was weight lifting. Sure, I looked more muscular then, but those muscles were different than real strength. Kinda the whole cross-fit idea.

In the Navy SEAL BUD/S program (a basic training of sorts for those that want to become SEALs), the muscle bound dudes always drop out first, without fail. You know who makes it? The wiry guys that aren't small and aren't big and have no quit in them. Sounds kinda like @woodpusher that you are of that build type. Be happy with that. Your body proved to you that you can't put on massive muscle, and that's ok. Massive muscle requires massive calories to feed it and massive amounts of weight lifting to maintain it. When I could work out, I favored push-ups, flutter kicks, and log PT. Those were exercises that you did until you failed. I felt strongest then and it taught me that my body has more to give than it will let you think it does. I'd hold that log above my head until my body said I couldn't do it anymore and then I'd do it for 30 seconds more. Now I try to just maintain my 18th century muscles to do my old-time crafts. I have a single man cross cut saw I'm dying to add to that, but have some health issues that won't let me get to it this summer. That's my 2 1/2 cents.......................

Another month in the books and my weight loss continued this month. Due to some issues with my left shoulder, I am mostly off of the weights and just doing my elliptical every morning. After a few days below 149 lbs earlier this week, at least I have recovered to 150 ... for now. :rolleyes:

1625138622223.png

I suffered an injury which developed into an infection while on vacation and developed a nasty sinus infection as well, so the month has been a wash for me. I’m still 181 but I haven’t worked out in about 3 weeks. I’m glad I haven’t gained any, but I’m sure I’ve already lost muscle. Looking forward to getting back at it this weekend.

I suffered an injury which developed into an infection while on vacation and developed a nasty sinus infection as well, so the month has been a wash for me. I’m still 181 but I haven’t worked out in about 3 weeks. I’m glad I haven’t gained any, but I’m sure I’ve already lost muscle. Looking forward to getting back at it this weekend.
Matt, sorry to hear that, hope you make a speedy recovery and heal up quickly. Sounds like your vacation was more eventful than mine.

Matt, sorry to hear that, hope you make a speedy recovery and heal up quickly. Sounds like your vacation was more eventful than mine.
Believe it or not, I took a nose dive into the sand while riding a body board. The nylon rope attached to my wrist wrapped around my leg and knee. When the next wave came in, the board shot up and gave me a HUGE friction burn all the way around the back of my knee and up my leg! Well, the crease of your knee is a horrid place to heal and to keep a bandage. Even after treating it with loads of triple antibiotic, it started getting pretty bad…

Still had an amazing vacation, tons of fun! And a cool scar to remember it lol!

Believe it or not, I took a nose dive into the sand while riding a body board. The nylon rope attached to my wrist wrapped around my leg and knee. When the next wave came in, the board shot up and gave me a HUGE friction burn all the way around the back of my knee and up my leg! Well, the crease of your knee is a horrid place to heal and to keep a bandage. Even after treating it with loads of triple antibiotic, it started getting pretty bad…

Did Iryna get that on film? I mean I'm glad you're okay but knowing you are okay that might be funny now.

Did Iryna get that on film? I mean I'm glad you're okay but knowing you are okay that might be funny now.
She did not, but no doubt it would have been funny. I was actually upside down under water as the waves pulled my body board along and both my legs were tangled in the line!!! I was kind of worried about drowning at one point, then I remembered that I just needed to stand up and I was in chest depth water. Getting my damn leg untangled was the hard part 😂

Glad you had a good vacation.

No video, but some still photos are starting to surface around the internet of Matts wipeout. 🤣
1625224816380.png

I was kind of worried about drowning at one point,
I had a near drowning experience one time at a lake as a kid. Same thing just needed to stand up. Crazy how your mind plays tricks on you when under water. Glad you are okay... but still want the video ;)

Back