The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

Cool! I think someone else has mentioned Wheat State too...Don perhaps? Sounds good!

Wheat State Soaps are no longer in business. I contacted him a few months ago about coming to our local meetup, and he said he was taking some time off, but didn’t know if he was going to come back to Soap making or not.

I used to see Wheat State Soaps all over Social Media. KJ's explanation makes sense now. I have always heard good things about it too.

Sad to hear about Wheat State. I thought it was a good performing soap. Sadly the market is saturated.

Wheat State Soaps are no longer in business. I contacted him a few months ago about coming to our local meetup, and he said he was taking some time off, but didn’t know if he was going to come back to Soap making or not.

I figured he might have closed down shop. His website has bee down for a few months. Too bad as its a great soap, someone sent me a sample of Electric Lemon and i was very surprised by this relatively unknown artisan.

12-14-18

Prep: Musgo Real Classic
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Sticky
Blade: GSB
Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: DG LQV

Fairly decent shave this afternoon. Decided to go with LQV, have had this soap for a while and still dont know what to think.

The scent of LQV is a smokey/spicy woodsy that is a bit hard to describe. My GF says it smells like a ashtray and dont completely disagree. If you like B&M Roam or MT Strong & Scottish you should love this one. i usually like these type of scents but am still a bit unsure about this one, although it has grown on me over time. The more i smell this soap the more i like it, but it is unique thats for sure. Paired marvelously with the Quattro Cologne as both have a similar scent IMO.

Performance is the same as other regular DG soaps.I dont rate them as high as others and is not a favorite but still Pretty darn good. Lather whipped up to a thick consistancy in the copper bowl. Did get a little bit of neck jrritation but nothing serious. Hope everyone had a swell shave!

12-15-18

Prep: splash of warm water
Razor: Orange Wilkinson
Blade: Wilkinson Sword
Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic
Soap: Tiki Fougere

Excellent shave this morning. Tiki soaps used to be made by Amanda, these days Tiki is produced by Rob from Chiseled Face. This however is the vegan formula which i believe is currently still unavailable.

Scent of Fougere is a bright green (you guessed it) fougere that is strong, one of the better fougere scents out there IMO.

Performance is excellent. Very surprising since it has a short simple ingredient list, but this stuff surpassed all expextations. Formula reminds me a bit of the old Country Club for men Vegan, both have simple ingredients but provide one hell of a shave. Lather holds a decent amount of water but would not call it "thirsty" by any means. While lather has a light consistancy, it is not bubbly or airy. Residual slickness is top notch and has helped make this among my favorite soaps in the den.

managed to get a DFS with no irritation. Finished off with Dragon Noir, picked this up at a beauty supply store for $3 and figured "what the heck". Scent doesnt last longer than an hour max but smells nice. Hope everyone had a swell shave!

Yeah, I think I would pass on ty”smells like an ashtray” scent. But that’s just me. Nice shaves!

Some nice shaves going on. And from the Ashtray smell...I think I'm going to pass also. Tiki always made a respectable soap in my opinion. And Amanda's scents were really great.

Try Barrister & Mann Roam... THAT is some ash tray smell.. never again even if the performance is pretty solid.

Try Barrister & Mann Roam... THAT is some ash tray smell.. never again even if the performance is pretty solid.

Lol i have a sample set of Roam. Have not used it yet, but the scent is interesting...although not sure if it's a scent i would want to smell like all day lol.

Some nice shaves going on. And from the Ashtray smell...I think I'm going to pass also. Tiki always made a respectable soap in my opinion. And Amanda's scents were really great.

Amanda did make some great scents. Into The Forrest is a supurb complex woodsy scent. Her Spice Islands is decent as well, has a cilantro note that is not used by many artisans.

Back