The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

12-7-18

Prep: pre shave soap mix
Razor: Wilkinson Orange Plastic Razor
Blade: Wilinson Sword (2nd shave)
Brush: Razorock BC Plissoft
Soap: B&M Latha LPC

Had a decent shave this afternoon. Sent the LPC out as part of a trade. since i scraped off a thin top layer, decided not to waste it and give it a shot.

Scent of La Petite Chypre is a peppery Chypre type of scent. If you haven't smelled a Chypre its a bit hard to describe, kind of like a Fougere but a little different. It is one of the better scents from the Latha line IMO (along with Taigia, and Figgy Puddin).

Performance is not far from other B&M bases and the price is less than half. Have not been super impressed with performance of B&M soaps, although Will's fragrance abilities are supurb IMO. The soap did provide a decent shave, but can never get the lather consistancy i prefer with these soaps.

This cheap razor has been working out very well. So far i really like this little $3 thing, the Orange color is cool and the loading mechanism makes it a bit of a novelty. The closeness of the shaves has been really impressive, especially since its mild enough to act reckless without irritation or bleeding of any kind. Hope everyone had a swell shave!

I have a few favorite rose scents....
Thanks for the rundown on those rose scented soaps. Of the ones you mentioned that I haven't tried are the Ellegant Rose, Wet the Face, and Ballenclaugh. I'll have to check 'em out.

The ones that I'm partial to (in no particular order): Saint Charles Shave "Bulgarian Rose"; Eufros/Jabonman "Rosa Bourbon"; CBL "Rosa Bourbon"; CBL "Black Rose Oud"; Wholly Kaw "Chypre Rose Concerto"; Wild West Shaving Co. "Private Reserve #2"; Mystic Water "Yellow Rose"; Soapy Science "Rosa Pura"; Soap Commander "Love"; and Nanny's Silly signature "English Rose".

Thanks for the rundown on those rose scented soaps. Of the ones you mentioned that I haven't tried are the Ellegant Rose, Wet the Face, and Ballenclaugh. I'll have to check 'em out.

The ones that I'm partial to (in no particular order): Saint Charles Shave "Bulgarian Rose"; Eufros/Jabonman "Rosa Bourbon"; CBL "Rosa Bourbon"; CBL "Black Rose Oud"; Wholly Kaw "Chypre Rose Concerto"; Wild West Shaving Co. "Private Reserve #2"; Mystic Water "Yellow Rose"; Soapy Science "Rosa Pura"; Soap Commander "Love"; and Nanny's Silly signature "English Rose".

Many of those sound like wonderful scents.that SCS one is suppost to have some rare Rose oil from my understanding, sounds like it would be a very rich scent.

12-8-16

Prep: Mickey Lee Sandalwood Pre Shave Butter
Razor: Orange Wilkinson
Blade: Wilkinson Sword
Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic
Soap: Kell's Original- Dragon's Blood

Haven't used a glycerin based soap in a while, so decided to bust out the Kell's Original. This is a soap i picked up when i first started wet shaving and this particular formula is the Hemp Oil and Aloe blend.

Scent of Dragon's Blood is very similar to the Reef Point interpretation so they played well together. Dark incense type of scent that is fairly strong.

Performance on Kell's Original is pretty similar to other glycerin soaps on the market (Mama Bears, Taconic, Honeybee, Etc. ) whips up a thick lather with no issues. Not quite top tier performance but not terriblr either. Of these kind of soaps my favorites are QED and Honeybee as they seem to offer a bit more protection than others. Got quite a bit of irritation on the neck which i thought was impossible with this razor since its so mild. The Reef Point Balm did soothe things down a bit but neckline looked bright red afterwards. Hope everyone had a better shaving experience!

I have a plastic Wilkinson razor that I picked up somewhere. Still in the packaging. I have often wondered about it. I don't know if it is the same as yours or not but I might have to give it a try!

Many of those sound like wonderful scents.that SCS one is suppost to have some rare Rose oil from my understanding, sounds like it would be a very rich scent.
It is a rich scent indeed - marvelous!

