The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

Lol thanks everyone! Sorry about activating everyones SAD, but hopefully this will help bring some lesser known artisans to attention. Many really great artisans rarely get mentioned on the fourms, possibly due to the sheer number of them out there these days.

11-25-18

Prep: Pre Shave Soap Mix
Razor: Gillette Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Bolzano
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Synthetic
Soap: Country Club For Men- Dark Forest

Supurb shave this morning, closest shave i've had in a while, dolphin smooth and how all shaves should be IMO.

Went with Counrty Club Dark Forest which is a excellent soap. They have gone thru several reformulations over the years, but the 3 different ones i have tried have all been great. This formula has Greek Yougurt (would have thought the culture would cause spoiling over time, but no issues thus far) and other interesting skin food ingredients.

Scent of Dark Forest to my nose is rather aquatic, clean, and doesnt feel Dark (same with WK Dark Vetiver) IMO. With that being said, it is still a nice scent just not what you may expect. Its almost like a woodsier version of Cool Water.

Performance is spectacular. Lather holds a ton of water, perhaps not as much as P&B but this soap has a bit better slickness. consistancy of the lather is like Yougurt which makes sense since its in the ingredients. Not sure if CC is still making soap or not, but would highly reccomend checking them out. Even their old Vegan formula is supurb IMO.

Finished the shave off with Mickey Lee Kraken Milk. Not sure why this product was discontinued, perhaps due to ingredient costs. Has goats milk and orange blossom water among other things that make your skin feel moisturized without being greasy. Has a milky color similar to Stirling Witchhazel & Aloe and absorbs almost immediately. Hope y'all had a similar shaving experience!

I’ll bet he even gamers good shaves with soaps he hates! (If there are any!)

Lol there are a few i don't care for and a few that are just downright bad like:
C&E
Modern Williams
Badger Shave Soap
Green Mountain
LEA Hard Puck
Erasmic Stick

Lather stability issues reguardless of experimentation.

Then there are some that lather just fine but for one reason or another dont agree with me:

Henri Et Victoria
Meissner Tremonia
PAA
Mama Bears
Cattie's Bubbles (old formula)

Lol there are a few i don't care for and a few that are just downright bad like:
C&E
Modern Williams
Badger Shave Soap
Green Mountain
LEA Hard Puck
Erasmic Stick

Lather stability issues reguardless of experimentation.

Then there are some that lather just fine but for one reason or another dont agree with me:

Henri Et Victoria
Meissner Tremonia
PAA
Mama Bears
Cattie's Bubbles (old formula)

Lol, fair enough!

11-26-18

Razor: Fat Handle Tech
Brush: RR Plissoft
Soap: TTFFC Brokkr

Had a pretty average shave this morning. No real irritation to speak of, and no nicks so no complaints.

The Through The Fire Fine Craft- Brokkr soap is labeled as a Honey Ale scent. It smells quite spicy with a touch of honey background. This is a scent that i was nervous about burning since it is a pretty strong spicy scent and have issues with these types of scents sometimes, fornuately this was not the case (similar to Smitten Soapery- Stud Muffin). Picked up this tub on clearance so the price was right for giving it a shot. Have tried other TTFFC soaps and have had mixed results depending on soap base and scents.

Performance is not bad, perhaps around 7/10 and they use unique ingredients like real Beer,Bourbon Whiskey, cherry kernel oil, etc. in several of their soaps. Consistancy is similar to DG and is a bit on the soft side. No one trait stood out for this soap, but is still managed a decent shave so thats all that matters. Finished off with L&L Cuir Et Espices since the 2 scents work well together. Hope everyone had a swell shave!

11-27-18

Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
Soap: Wet The Face- Zu Zu's Petals

Had a package from WTFshow up this afternoon. It appears they changed their tubs to clear bottom making it easier to see how much soap is left in the tub. Plus the formula appears to have been changed a bit as well. This particular soap has a pink color which is cool, and the consistancy of this soap is similar to a hard cream (think L&L) so bowl lather method is best IMO.

Scent of Zu-Zu's Petals is a green sharp rose that smells amazing. I would put it up there with CBL BRO and Ellegant Rose- English Rose as one of the best rose scents i have come across. I did get a bit of itchy burning sensation from the scent but nothing that would prevent me from using it again.

Performance wise, the lather was very bubbly to begin with but did thicken up with a bit of work. The lather seemed much more 'airy' than the sunflower formula (which i absolutely love) and it lacked the density of the older formula. Will have to use it a few more times to make a determination, but so far i prefer the older formula by far. Did get a bit of irritation on the neck, the old blade did not help and was tossed in the blade bank immediatley after the shave to make sure it wont be forgotten. Finished off with Cologne Russe ad the violet note paired well and is one of the few floral afterhshaves in the den. Hope everyone had a keen shave!

So the reformulation made it worse? Hmmm... I had this soap on my want list. Might need to hold off a little longer.

So the reformulation made it worse? Hmmm... I had this soap on my want list. Might need to hold off a little longer.

