The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The 2021 TSC Weight Loss Challenge!

Not quite ready to report my official monthly check-in weight, as that will come the 1st of the month.

My January weight has been with a 3.5lb variance and the 7-day rolling average has less than a 2lb variance. So, despite the ups and downs on the graph, it's been pretty steady overall.
1612109709628.png

Help me!!!

I finished off the last 1/3 of yesterday's large pizza for lunch and gobbled down another 1/4 of the apple pie with ice cream as my midday snack. Now my wife has short ribs in the oven and making mashed potatoes for supper. We had to open a 1.5 litre of Merlot so she could use 1 cup of it with the ribs and now I have to take care of the rest of the vino! 🤷‍♂️

As I said .... Help me!!! :cry:

Help me!!!

I finished off the last 1/3 of yesterday's large pizza for lunch and gobbled down another 1/4 of the apple pie with ice cream as my midday snack. Now my wife has short ribs in the oven and making mashed potatoes for supper. We had to open a 1.5 litre of Merlot so she could use 1 cup of it with the ribs and now I have to take care of the rest of the vino! 🤷‍♂️

We might need to put this guy on warning.

Help me!!!

8FE85216-BD6F-40E8-AAA8-F098F50FA631.gif

For those of you who are doing fasts of 24 hrs or more, make sure to break your fast with something small. A light snack to get your metabolism restarted. Then wait 30 minutes or so before eating a big meal.

You folks thought I was joking about the volume of food I have been taking in over the past few days. 2 lbs heavier this morning than yesterday. I fully expect a LOT of it to mysteriously disappear over then next day or do.
1612183649834.png

You folks thought I was joking about the volume of food I have been taking in over the past few days. 2 lbs heavier this morning than yesterday. I fully expect a LOT of it to mysteriously disappear over then next day or do.
View attachment 46496
Looks like you are doing pretty good Sam. Putting on muscle is always WAY harder than taking fat off. Thoughts of using creatine? From all accounts that I have read it is really safe at about five grams a day and can really improve muscle building and health! I would take a look at it at least and do a little research.

No desire to take anything other than whey powder shakes as a supplement, Don. And when my current stuff is done, I'll go for a few months without taking anything to see if my body settles at its new "natural" weight.

I am happy to see all the successes, but man oh man the keto club is killing it. I cant keep up pace with those numbers you guys are reaching. Does keto stall at certain common time frames? Does it automatically enter maintenance at a certain point? I should probably just read up on it.

I am happy to see all the successes, but man oh man the keto club is killing it. I cant keep up pace with those numbers you guys are reaching. Does keto stall at certain common time frames? Does it automatically enter maintenance at a certain point? I should probably just read up on it.
Jon:
Traditionally for new KETO the 1st month is tradtionally a larger weight loss, due to water weight loss and the "cleansing and cleaning" of the organs and the transition from Carb to Fat burning as the fuel. That being said there are a number of factors that affect your questions.

1. Intermittent fasting and how long it is being done i.e. 24/48/72/96 hr fasts
2. One Meal a day or One Meal every other day
3. specific macros for the individual
4. The diet plan the KETO individual is using, including foods, and type of KETO ( pure to the letter, or "dirty keto" where cheat days and other items added

So, a long journey to your answer, and that is yes. but usually 10-30lbs for the 1st month and 5-15 lbs per month thereafter depends on the above factors. Hope that helps

Everyone is a little different but in my experience I did hit a stall my first go around. It's hard to call it a stall, because there were other things that were going on in the body. I dropped 27 pounds my first month. 15 pounds my second month. 10 pounds my third month. And 18 pounds the next three months. After that, my weight didn't budge. Now...I wasn't trying real hard either to get down any more...even though I had plenty more to lose. But in the three months that I did keto and was in a "stall," my waist still went down two more inches. All in all I lost 70 pounds, went from a 52 waist to a 38 waist, and and lost something like 14 -16 inches around the belly button area.

So, my firm belief is that at some point if you do the same thing you have been doing that you will stall. There needs to be a readjustment of sorts to continue weight loss. This might be permanent or just something that changes it up a bit. But like I said...everyone is different.

I understand the concept and science behind keto, even just watched drberg a bit.

do most of you feel the mental clarity claimed as a benefit?

not as a counterpoint, but just as a point, i wasnt exercising for a while after an injury. I added in some exercise mostly walking about an hour & a half and since june - lost about 40lbs through today. I added some muscle building stuff recently, all basic bodyweight stuff, and I’m feeling it.

havent cut out carbs though yet. Mostly “artisan” breads, rice, steel cut oatmeal, dark chocolate. Thats a hard sell for me to give up.

where are you guys with other metrics outside of lbs and triglyceride counts? Are you tracking bmi or something else?

Last edited:
Back