The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The 2021 TSC Weight Loss Challenge!

Just learned to make congee (zhou/jook) to “supplement” my diet. Or at least have something around to eat thats more nutritionally positive than whatever else is around. Hopefully it’ll keep me sated and help fuel the exercise/training i am doing.

Just learned to make congee (zhou/jook) to “supplement” my diet. Or at least have something around to eat thats more nutritionally positive than whatever else is around. Hopefully it’ll keep me sated and help fuel the exercise/training i am doing.
Just looked it up. I haven't tried it, so I won't knock it (that and I eat things that a lot of people won't even look at). I am sure versions of that taste good...but for some reason...it does not sound appetizing. But hey man...whatever works...right?

Its basically rice porridge soup. Used when food is scarce and lots of mouths to feed. A lot of water to a little rice cooked low and slow. Not the typical low and slow cook i enjoy.

I think i recognize this from all the kung-fu movies i watch, latest i recall was the 36th chamber of shaolin rewatched for the dozenth time since childhood.

also was in the news lately when i asked my friend more about how his family/culture eat rice.
105087FD-7FA0-4F84-8FEA-375A6441E905.jpeg

Its basically rice porridge soup. Used when food is scarce and lots of mouths to feed. A lot of water to a little rice cooked low and slow. Not the typical low and slow cook i enjoy.
Hmm.... rice is too carby for me, doing Keto. Are you referring to BBQ? That's fine on keto. Ever looked into it?

Yup, meant bbq. As a northerner learning to bbq south of the mason/dixon, i got real fat real quick experimenting and taste testing. Got to figure out how to get the competitive edge in this comp all you keto guys. 😂 I know rice and some carbs are a big no-no to some of y’all. Just playing around. Hopefully the sabotage is a momentary passing thought for all yall.

keto seems great, i just like food too much and eating the plain rice porridge yesterday was a quick refresher of how nice i have it right now. I think I may have to add some chicken, ginger, mushrooms and bok choy to it to give it a kick.

btw, the friend who is chinese-american who is showing me chinese authentic is on keto for last 2 years and loving it.

im glad im not doing the weight challenge..Or the keto stuff because if everything Keto is as bad as that coffee was I would starve to death first... That stuff was sooooooooooo Nasty !! But As always though I'M Rooting For ALL YOU GUYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way just out of Curiosity does all keto stuff taste as nasty as the keto coffee does??

im glad im not doing the weight challenge..Or the keto stuff because if everything Keto is as bad as that coffee was I would starve to death first... That stuff was sooooooooooo Nasty !! But As always though I'M Rooting For ALL YOU GUYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way just out of Curiosity does all keto stuff taste as nasty as the keto coffee does??
You actually bring up a good point. There are a lot of Keto products out there...most of them are not good. FYI...those Slim Fast Keto whatever they have...look at the ingredients...there is a lot of hidden sugars in it.

While I am not doing an actual ketogenic diet...what I am doing is akin to keto...it is definitely very low carb at the least. Anyway...my version (even when I did do keto in 2018) is more of a whole food approach. I try to move away from processed food as much as I can. Most of my meals contain a protein and a vegetable. For example...salmon and broccoli...steak and asparagus...chicken and brussels sprouts. I try to keep things simple...that way I know what I am getting. Sure I branch out sometimes into sauces, bread substitutes, casseroles, and other things...but they always contain whole foods.

Every diet has their version of processed foods...keto is no exception...and yes...sometimes they taste like crap. Not sure what coffee you had @Jaro1069 but some of those things are downright nasty. I have some of those types of coffees though that are pretty good too.

No, that coffee is horrid, i tried it once. really if you do keto right it really should be mostly whole foods with an emphasis on getting most of your calories from fats and then protiens, with only the smallest amount of carbs, generally from high fiber sources like vegies.

I wonder if he means "bullet proof coffee" ? Yeah not good.

I like a whole food approach but I really want a good bread substitute.

he was talking about some canned coffee. Bullet proof coffee is pretty good
Canned coffee? Keto or not I wouldn't drink it. It's like canned whole chicken....just say no!
iu

Bulletproof coffee leaves a weird after taste on my tongue.

Back