The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

20200213_134254.jpg

WK Chypre Rose Concerto- this is the regular Tallow base without Donkey Milk but is EXCELLENT. Has a Rose scent supported by other notes (Cedar perhaps) that gives it a Milky Rose vibe.

Performance is top notch and was a big fan of this soap base right from the very beginning even starting threads about it.
20200213_134912.jpg
20200213_134918.jpg
20200213_135314.jpg

Way too good of a scent for its own good! It’s become an at-least-once-a-week AS when I’m craving something fresh.

Citrus Musk is a scent that I didn't care Much for at first and found I have to be in the mood for, but is perfect for a warm Spring/ Summer day! One of the underrated Pinaud scents.....still have yet to try Lime Sec which could make it on the list since Lime scents have been quite appealing lately.

20200214_125828.jpg

Victory Shaving Champaign Lady- another inexpensive underrated artisan that rarely gets mentioned which is a shame IMO. Comes in a 4oz tin filled to the brim and has a firm texture that is quite hard for artisan soaps.

Scent of Champaign Lady is Lavender, Lemon, menthol and smells like a glass of Pink Lemonade, the Lemon and Lavender blend well and am usually not a big Lavender fan but really like this scent. The menthol level is cooling without being overpowering.

Performance is very good. Soap is loaded with skin food and has a unique base of Soy Wax plus a little Olive Oil without killing the lather which is a major accomplishment. Had a marvelous drama free shave.

20200214_130321.jpg

20200214_130326.jpg

20200215_123205.jpg

Wickhams Super Smooth Club Cola- if you like the scent of Cola this is a must try IMO. Super Smooth is Wickhams older formula with PIG Lard and has a much softer croap consistancy than the current 1912 soap base.

Performance is very good. Only a small fan is needed and lathers quickly with no problems. Had a swell shave and finished off with CB LPV which paired well with the Club Cola.
20200215_123753.jpg

20200216_104726.jpg

Super lather with Noble Otter Noir Et Vanille and Vintage Ingram.

Scent of Noir Et Vanille is one of the best Tea scented soaps I have experienced, this is what I wanted L&L Sweet Peach Tea to be (rhymes). Very complex with a citrus background and quite strong which is a plus IMO plus the scent worked perfectly with the Menthol cooling of Vintage Ingram Shave.

The shave went well and whipped up some top notch lather. Finished off with Storybook Soapworks Hallowards Dream A/S.
20200216_105405.jpg

20200216_105408.jpg

20200217_220443.jpg

Crabtree & Evlynn Nomad- this is the somewhat Vintage Tallow base that lathers great, not like the most current crap they pass off as shave soap (crack tree & heroin I call them as they had to be on something to think that shave soap was acceptable).

Scent of Nomad is fresh and clean not like linen but more like a nice aquatic men's fragrance, scents are something C&E DOES do well I must say.

Performance is decent but not going to win any awards in my book. Lather had no stability issues which is the #1 complaint of the reformulation. The shave went ok but nothing to write home about. Finished off with CL Taum Sauk as this has a similar vibe.
20200217_221035.jpg

20200218_164048.jpg

Dr Jon's 13- this was a LE made for the wet shaver review (WSR) that does Utube reviews.

Scent is fairly light and can't remember all the notes but has Super Iso E and has a mysterious Sandalwood vibe.

Performance of Dr. Jon's Vol2 is quite good. Have yet to try the vol3 but this is much firmer than the vol1. Soap uses a Vegan soap base that should please most Tallow snobs (Southern Witchcrafts is sure to please them ALL in a blind test). Had a great shave and finished off with Propoganda which is VERY similar to 13.
20200218_164418.jpg

20200220_152759.jpg

A&E Khalifa- this soap base is on many people's ELITE soap list and is very close to being on mine as well. Their scents are excellent and pretty much my only reserve is the way it lathers which is unique...

