The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Staying Fit Staying Sane

Today's workout was:
- 150' @150lb farmer's walk
- 3x7 @75lb bench press
- 3x7x2 @50lb dumbbell rows
- 35 mins on the elliptical

Mom only managed 25 mins on her treadmill, as her left calf is swollen a bit. No pain or stiffness, but we agreed a short, light bit of walking was probably better for it than just sitting on the couch.

Yesterday's exercises.

-Morning Run/walk 60 minutes

Ab and body exercise day:
15 minute warmup on Exercise Bike
-Crunches 3 X 35
-Leg lifts 3 X 20
-Planks 4 X 40 seconds
-Super Man(don't know how many I did)
-Mountain Climbers
-Push Ups 3 X 25

Today's workout was:
- 3x7 @75lb bench press

Mom joined in for 35 minutes on her treadmill with no break, even though her calf is still a little tight. I think my shoulder issue might be how I have been sleeping lately...... I hope.

Spring weather is starting to become semi-normal here, which means that I'll also get an extra form of exercise (well, more "relaxation" actually) as it is almost time to work on the yard and get the box gardens ready for planting.

3 days in a row, Matt! Excellent work; soon it will be a habit.
The habit is posting, I've been working out basically everyday since the middle of February. Today is day 10 of the 75 hard program I'm doing with my brother. It consists of two workouts a day for at least 45 minutes and one workout must be outside. I'm still shooting for weight loss as my overarching goal, but building muscle tone is a close second.

Thanks Sam!

Starting out a new block today with the aim of putting on 2.5-5 kg.
Training 6x a week twice a day again for the next 15 or so weeks.

I really tried to set this block up in a way that will make is sustainable, it's so hard not to come charging hard out of the gate, but I've been sitting down looking at my records and setting things up so there's room for progression, and not being destroyed starting week 1.

So far so good, had a really nice chest and triceps session, felt like we hit the Goldilocks just right weights and volumes, and it turned out to be surprisingly little 3 sets of chest and 2 of triceps.

We'll gradually add from there over the coming weeks.

The Block looks like:
Monday
AM: Bench Press / Incline Flye / JM Press
PM: DB Facepull / EZ Bar Curl

Tuesday
AM: Squat / Lunge / Band Hamstring Curl
PM: Lateral Raises / Captain of Crush Grippers

Wednesday
AM: Barbell Row / Incline Row / Lat Pulldown
PM: Incline Rear Delt Flye / Incline EZ Bar Curl / Alternating DB Curl / Calf Raises

Thursday
AM: Low Incline Bench Press / High Incline Bench Press / DB Overhead Extensions / Triceps Pushdowns
PM: Incline Lateral Raises

Friday
AM: Sumo Deadlift / Stiff Leg Deadlift / Squat Variation
PM: Wrist Curls / Reverse Wrist Curls

Saturday
AM: Pull Ups / High Rows / Incline Row to Chest
PM: Cable Cross Body Lateral Raise / Incline DB Curls / DB Reverse Drag Curls
Overachiever! 🤪

Mmmm, evening yogurt is always good, Matt. :p

Today's workout was:
- 3x7 @75lb bench press
- 35 mins on the elliptical .... mom joined in for her normal 35 mins.

Today's workout was:
- 3x7 @75lb bench press
- 35 mins on the elliptical .... Mom joined in for 35 mins on her treadmill; her leg is now fully back to normal.

A little stiff post-workout this morning, but that's okay. I have all day to do laundry relax.

Today's workout was:
- 3x7 @75lb bench press
- 35 mins on the elliptical ... Mom hit her 35 minute mark on the treadmill once again.

Today's workout was:
- 3x7 @75lb bench press
- 35 mins on the elliptical ... Mom decided to continue after our 35 walk was done and put in a new PB (37 mins) on her treadmill.

Even though I felt kind of crappy, today's AM chest session went really well. Could have done more, but being only week 2 of 12, I'm still doing my best to reign myself in.

Last week, even though I didn't push things, I was having some joint issues, leading me to recalibrate the JM Press, I had a nice breakthrough with that today, and might be the first time it felt really right.
Bench was also really clean, no strain on any reps, and that after somehow mysteriously tweaking my wrist last Friday. After my last block where every set was to the death, this is a welcome change, and feels good to know there's plenty of headroom to work into.
Having a good selection of wraps, sleeves, etc, really comes in handy when dealing with joint niggles.

Today's workout was:
- 3x8 @75lb bench press
- 3x8x2 @50lb dumbbell rows

As I have been at 7 reps for a while now, I upped my rep count by 1 this morning, with not much noticeable difference. Mom cloceked in 37 mins on her treadmill again this morning. Now that she's pushed past 35 for 2 days running, I think she's over that mental hurdle the same way she used to be "stuck" at 30 for a while.

Yesterday's Workout:

Morning Walk/Run 60min

Evening weight lifting:
  • Legs and Glutes
    • Sumo Deadlift: 3 sets, 10-12 reps
    • Hip Thrust: 3 sets, 10 reps
    • Kettlebell swing: 3 sets, 12 reps
    • Back Squat: 3 sets, 10-12 reps
    • Split Squat: 3 sets, 12 reps (per leg)
    • Calf raises with the bar/ dumbbells/ kettlebell: 3 sets, 10 reps
    • Good mornings: 3 sets, 10 reps
    • Front Squat: 3 sets, 10-12 reps

I'm a bit sore this morning...... Struggled with the new Hip Thrust exercise, it was kind of humbling... I don't really have enough space to use an Olympic bar bell and I don't have a smaller Olympic curl bar. I have some older plastic weights and the thin bars, but it just didn't work well. I ended up grabbing a 40lb dumbbell and using a chair, because my bench is too high(Cheap CAP Olympic Bench need to upgrade to a standalone bench.) Overall great work out.

Walking/Running is really advancing from basically 0 to I'd say a 4/10. I'm on week 4 of Couch 2 5K, so I'm Jogging/Running 5 minutes at a time with a 90 second rest in-between. I redid weeks 2 & 3 twice and I'm feeling great where I am and that I'm progressing.

Back