Dont get me wrong, WTF is still a decent soap. It could have just been from too much water to start with.

Once i pick up some plastic sample tubs i can include samples of each formula to add to the sample library if you or anyone else would like to try it.

11-28-18

Prep: Pre Shave Soap Mix (Burts Bees Face Wash)
Razor: Gillette Tech/Somerset
Blade: GSB
Soap: Queen City Soapworks- Gentlemen's Cut

Picked up this soap from the WTF fleamarket for $5. Have not heard of this artisan before, and the only review i could find is Donald's when he first tried the product. The ingredient list looks good, and for the price i figured it was worth a shot.

Soap comes in a gold tin that is quite sturdy and ellegant. Consistancy of the soap is very hard (similar to Soap Commander) and should be quite economical. The color is a almost translucent yellow similar to Perfectly Natral Frozen Earth, and couldnt help the comparison since they both have high kokum butter content.

Scent of Gentlemen's Cut is a tobacco barbershop type of scent that is quite familiar (MW Sweet Briar, Wild West Peace Pipe) but is still plesent scent.

Performance was a whole lot better than i would have thought given the lack of information about this soap. Whipped up a thick lather in the copper bowl, and still had more than half of the scooped soap leftover, so a very hard concentrated soap. The lather provided good slickness and post shave was quite decent. Did flood the lather on the 2nd pass but too much water did effect the cushion and thickness a bit. Overall this is a decent soap and have no regrets. Finished off with Burts Bees Bay Rum Balm which is a BR with menthol. feels interesting to have a warm scent mixed with menthol and reminded me of the Southern Witchcrafts Autumn Ash Shave from a week or so ago. Hope everyone had a A1 shave!

12-1-18

Prep: Musgo Real Classic
Soap: QCS Rose Otto

Magnificent shave last night. Recently recieved this Queen Charolette Soaps Rose Otto set from a trade on another fourm. Have wanted to try their products since i started wet shaving a few years ago. Have had their soaps in the cart at one time, but never pulled the trigger. QCS went out of business a while back so was really stoked to have oppertunity to give them a shot.

The scent of Rose Otto is a immediate winner IMO among the best rose scents i have come across. The closest thing i can compaire it to is Ellegant Rose's- English Rose - which may not be much help. It is a true rose scent that is different from Klar Kabinet or SC Rose. Very beautiful strong rose scent.

Performance for this shave was great. Lather held a decent amount of water and provided supurb protection even when i started to get a bit reckless. Did chase the BBS a bit but still managed without irriration. The matching balm soothed and kept that wonderful rose scent going for a few hours longer. Very happy with the results from this shave!

12-2-18

Prep: Mickey Lee Sandalwood Pre Shave Butter
Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: Soap Smooth- Frankincense & Myrrh

Had a swell shave this morning with the Soap Smooth. This formula uses Kyvas Water which is unusual, but its cool to see artisans experiment with the water content (Van Yualy- Tobacco Tea, Lisa's Natural- Herb Tea, etc.) And since water is needed to make soap it cant hurt to experiment IMO.

Soap Smooth's interpretation of Frankincense & Myrrh is my all time favorite F&M scent i have come across, have tried quite a few and this one is different from anything else. This scent is dark and rich incense with a woodsy twist. If you like PAA Sangre De Drago you should like this as well. Great warm scent perfect for cooler weather. The matching aftershave has some of the best longevity of anything in my den, equivelent to Fine L'Orange Noir for staying power, so potent stuff indeed.

Performance of this formula is very good. Lather starts out with a brown tint and turns white once properly hydrated. Lather consistancy gets very thick and provides top notch cushion and slickness. Even after rinsing there was enough post residual slickness to do touch ups with no problems. Hope everyone is doing well and getting the best shaves possible!

12-2-18

Prep: Mickey Lee Sandalwood Pre Shave Butter
Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: Soap Smooth- Frankincense & Myrrh

Had a swell shave this morning with the Soap Smooth. This formula uses Kyvas Water which is unusual, but its cool to see artisans experiment with the water content (Van Yualy- Tobacco Tea, Lisa's Natural- Herb Tea, etc.) And since water is needed to make soap it cant hurt to experiment IMO.

Soap Smooth's interpretation of Frankincense & Myrrh is my all time favorite F&M scent i have come across, have tried quite a few and this one is different from anything else. This scent is dark and rich incense with a woodsy twist. If you like PAA Sangre De Drago you should like this as well. Great warm scent perfect for cooler weather. The matching aftershave has some of the best longevity of anything in my den, equivelent to Fine L'Orange Noir for staying power, so potent stuff indeed.

Performance of this formula is very good. Lather starts out with a brown tint and turns white once properly hydrated. Lather consistancy gets very thick and provides top notch cushion and slickness. Even after rinsing there was enough post residual slickness to do touch ups with no problems. Hope everyone is doing well and getting the best shaves possible!

Mmm now that sounded like a nice smelling shave! I need to revisit my sample of L’Orange Noir. I didn’t get as much longevity out of it the first time as I did some of the others. Fantastic scent though!

Back