The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

20200229_182452.jpg

Haslingers Seaweed old Tallow formula-

I tend to put Haslingers in the "Usual Suspects"category along with Proraso, Tabac, Williams, Arko, etc. And as a result tend to overlook due to them being too common.

Scent of Seaweed smells nothing like Marine life but rather EXACTLY like my Grandmothers bathroom, she used to have that Blue colored scented toilet paper which makes me think of this scent. It is a clean slightly Floral scent that is not offensive or overly strong (the main complaint with Haslinger) but if you want a strong Haslinger scent check out the Spa Sandalwood. if Arko is the Urinal Puck this is the bathroom potpourri.

Performance on this shave was amazing! So much sickness I dropped the razor multiple times and was shocked at the lather quality. Have not tried the recent reformulated V3gan base but this shave was about as perfect as it gets!
20200229_183055.jpg

20200229_183058.jpg

20200301_161512.jpg

Soap Commander Renewal-

Scent of Renewal is fresh clean "Floral Fougere" that smells similar to Irish Spring.

Performance is not bad but not going to win any awards for protection, although longevity and value are the strong suits IMO. Soap whips up a lather easliy and with no problems and provides a passable shave so I don't want this to sound like I'm being hard on Soap Commander, just being honest and with the hundreds of soaps bases I have tried i would put it down as average and nothing to get excited about. Their scents are well done and some other nice choices are: Love, Endurance, and Courage.
20200301_162020.jpg

20200301_162026.jpg

Wow, someone that can really tolerate Night Music!

View attachment 18131

Soap Commander Renewal-

Scent of Renewal is fresh clean "Floral Fougere" that smells similar to Irish Spring.

Performance is not bad but not going to win any awards for protection, although longevity and value are the strong suits IMO. Soap whips up a lather easliy and with no problems and provides a passable shave so I don't want this to sound like I'm being hard on Soap Commander, just being honest and with the hundreds of soaps bases I have tried i would put it down as average and nothing to get excited about. Their scents are well done and some other nice choices are: Love, Endurance, and Courage.
View attachment 18134

View attachment 18135
I don't know if this will be of any help. It feels like I'm a little league player trying to give a Yankee or Red Sox tips. Lol.

I have one Soap Commander soap, and I use it so unfrequently that I can't remember how it works. I know the first time I tried it I thought it was quite subpar. I had since gotten some help... It may have been at DFS, or the other place... I can't recall. There's definitely threads out there, though.

It was either an odd soap in the fact that It required a lot of water to soap ratio... Or the other way around. Lol. I find myself hunting the thread down each time I need to use it. Still, If you are a big fan of the scent, it might be worth looking into. I recall getting some great shaves from it after following the advice... Slick and hydrating.

20200302_132017.jpg

Vintage Palmolive- Colgate-

This one is pretty hard to find in the wild but was lucky enough to find one on the bay for a good price a while back. While there is nothing quite like Vintage Tallowy goodness, most of them have little To no scent left making it a difficult choice. Did notice there is another tub of Royal London and thought about getting it since it is my favorite Vintage Tallow soap by far but will never finish the one i have as it is. still sealed making it only the 3rd tub i have seen or heard of on the net. Anyways, sorry for rambling on (or if I broke any rules) but back to this Palmolive.

It doesn't have that Classic Scent as the Shave Stick and is as close to unscented as could be. Puck is a cool Green color and would be awesome if that color translated into the lather!

Performance is not bad but as mentioned it is not my favorite Vintage soap. Provides plenty of slickness although not as slick as the previous Haslinger shave, that was crazy! Lol. This shave went well and finished off with HEV 'Yak & Cuban Cigars Balm which is a top notch skin care product IMO.

20200302_132726.jpg

20200302_132735.jpg

CRAZY LATHER!;)

I don't know if this will be of any help. It feels like I'm a little league player trying to give a Yankee or Red Sox tips. Lol.

I have one Soap Commander soap, and I use it so unfrequently that I can't remember how it works. I know the first time I tried it I thought it was quite subpar. I had since gotten some help... It may have been at DFS, or the other place... I can't recall. There's definitely threads out there, though.

It was either an odd soap in the fact that It required a lot of water to soap ratio... Or the other way around. Lol. I find myself hunting the thread down each time I need to use it. Still, If you are a big fan of the scent, it might be worth looking into. I recall getting some great shaves from it after following the advice... Slick and hydrating.

Thanks Doug! Soap Commander is a decent soap and really does perform well. I just think I have been spoiled by some of these Artisans cranking out some of the best soaps ever, it really is the best time to be a part of this wonderful hobby! Being a hard soap it does require a longer loading time and can handle quite a bit of water.

Have you tried their balms Doug? They have a bit of menthol and are top notch!

Thanks Doug! Soap Commander is a decent soap and really does perform well. I just think I have been spoiled by some of these Artisans cranking out some of the best soaps ever, it really is the best time to be a part of this wonderful hobby! Being a hard soap it does require a longer loading time and can handle quite a bit of water.

Have you tried their balms Doug? They have a bit of menthol and are top notch!
I haven't yet tried their AS. I don't go for scented aftershave though, so finding a good one can be tough. However, I do know SC has an unscented. Any idea if that has menthol, too?

I have been finding myself using Duke Cannon Ice balm a lot recently. It's really good stuff. I just wish it was completely unscented.

As I said, it's a tough hunt. [emoji3525]

Sent from my TRS-80 using Tapatalk

I haven't yet tried their AS. I don't go for scented aftershave though, so finding a good one can be tough. However, I do know SC has an unscented. Any idea if that has menthol, too?

I have been finding myself using Duke Cannon Ice balm a lot recently. It's really good stuff. I just wish it was completely unscented.

As I said, it's a tough hunt. [emoji3525]

Sent from my TRS-80 using Tapatalk

It appears that you could get Integrity Balm either with or without the menthol, which is a good thing as some people have sensitivities.

20200402_084638.jpg

Crown & Crane Deep Ellum- beautiful Citrus scent that is elegant and smells like a high class Fragrance. Very deep fresh and complex.

Performance is great with C&C products and they are all quality products. The Body Powder has a strong scent which lasts a surprisingly long time for such a product.

Whipped up a thick lather for a decent drama free shave.

Hope y'all are staying safe!20200402_095213.jpg

20200401_164840.jpg

Mystic Water Lilac- nice well done Floral scent that is a bit sweet without being cloying. Really like how the scent opened up once lathered.

The shave was top notch and didn't apply A/ S till hours later and didn't notice any I'll effect.

20200331_153114.jpg

Haslinger Spa Sandalwood- the strongest scented from the Haslinger line IMO. Has a strong musky sandalwood similar to Aduvardic bar soap.

I've said this in the past but Haslinger is a sleeper and a damn good product. The fact that it gets mentioned a ton made me subconsciously discard them which was a terrible mistake. Not the cheapest per Oz but one of the slickest soaps I have come across.

Back