The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

Mmm now that sounded like a nice smelling shave! I need to revisit my sample of L’Orange Noir. I didn’t get as much longevity out of it the first time as I did some of the others. Fantastic scent though!

Orange Noir is a beautiful scent IMO. Longevity is a weird thing as it is different for each of us. Have found that most A/S does not last very long compaired to Davidoff Zino EDT which lasts several days.

Orange Noir is a beautiful scent IMO. Longevity is a weird thing as it is different for each of us. Have found that most A/S does not last very long compaired to Davidoff Zino EDT which lasts several days.

Days?! Holy get you money’s worth Batman!

12-3-18

Prep: nothing
Razor: Gillette Super-Speed Flair Tip
Blade: Topaz Platinum
Brush: No Name Badger
Soap: Spiteful Soaps- Backstabber

Had a terrible shave yesterday. Should have known as this brush is incapable of making a decent lather despite experiementing. The constant shedding didnt help matters any. Felt that the lather was so bad it didnt deserve a lather pic as it would be a bad representation of this soap.

Spiteful Soaps has a unique soap base, 1st ingredient being Soy Wax, plus they contain Olive Oil yet still produce a stable lather.

Scent of Backstabber is a light floral/bergamot/slightly Vanilla scent. Very plesent and non offensive.

Performance is pretty good, about a 6.8/10. There is room for improvment but the lather is totally servicable. Soap is a hard consistancy so it benefits from a longer load. Does tend to be a bit tempromental when it comes to water, it doesnt like to be flooded. Under the circumstances there was quite a bit of irritation but no nicks. Davidoff Adventure balm was soothing and the scents worked well together.

12-4-18

Prep: Hot Towel
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
Blade: GSB
Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: Allivian- Norwegian Spear

Had another shave this afternoon that was just OK. Went with Alluvian Norwegian Spear. picked this up second hand for around $6 and at this price its OK but full price is like $36 a tin which is crazy IMO. Comes in a tin that rusts a bit over time.

Scent of Norwegian Spear is a plesent spearmint. Nothing to write home about but it is a natural spearmint rather than a "Double Mint" type.

Performance reminds me a bit or Razorock, not to say this is a bad thing. The lather starts out very foamy and had a slight brown tint, not sure if it was from the soap or the little bit of rust lol. High coconut oil soap for sure. The lather did get a bit thicker with some work, and liked the water being added slowly. Overall its not a bad soap, but nothing stands out IMO. Finished off with Lavender Mint which added to the mint theme. The A/S has a decent cooling effect and actually doesnt smell half bad, was not sure about it from sniffing the bottle. Hope everyone is doing well and getting great shaves!

I have been very interested in soy wax. But it does not appear many shave soaps contain it. Soy wax I believe is high in stearic acid and soaps made with it are supposed to be super slick. Not sure this is true...just what I have read.

Oh man, seeing that QCS "Rose Otto" the other day made me somewhat wistful. That was a GREAT rose scent! I was a fan of QCS. I miss that Rose, the "Queen Charlottoe", and the "Esquire".

I have been very interested in soy wax. But it does not appear many shave soaps contain it. Soy wax I believe is high in stearic acid and soaps made with it are supposed to be super slick. Not sure this is true...just what I have read.

Thats right Don, Soy Wax has a high steric acid content so it helps making a stable lather. The original Grooming Dept formula was Soy Wax based as well, but not a ingredient used by many artisans.

Oh man, seeing that QCS "Rose Otto" the other day made me somewhat wistful. That was a GREAT rose scent! I was a fan of QCS. I miss that Rose, the "Queen Charlottoe", and the "Esquire".

Oh man is Rose Otto a beautiful Rose scent! Was love at first sniff lol. Have been on a Rose kick latley and this one is supurb.

This was my first experience with QCS products but have heard great things about their other scents, Esquire sounds great from the description and is one i almost ordered from them before they closed down.

I think soy was what Chris put in his 50 Shades of Vetiver MdC clone soap he made in the tutorial. It is a great soap base!

12-6-18

Prep: hot bath with Matcha Tea Bath Salts, MWF bar Soap, PAA Porthos Shampoo Bar, Pre Shave Soap Mix
Razor: Wilkinson Orange Plastic Razor
Blade: Wilinson Sword
Brush: Razorock BC Plissoft
Soap: Grooming Dept- Creedence

Had a package arrive today. 3 travel Wilkinson Sword Travel Razors, went with the orange one today since the color is pretty cool IMO. This razor has a unique loading mechanism, the top pops off sideways and has a hinge on one end. The design is neat and holds the blade with no problem.

The last few shaves were somewhat rough, so went with GD Creedence to make sure to put an end to this madness. Creedence is Violet and Lemon, the 2 notes blend together to make a fairly complex accord. Scent gets a bit stronger once lathered and works amazingly well with the menthol from the pre shave soap, as all floral scents seem to do.

Performance is among the best of the best IMO. So far i have tried every GD formula accept Coattails and the new releases, have to say this one has been my favorite of the bunch. All formulas are great, but this one is has a harder consistancy and will last much longer than the others.

This razor is a bit lightweight and reminded me a bit of the Dorco razor. The shave however was muh closer than with the Dorco. Nice snd mild but still managed a BBS. Really like this razor so far and can imagine this will get used a lot in the near future. Finished the shave with YRP aftershave. smells wonderful but not a scent i like to wear in public (same with Brut) so since i'm staying home tonight figured what the heck. Hope everyone is doing well and getting A1 shaves!

Yeh, QCS was good stuff. And I know what you mean about being on a rose kick. What are some of your favorite rose scented shaving soaps?

I have a few favorite rose scents and enjoy tge uniquness of each. WK Chypre Rose Concerto used to be my favorite untill i tried a few others. Not to say its bad, but have found a few others i prefer, as this one is more along the lines of Klar Kabinett or a powdery Rose.

CBL Black Rose Oud is a good one. Its on the darker side of rose and is a beautiful scent IMO.

Ellegant Rose-English Rose has been my 'go to' rose scent. It is blended with some geranium and i believe she used roses from her own garden. The scent of the shave soap is much better than the deodorant of the same scent, think it has to do with the ingredients of the deodorant. Performance is excellent on the shave soap.

Wet The Face- Zu Zu's Petals. This one is on the green side of Rose. I need to experiement with this soap base a bit more, but scent wise its very nice.

Almost forgot Ballenclaugh Hot Barrel Rose. Gunpowder and rose mix that is very strange and not for everyone, but i like and appreciate its weirdness.

Wild West- Ann Dunn (and Witchita). Russel uses a fantastic Rose fragrance and would be comfortable blind buying any of his Rose creations IMO. Havent tried the Private Reserve #2 or whichever one was the pure rose scent, but of the ones i've tried they have been awesome. Ann Dunn is Rose Coconut Amber and is a dark almost muted rose, and Wichita is a very complex scent with a definate Rose note blended with Coffee, Bay Rum, and other stuff.

I guess it depends on what type of Rose scent you prefer. Tons of choices out there, and since i'm relatively new to Rose scents there are many i have yet to experience, but of the ones i've tried these ones stand out the most.

Back