Interesting about the Kell's. I haven't tried one of those yet. But I have no problems with glycerin shaving soaps - they work for me quite well.

It is a rich scent indeed - marvelous!

Interesting about the Kell's. I haven't tried one of those yet. But I have no problems with glycerin shaving soaps - they work for me quite well.

Kell's is just OK, their scents are fairly strong on the 2 i've tried (Dragon's Blood, Energy) but the performance is mediocre IMO there are better options out there.

I have a plastic Wilkinson razor that I picked up somewhere. Still in the packaging. I have often wondered about it. I don't know if it is the same as yours or not but I might have to give it a try!

The Wilkinson Sword Classic is the most common, it has a metal insert in the handle and is sturdy black plastic. Very good inexpensive razor.

12-9-18

Prep: pre Shave Soap Mix
Razor: Orange Wilkinson
Blade: Wilkinson Sword
Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: Crown & Crane- Deep Ellum

Excellent shave early this morning. Crown & Crane is a highly underrated artisan IMO. They offer lots of different bath and skincare products that are high quality.

Scent of Deep Ellum is a dark citrus that works well in cooler weather unlike most citrus scents. This is one of my favorite citrus scents and is very complex and deep, so the name is fitting.

Performance is excellent on both the vegan and tallow formulas. This one is the tallow and whips up a creamy lather that holds a lot of water. Top notch protection and provides a great shave. The matching balm has become one of my "go to" balms, thick stuff loaded with skin food that absorbs quickly.

Very happy with the results from todays shave, and hope everyone had a similar experience!

12-12-18

Prep: Musgo Real Oakmoss
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Sticky
Blade: GSB (1st shave)
Brush: Razorock BC Plissoft
Soap: Dr. Jon's- Cold Fall Morning

Had a fantastic shave this afternoon. First time with the Wilkinson Sticky and the Fall Morning. Found the Sticky for a decent price on the bay, and got the Dr. Jon's Cold Fall Morning (and Summer Break- Back To School) from a recent trade.

The Sunday-Funday Extravaganza is a fun Limited Edition thing Dr. Jon's is currently doing, short run with a different scent every month or so.

Scent of this soap is Coffee, Maple Syrup, and a touch of Pine. Fro the tub it smelled like a mix of berries and pine (similar to Wild West 2017- fir, pine, peppermint, apple, cranberry, vanilla, black current, bourbon, clove, cedar, and spices). But on the 2nd pass i caught whiffs of coffee and a sweet syrup background, very strange it morphed during the shave like that. This scent is very nice and has a cold element to it almost like you can smell the cold, unique scent and i really like this one.

Performance wise its very good. Whipped up a thick lather that was flying all over the den. The Wilkinson Sticky shaved like a dream. Have heard people say this razor is funny about shave angles, but that was not the case here. Darn close shave with little burn from the A/S. The CL 2018 has a scent that went well with the soap, accept it has a little floral added to its complexion. Super stoked about todays results, and hope yall had a similar experience!

P.S. i was so concentrated with the shave that i almost forgot lather pics lol. Here is a shot before 2nd pass.

12-13-18

Prep: Pre Shave Soap Mix
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Sticky
Blade: GSB (2nd shave)
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Synthetic
Soap: Wheat State- Creekside

Have had Wheat State Soaps in the queue for a while now and have been meaning to get to them, today is the day.

Wheat State is a highly underrated artisan and one that deserves more attention IMO.

This one is Creekside and has a scent that reminds me of Tim's Soap Roots. It is earthy but different from most earthy scents. Creekside is the perfect name for this scent.

Performance wise i have complained about residual slickness in the past and this certainly was not the case here. I believe the reason for this was due to lack of water. Anyways, this time i took my time building the lather and was rewarded with a shiny thick lather that was super protective. Have heard people saying they couldnt tell if the razor had a blade, and this was the case with this shave. The 1st pass was so smooth i actually had to check the razor. Perfect shave with no irritation. Had a hard time pairing Creekside with a aftershave so decided to go with Ben Franklin which is another unique scent that is hard to pair hahaha. Hope everyone is doing well and getting great shaves!

Back