The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Staying Fit Staying Sane

Today's workout was:
- 150' @150lb farmer's walk
- 3x7 @70lb bench press
- 3x7x2 @50lb dumbbell rows
- 35 mins on the elliptical, with mom joining in for 35 mins on her treadmill.

While bench pressing, I was thinking about adding an extra set, but then I had a thought .... why not just add my last 5lbs (2x2.5 plates) to the bar? :unsure:
We'll see if I notice the difference tomorrow.

Today's workout was:
- 3x7 @75lb bench press ....... the extra 5lbs was noticeable near the end
- 35 mins on the elliptical ....... mom clocked in 35 mins on her treadmill

Today's workout was:
- 3x7 @75lb bench press
- 35 mins on the elliptical

Even after getting her 1st Covid shot yesterday (BioNtech), mom put in 35 mins on her treadmill and hot a new PB distance. She's not feeling any stiffness, soreness, and as you can guess, no fatigue. :love:

Put a bonus 1-hr walk with my wife after she finished working yesterday. As for today,....
- 3x7 @75lb bench press

I'm thinking about adding in some push-ups and sit-ups, but my workout is already ~50 mins from start to finish and I'm pooped by the time I am done.

If you want to do that, maybe best do make more of an A/B split, one day the push ups etc and the other the Bench Press etc. But no sense changing anything until you've had your fill of the current set up IMO.

Thanks, Cole. I'm not sure that I am doing enough to break things into an A/B routine. If I had another 100lbs or so of plates, I could actually do some leg work on my bench and different exercises (e.g. tricep kick-backs) with my 2nd dumbbell, which is currently empty. However, our Covid numbers are on the rise again and I have no intention of shopping and letting my guard down at this point in the game.

Today's workout was:
- 3x7 @75lb bench press

Mom hasn't skipped a beat since her CV-19 shot and clocked in 35 mins for the past two days. Normally 32-33 was normal and 35 was a puch for her. Now it's her new norm. Plus, I have her eating a green salad every day to help her fibre intake.

Today's workout was:
- 3x7 @75lb bench press
- 35 mins on the elliptical with mom joining in for a tough 35 mins on her treadmill. She needed a midpoint break.

BONUS: 55 min late afternoon walk with my wifey. My rewards afterwards was to sew a replacement zippered pillowcase for a couch pillow. Done!! Woohoo!

Today's sweaty workout was:
- 3x7 @75lb bench press
- 35 mins on the elliptical with mom joining in for 35 mins once again.

Thanks, Cole. I'm not sure that I am doing enough to break things into an A/B routine. If I had another 100lbs or so of plates, I could actually do some leg work on my bench and different exercises (e.g. tricep kick-backs) with my 2nd dumbbell, which is currently empty. However, our Covid numbers are on the rise again and I have no intention of shopping and letting my guard down at this point in the game.

Today's workout was:
- 3x7 @75lb bench press

Mom hasn't skipped a beat since her CV-19 shot and clocked in 35 mins for the past two days. Normally 32-33 was normal and 35 was a puch for her. Now it's her new norm. Plus, I have her eating a green salad every day to help her fibre intake.
No worries, no reason you can't just keep doing what you're doing. Just be on the alert for the signs that say it's time to take a break, change things up in some little way. But until they come, just keep doing what's working for you!

It's just in my experience coaching that a lot of times people think those signs mean they are being lazy or need to do even more, rather than realizing it's fatigue building, which is a totally natural thing that happens to everyone.

A little break does wonders for that.

Today, I pushed myself to do an outdoor run as opposed to my usual treadmill jog. I've been going for walks outside for the last couple weeks, but this morning was something special with the addition of cardio. I will make a point to do this every morning possible, going forward.

I'm planning on moving my truck out of our long drive way, so I can start doing @woodpusher Farmers Walks with dumbbells' this evening. I have a lot of space in the basement to do them, but my drive way is much longer.

Last night's work out was
-Romanian Deadlift 125lbs 3X12
-Good Mornings 55lbs 3X12
-Squats 150lbs 3X12
-DB Curls 25lbs 3X12
-Triceps Overhead extension 20lbs 3X8

Thanks, Cole. I *think* I'm doing okay. The late afternoon walks with my wife don't have me tired at all; heck, I don't think my heart rate goes up much. I do get a non-muscle pain in my left shoulder joint when bench pressing that I will get the doc to look at then next time I go in. Perhaps something is amiss there but for now, it is manageable.

Matt, welcome about the "unfit guys wanting to get a beach bod" train. :p Consider using a barbell for the Farmer's Walk. The dumbbells didn't work for me as the weights were contacting/pressing on my thighs.

Thanks, Cole. I *think* I'm doing okay. The late afternoon walks with my wife don't have me tired at all; heck, I don't think my heart rate goes up much. I do get a non-muscle pain in my left shoulder joint when bench pressing that I will get the doc to look at then next time I go in. Perhaps something is amiss there but for now, it is manageable.

Matt, welcome about the "unfit guys wanting to get a beach bod" train. :p Consider using a barbell for the Farmer's Walk. The dumbbells didn't work for me as the weights were contacting/pressing on my thighs.
Yeah, it's just those little niggles that are part of what I'm talking about.
Tbh, bench press is really technical, you might try Googling some videos on bench technique. Shoulder issues are really common with it, and technique can help. I know you're not being stupid and trying to overdo it.

Starting out a new block today with the aim of putting on 2.5-5 kg.
Training 6x a week twice a day again for the next 15 or so weeks.

I really tried to set this block up in a way that will make is sustainable, it's so hard not to come charging hard out of the gate, but I've been sitting down looking at my records and setting things up so there's room for progression, and not being destroyed starting week 1.

So far so good, had a really nice chest and triceps session, felt like we hit the Goldilocks just right weights and volumes, and it turned out to be surprisingly little 3 sets of chest and 2 of triceps.

We'll gradually add from there over the coming weeks.

The Block looks like:
Monday
AM: Bench Press / Incline Flye / JM Press
PM: DB Facepull / EZ Bar Curl

Tuesday
AM: Squat / Lunge / Band Hamstring Curl
PM: Lateral Raises / Captain of Crush Grippers

Wednesday
AM: Barbell Row / Incline Row / Lat Pulldown
PM: Incline Rear Delt Flye / Incline EZ Bar Curl / Alternating DB Curl / Calf Raises

Thursday
AM: Low Incline Bench Press / High Incline Bench Press / DB Overhead Extensions / Triceps Pushdowns
PM: Incline Lateral Raises

Friday
AM: Sumo Deadlift / Stiff Leg Deadlift / Squat Variation
PM: Wrist Curls / Reverse Wrist Curls

Saturday
AM: Pull Ups / High Rows / Incline Row to Chest
PM: Cable Cross Body Lateral Raise / Incline DB Curls / DB Reverse Drag Curls

Today's workout was:
- 3x7 @75lb bench press
- 35 mins on the elliptical .... mom once again went 35 mins on her elliptical. When she startd on Dec.10, she was calling it quits at 10 mins.

Yesterday's exercises.

-Morning Run/walk 60 minutes
-Evening walk in the park with Nathan riding his Tricycle 45 minutes

Evening Weight Lifting:
-Bench Press 125lbs 3X8
-Front Raises 15lbs 3X8
-Side raises 15lbs 3X8
-Inclined Chest Fly 15lbs 3X8
-Military Press 30lbs 3X8
-Resistance Band Face pull 30lb band, 3X12

Back