Scent of Khalifa is strange, sweet, and don't really know how to describe it other than it is similar to NO Monarch and almost has a Grape Soda kind of sweetness.

Performance is very good as you could imagine or if you don't already know. I have found this soap base lathers weird and starts out very slow and takes a lot of work to get the correct texture. Despite any lather issues this soap still provides amazing protection and this was no exception.

20200221_114257.jpg

Petal Pusher Fancies Oakmoss & Sage- this one is another soap that lathers weird IMO but is lacking the protection of A&E making this one on a lesser tier. Starts off like a Cottage Cheese texture like Ogallala which are the only 2 soaps I have ever seen with this feature.

Scent of Oakmoss & Sage is unique and not a common pairing by any means. It almost comes across as Musty in a way and seems to be a love or hate scent from any comments on this particular soap. Finished off with Eucris which is a bit strange as well lol.

20200223_111438.jpg

First Canadian Maximo Gomez Cuba- this is a artisan that has changed owners and a formula upgrade since they first came on the scene several years ago.

Scent of MGC is amazing!@#$ It is advertised as a Citrus Green Tobacco Flower scent and is complex and STRONG! Guarnteed not to have a scent quite like this in your den.

Performance is very good and provided a too notch shave and couldn't be happier with the results. Even did a little baby chasing without consequences which goes to show the protection of this soap base. Tons of sickness and have to be careful not to drop Brush or razor.

Hope y'all are doing well and getting the best shaves possible!

20200226_084924.jpg

La Toja- have only used this stick a few times since I usually don't care Much for Shave Sticks and prefer to lather a soap itself.

Scent is a light slightly salty Air which is not really my "cup of tea" and the reason I don't use this soap much to be honest.

Performance is decent but not as good as Palmolive Stick IMO. It lathers well and did provide a drama free shave but doesn't feel as slick as MOST soaps in the den. Could see why people like this one but IMO there are much better choices when it comes to shave sticks.
20200226_085552.jpg

Performance is decent but not as good as Palmolive Stick IMO. It lathers well and did provide a drama free shave but doesn't feel as slick as MOST soaps in the den. Could see why people like this one but IMO there are much better choices when it comes to shave sticks.
what other sticks (besides Palmolive) do you like? I’ve got a DRH stick that’s my current travel soap and a stick of La Toja in reserve.

what other sticks (besides Palmolive) do you like? I’ve got a DRH stick that’s my current travel soap and a stick of La Toja in reserve.

D.R.Harris is a brand I have yet to try regarding soap, their aftershave scents are very nice though!

To be honest I am not that experienced with Shave Sticks as I prefer to lather a soap itself (either scooped or on the puck) but Speick is decent, Tabac is decent if you like the scent, same for Arko/Derby but not as protective IMO. Have a QED Mocha Java stick that smells & performs marvelously but is discontinued :( the worst one I tried is without a doubt Erasmic, that stuff would not lather worth a damn and even grated turned into a Chalky powder. Would recommend trying a few and see what you like best. Wilkinson Sword and De Vergulde Hand are on "the list".

I think we need a video to see the process in making your soap snow-cones for the pics...

Hahaha I would Dave but am somewhat technologically impaired....but will perhaps try and look into doing a short tutorial. Once face lathered put soap back on brush then "pat" it with hand to get the peaks, can manipulate it a bit to desired effect!

20200228_154120.jpg

B&M Night Music- very unusual scent that is Polorizing for sure. When i first sniffed this at Maggards it was a immediate NO but got about a 50% tub from a trade or BST which was from a previous year and this one smells VERY different. Strawberry, Musk, Bergamot, Vanilla, iris that comes across as mostly Strawberry with some heavy Anamilistic Musk with perhaps a touch of Vanilla to round things out a bit. This is one to try if you like Castorium or other heavy musks.

Performance of B&M can be hit or miss with my experience but this shave went well. Was in a bit of a rush and wish I had took a lather shot as it has a Brown tint which is a bit unusual.

Back