The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The 2021 TSC Weight Loss Challenge!

I think that's why I have a bald spot; everybody patting me on the head when I was a young'un and saying "My, you're so special. Bless your heart."

Hey guys. Mind if I join in on the fun?

Weight has been a lifelong struggle. I lost 75 lbs in 2018/19 and have been maintaining around 200 lbs (where I feel good) since then. I can actually move now and no longer have sleep apenea or acid reflux. I've almost convinced myself that feeling better trumps seconds, thirds, and fourths. I've also retired my dinner plate with the retaining walls. :)

I lost focus this summer and weighed in this morning at 205. My goal is to work back to 198-200 over the next two or three months. No fancy diets here. I try to exercise most days, and I make better food choices. I still enjoy my favorite foods, and I don't beat myself up if I fall off the wagon. In fact, I give myself permission to go nuts every now and then. I picked up an inexpensive digital scale to weigh my portions (keeps me honest), and I keep track of food and exercise with a LoseIt! app.

I got rid of all my big britches, and I ain't buyin' no more. :LOL:

I will be following along to learn from you guys, cheer you on, and because I need the accountability.

Pass the ice cream...er...fruit basket.

1.jpg

I’ve gained back 12 lbs…. I’ll be starting up wrestling practice in a week, so I’ll have to be a positive role model.

I've gained back 20lbs! The issue is that keeping up keto for the long haul is hard.
No Joke there! I think the diet is the primary struggle for me... I was able to hold steady for quite some time while I was pretty active and eating healthy, but this last month and a half has been full of stress and I haven't exercised much and have eaten like crap...

Today I fasted until lunch and I've started keto, I'm going to shoot for getting back into it over the next month and continue the healthy lifestyle.

Speaking of accountability, can we include getting our medical checkups too? Full disclosure: I hate going to the doctor, and I'm a chicken when it comes to getting poked and prodded.

A few years ago, my Bride (who has the brains in our family) and friends convinced me to get a medical checkup and get caught up on my routine medical tests. I couldn't remember the last time I went to a doc, and I didn't have a family doctor. So I reluctantly did it. Aside from getting checked out, my family doc showed me how to live a healthier lifestyle back in 2018. That set me on my weight loss path.

I also got caught up on my routine vaccinations as I volunteer in a children's hospital. Not much fun, but it was worth it to be with those sweet kids.

Things got real for me just after I started seeing my doc. I had "back pain" for a couple of days and thought I could ride it out. Then I woke up one morning and couldn't breathe. Long story short, I had blood clots in both lungs and spent six months taking a blood thinner. I've seen seemingly healthy guys 'drop dead' for no apparent reason, and I could have easily been among them.

I just had my annual physical today (got a good report, still waiting on blood test results) and Movember is around the corner, so that got me thinking.

...and for accountability...I'm caught up on routine stuff, have my 2022 annual physical scheduled, and see the dreaded urologist in February.

I don't mean to derail the thread, so I will defer to the judgement of the OP and/or forum veterans if this seems too far off topic.

I've gained back 20lbs! The issue is that keeping up keto for the long haul is hard.
John, speaking from experience here...

In 2018, when I did Keto for about 10 months straight...I transitioned to a more low carb whole food approach. And when I mean low carb, I don't necessarily mean restricting the amount of carbs I ate, but the types of carbs. For the most part I eliminated refined grains and sugars. That doesn't mean that I didn't partake of something completely indulgent from time to time...because I did. And often times, when I ate bread, I made sure that it was good quality bread (I love sourdough). I tried to stick to monkfruit and stevia type sweeteners when I needed something sweet. I didn't shy away from fruit, but I really tried not eat five apples in a day (yeah...I did that at one point in my life). I know your job is different from most of ours, but I found it really easy to adhere to a stricter dietary regimen Monday - Friday, and was more lenient on the weekends and holidays. Implementing some of these strategies allowed me to stay within my preferred weight range +/- five pounds for a really long time. It wasn't until I went hog wild with stress eating that my weight shot up 25 pounds or so.

A girl I know who is a trainer hates diets like keto, paleo, whole 30, and others because of what you are experiencing. She teaches a n 80%/20% approach to diet and exercise. 80% of the time do what you know works. The other 20%, live a little. Not sure I agree completely with this model...but I get her point.

Don't know if this helps anyone or not. But you are right...if you go keto and lose a lot of weight. Then if you go back to eating like crap all the time, you will gain it back again.

I try to keep focused on the fact that it's not about the weight completely...it's about being healthy and enjoying life to the fullest as long as you can. For most of us that means losing some weight.

Hope this helps someone.

Speaking of accountability, can we include getting our medical checkups too? Full disclosure: I hate going to the doctor, and I'm a chicken when it comes to getting poked and prodded.

A few years ago, my Bride (who has the brains in our family) and friends convinced me to get a medical checkup and get caught up on my routine medical tests. I couldn't remember the last time I went to a doc, and I didn't have a family doctor. So I reluctantly did it. Aside from getting checked out, my family doc showed me how to live a healthier lifestyle back in 2018. That set me on my weight loss path.

I also got caught up on my routine vaccinations as I volunteer in a children's hospital. Not much fun, but it was worth it to be with those sweet kids.

Things got real for me just after I started seeing my doc. I had "back pain" for a couple of days and thought I could ride it out. Then I woke up one morning and couldn't breathe. Long story short, I had blood clots in both lungs and spent six months taking a blood thinner. I've seen seemingly healthy guys 'drop dead' for no apparent reason, and I could have easily been among them.

I just had my annual physical today (got a good report, still waiting on blood test results) and Movember is around the corner, so that got me thinking.

...and for accountability...I'm caught up on routine stuff, have my 2022 annual physical scheduled, and see the dreaded urologist in February.

I don't mean to derail the thread, so I will defer to the judgement of the OP and/or forum veterans if this seems too far off topic.
I'm big into biometrics. Lab Results. Gene Testing. What have you that allows you to get a really good understanding of what your health is and what it needs to be.

I go and get lab work done and go see my doc twice a year (I have pretty good insurance). There is a lot more that I would like to do, but some of it is expensive. But any measurement that can be compared to the last or next is a good thing. Although, I always advocate for learning exactly what those tests are and what they mean. There are some tests that are not very helpful on their own. And medical professionals are not always up on what the latest and greatest studies and research are. Always do your own research that way you can have a conversation with your medical professional. If they disagree with your assessment, that's fine, just an opportunity for them to explain it and for you to learn a bit more.

Back