The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The 2021 TSC Weight Loss Challenge!

This would be what would be birthed I am sure and it would have some evil Bingo item attached to it

giphy.gif

giphy-1.gif
Are you making fun of my daughter? Who's the evil one.

Well got my blood work back. And my hdl, ldl, sugars, triglycerides, everything was normal. Doc said I do need to lose weight. But for the first time ever the bloodwork showed I am slightly vitamin D and Zinc deficient.

Last edited:
Well got my blood work back. And my hdl, ldl, sugars, triglycerides, everything was normal. Doc said I do need to lose weight. But for the first time ever the bloodworm showed I am slightly vitamin D and Zinc deficient.
Hop on that Vitamin D Train dude! My 25 Hydroxy level was at something like 13 when I found out that I was deficient. Started taking a supplement and taking my shirt off in the sun a bit more and it shot up to around 40...next time was 50. It came down a bit this last time...but I had not been outside as much since the baby was born and am sure it was that. I don't see you bathing in the sun right now so get your supplements in. Might I suggest looking into D3 instead of D2. Most insurances only want to pay for D2, but the stuff is super cheap. The doc was giving me D3 samples of 50,000 IUs for the longest time and then that quit. My insurance didn't want to pay for the D3 so for a couple of months I was paying cash price for it...$10 for four capsules of 50,000 IUs of D3. It doesn't sound like much...but I looked online I could get a bottle of the same brand at 50,000 IUs for about $25. So I just switched to a trusted brand of OTC D3. Right now I have this...

Amazon.com: NOW Foods Supplements, Vitamin D-3 5,000 IU, High Potency, Structural Support, 240 Softgels: Health & Personal Care

If you took the 50,000 IUs once a week (I actually break mine up throughout the week now) this would be a six month supply for about the price they were charging me for a months.

Anyway...sorry for the sales pitch...but I would look into the D3 over the D2. Quick research will show you why.

If someone's butt is bigger than their chest, shouldn't they be taking their pants off instead? :eek:
I'm already scaring the neighbors away with the wooly mammoth approach...you want everyone in the neighborhood to sell there homes too when I drop trou?

Thanks for the info Don. I'll look into that. I also wonder if this partly because my blood work was done in the winter. I am always outside when the weather is nice and have never been told my vitamin D is low. So maybe I only need to start supplementing in winter.

Hey guys...I was at Trader Joes the other day and found these little guys...

1611072047198.png1611072084311.png

You get four flats for $3.99 so I think they are a little pricey for what they are, but I thought they were interesting. About the size of street taco and really has an inoffensive flavor. Picked them up because I wanted to see if this was something I might want to make. Cauliflower, eggs, and parmesan cheese. Pretty simple I guess. Anyway...I used it for a bun (wife and I ordered burgers from a local place last night) and I probably wouldn't use them for a bun again. They are not all that fragile...but I kind of man-handle my burgers. However, this would be perfect for a taco or a small wrap. Anyway...thought I would share.

Thanks for the info Don. I'll look into that. I also wonder if this partly because my blood work was done in the winter. I am always outside when the weather is nice and have never been told my vitamin D is low. So maybe I only need to start supplementing in winter.
This is a thing for a lot of people in states that have cold winters like yours. So if I had to guess...you are probably right. Though...as we get older, our Vitamin D levels tend to decrease. I know you are not really in that age range yet...but just something that you might want to consider. There is is much evidence out there relating to chronic illnesses, disease, and viral infractions and low vitamin D levels...that in my opinion it is something worth looking into at the very least. And it is super cheap.

This is a thing for a lot of people in states that have cold winters like yours. So if I had to guess...you are probably right. Though...as we get older, our Vitamin D levels tend to decrease. I know you are not really in that age range yet...but just something that you might want to consider. There is is much evidence out there relating to chronic illnesses, disease, and viral infractions and low vitamin D levels...that in my opinion it is something worth looking into at the very least. And it is super cheap.
Yea I think I will supplement and when I start working spring ball again I will go get my levels checked again.

Yea I think I will supplement and when I start working spring ball again I will go get my levels checked again.
I recommend (not that my recommendation means anything really) that everyone get their Vitamin D (25 Hydroxy) checked when they go get their (annual or biannual) blood tests. It's a cheap test and most insurances cover it. A lot of doctors wont do it unless the patient/client asks for it. If insurance doesn't cover it...you can get it done yourself through the likes of Quest Diagnostics or Life Extension. Right now on Life Extension the test is $47. But they run sales all the time and I have seen it as low as $25. Plus they have "panels" that you can do that include it that might make it more affordable.

Last edited:
Picked up this while out for groceries. This is a BIG bag and should address my (lack of) calorie consumption. 😜

I wanted the Coconut Cream flavour, but all the hay was Vanilla (this one) or Chocolate.
image.jpg

Breaking old eating habits and forming new ones is just as much (if not more!) a mental challenge as it is a physical one. I'm trying to eat 6 times a day: 3 meals plus a mini-meal/snack in between. Been at it for 2 weeks and I'm getting there. Finding and timing "good" snacks in the afternoon and evening was the most difficult.

After almost semi compulsive scale use for a while, i decided to let &$? take the wheel and not use the scales until the weigh in.

Coincidentally, ive also recently learned how to use a korean rice cooker and made 12 cups of cooked white rice accidentally on sunday. With all the rice, I also learned to make almost authentic wok-hei’d egg fried rice on my gas burner (took the diffuser off and it was amazing to see the rocket flame). Impressive for my first go at it. Added asparagus and celery to give it some crunch, not sure how authentic that add was though. Didnt have any msg to add.

Back