The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

20210621_204555.jpg

Turtleship Bay Rum- man I really really like this artisan! From the cool clear tubs, to the crazy ingredient list, to the customer service and cool products this company has a lot going on!

Scent of Bay Rum is not your typical bay rum. It's not clove dominant and has a cologne vibe similar to Wickhams Club Cola.

Performance is usually top notch but had some trouble making a decent lather this afternoon due to this brush acting up sometimes and needs a good Borax cleaning more so than any other brush I have ever used. Even doubled the amount of soap loaded which helped a little and still managed to get a decent shave despite getting a weird bubbly lather that is not typical with this soap base. Decided to go commando with no A/S product and skin feels nice so no problems here.

Hope everyone is doing well and getting the best shaves possible!:)

Turtleship had some really interesting scents. Always loved their cover work too for the tubs. I hadn't seen it in a while though.

Yeah their packaging is unique and good presentation. The razor stand isTurtleship as well plus they make some awesome clockwork brush handles. Customer service is above and beyond as well.

Mama Bear was the first artisan soap I favored. There were so many flavors! Never had the irritation, though I remember that some people did.

It's weird how some are sensitive to certain scent ingredients and others have no reaction, shows how different skin types can be. A lot of people started out with Mama Bears since they had been around a while and like you said their are a lot of scent options to choose from making something for everyone. Sue apparently sold the company a while back to someone else who still make a MB soaps keeping the company alive.

20210623_133019.jpg

Godrej Shaving Round- this small puck is sometimes called the Indian Williams due to its inexpensive price but it is 100 times better than modern Williams. Comes as a small puck inside a small container with a key in print on the bottom of the puck "the Key to a Great Shave" should be their slogan.

Scent is somewhat industrial but not in a Arko way, more fresh and clean with some possible Lavender notes? It's non offensive yet strong enough to be enjoyable.

Performance is very good and the fact that it has minimal ingredients just goes to show that a soap doesn't have to be loaded with exotic butters and fats in order to get a great shave. The shave went well and residual slickness is very good yet washes away clean without residue.
20210623_133543.jpg

20210628_193441.jpg

SV Felce- SV is a soap with class! Luxury soap is a perfect way to describe this brand, presentation, scent, and performance are all top notch IMO.

Scent of Felce Aromatica is fresh aquatic complex cologne scent that you can tell took some time for them to perfect this scent. Very well done with a strength of about 7-8/10.

Performance is very good as mentioned. This is a triple milled soap so a bit of extra loading time might help to get the best out of this soap base but isn't necessary. Can handle water but doesn't require a ton either. The shave was refreshing and the Folsom & CO Muir was pure gravy on the taters!
20210628_193956.jpg20210628_193956.jpg
20210628_193959.jpg

20210630_213144.jpg

Mystery soap- picked this up from a pass around box some years back. Have no clue who made this soap and have gone so far to contact Joe from Razorock to help identify since I thought it might be RR EO of Limes but the more I use this soap the more I think it may not be a RR product due to the lather texture being more creamy than RR soaps.

The scent is a sort of dusty Lime and is weird yet intriguing to say the least. It is a great scent IMO and not like anything else I have encountered. The texture of the soap is soft and can be scooped easily and has a tan/light brown color.

The lather is creamy and develops quickly and performance is very good with all the qualities we would look for in a quality product. Shave went well even with some BBS chasing still no irritation occurred. Hope y'all had a great shave and a safe weekend!20210630_213513.jpg

20210630_213522.jpg

If it was from those "earlier" days of say 2013-2015, perhaps Mike's? Soap kinda looks like it and I'd hold lather from Mike's above RR in terms of performance/creamy-ness
Mike's does make a good lime soap. Now I'm going to sound like those folks lamenting the changes in Williams soap: I do not like the contemporary Mike's soap as well as I did the original.. Originally, it had a clay product that gave excellent cushion. What he offers today is a good soap at a good value, but I prefer the original formulation.

Mike's does make a good lime soap. Now I'm going to sound like those folks lamenting the changes in Williams soap: I do not like the contemporary Mike's soap as well as I did the original.. Originally, it had a clay product that gave excellent cushion. What he offers today is a good soap at a good value, but I prefer the original formulation.
I'll be honest, it has been YEARS since I've used a Mike's soap, so I didn't even realize there had been a reformulation at some point!

If it was from those "earlier" days of say 2013-2015, perhaps Mike's? Soap kinda looks like it and I'd hold lather from Mike's above RR in terms of performance/creamy-ness

Great observation! The color does look like Mike's but the texture is very soft. Had a chance to sniff Mike's Lime at Maggards a while back but don't remember it smelling like this stuff but it's possible. Mike's is a excellent soap base and one of the OG's in the artisan world.

20210705_204914.jpg

Victory Shaving- just got back from another short vacation with about 4 days growth and had a package from Victory waiting our arrival.

Scent of Pacific Peril is clean and fresh with a touch of floral/citrus but is not heavy on the floral and it is very well blended and hard to pick out individual notes. As Dale mentioned this would be great for summertime!

Performance is very good on any Vicotry soap. This one has a softer texture than others from the Victory line up but not a problem whatsoever just observation. Scooped a small dab into bowl which lathered beautifully and wish I had took a lather shot but was tired from a long drive sorry. The shave was super refreshing despite some sunburn and the .menthol level was much stronger than anticipated giving Champaign Lady a run for the money cooling wise. Finished off with some Masters Lilac Vegetol as well as a dab of Victory Beard Balm and some hand cream for good measure. Very happy with the results from this shave and hope you had a great shave as well!

20210707_164223.jpg

Godrej Shaving Cream Menthol- nice inexpensive Indian shave cream and among the best of the best creams I have tried.

Scent is clean and fresh with a good amount of cooling menthol.

Performance is excellent and whips up a thick lather. Did have some minor issues with the razor/blade combo but still ended up with a decent shave so no complaints.

20210709_160814.jpg

QCS Rose Otto- such a shame this great artisan is no longer around, their products are top notch and I always get a remarkable shave from this combo and was super stoked to have found this set on the BST some time ago.

Scent is Rose Otto which smells beautiful and even though it is a cheaper Rose oil it Checks all the boxes. Strength is fairly strong but not overpowering perhaps 6.5/10 or so. This is the only QCS soap I have tried so cannot compaire it with others from their lineup.

Performance is excellent on both Of thses QCS products. Whips up a creamy lather with minimal effort. This shave felt like a million bucks and was about as perfect as it gets! The balm is nice soothing and protective. This is a artisan I would gladly trade for if given the opportunity to try other scents.

Hope everyone is doing well and getting the best shaves possible ;)

Back