The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

@(#*@ !@)#! %#(*()@ AGAIN!! That's right, I see a soap in this thread I decide I'll make a un-thought out purchase of and it's not available. Curse you @Shavewizard420!!!

Hahaha dang Dave sorry about that brother. Teasing y'all was not the intent, if there is anything you would like to try please feel free to shoot me a PM. There is no way i could possibly use it all lol and would be more than happy to share with any of you fine folks here at TSC!

I enjoy your lather reviews, and can only wonder at how many soaps you must have. Thanks for keeping this journal, despite the damage it will likely do to my wallet.

Thank you foe the kind words! Lol yeah my "den" is more like a museum, i keep most of my soaps on a big shelving unit that works pefectly and holds a good amount of tubs. sample storage on the other hand is something i need to work on, have some in bathroom cabnet and the office. Wish it was as organized as some of these guys dens.

20191118_095023.jpg

Van Yulay Oh Man- my personal favorite VY soap formula of the many bases she currently offers. Unfornuately the scent options on these 2 OZ hard pucks is very limited to 3 (i think) which is strange considering the VAST variety of the main bases.

Scent of Oh Man could be considered a Barbershop. It is Boozy and complex, closest thing i could compaire it to would be MER Barbershop.

Perfoemance is very good and provides everything one would ask for in a quality soap. The ingredient list is supurb and this little puck is loaded with skin food and some interesting things as well (Emu oil).

The shave was great and finished off with MLSW Kraken Milk which paired well with the scent of the soap.

Hope yall had a swell shave!

22043.jpeg

20191119_155431.jpg

PAA Sangre De Drago- splashed on some of the A/S first thing in the morning so decided to go with the full set by evening.

Scent of SDD is Oud & Sandalwood but this description does not do this scent any justice, it is a masterpiece and reminds me a lot of Soap Smooth Frankencense & Myrrh, both are in the "elite" category of woodsy incense scents.

Performance is passable and would give it a C rating, just above Razorock or Proraso and capable of providing a decent shave but nothing to write home about either IMO. This is just my preference but i reach for PAA'S aftershaves before the soaps.

The shave was a bit rough and this blade started to tug really bad which is not good since the blade was performing beautifully up to this point. After 3 shaves it should not feel like this lol. Did get some burn from the A/S which is more of a cologne and PAA really shines on longevity of the A/S's and could only inagine how the new EDT's last♤♡◇♧!

20191119_155829.jpg

20191122_073620.jpg

Ellegant Rose Woodland Spice- absolutely LOVE this soap base! Little known on the fourms (if at all) plus is made right here in Michigan, natural scents, and clean ingredients.

Scent of Woodland Spice is a familiar mix of Cedar, Spruce, Fir, Orange, Cinamon, and Clove. Despite Cinamon being present there has been no burning sensations whatsoever.

Performance is top notch and can whip up a thick lather that holds a ton of water.

20191123_084356.jpg

Stirling Haverford- this artisan proves that a soap doesnt have to cost $30+ to provide a decent shave.

Scent of Haverford is a spicy complex Men's Cologne fragrance. This description doesnt do this scent justice as this is a very nice scent indeed!

Performance is quite decent. Stirling has its die hard fans out there and i can see why. They are a fantastic value, have a wide selection of scents, and weigh in at 5.8 oz (am pretty sure they weigh more than that but just to be on the safe side).

The shave went well and finished off with matching balm. Did have to switch blade & razor mid shave. Went with the Tiger Platinum and this is a TERRIBLE blade, should have known better since the regular Tiger Blades are one of the worst blades ever. Slapped a new Bolzano into the Wilki Classic and it was jight and day difference.
20191123_085255.jpg

20191124_134910.jpg

Razorock Tuscan Oud- LOVE this scent although its hard to describe, its sweet and slightly weird.

Performance was not very good, ended up with weepers and some bad irritation. Ended up needing some Myrsol Emulsion Balm to soothe things down a bit. The Pinaud Brandy Spice paired well with the Tuscan Oud as both have a unique sweetness to them.

Hope y'all are in good health and getting the best shaves possible!
20191124_135409.jpg

Weird scent, rose soap and “decent” shaves. I made it through this update without wanting to spend money ;)

A Tiger bites again................they're the only one to compete with the Graham Field blades for worst ever :cool:

Havent heard of Graham Field Blades but thanks for the heads up, will try to steer cleer of them. The regular Tiger blades are attrocious but had a sliver of hope that the Platinum would be different. They are a step up and are at least useable but barely lol.

Weird scent, rose soap and “decent” shaves. I made it through this update without wanting to spend money ;)

Hahaha your wallet will thank you! Sometimes its good to kick back and enjoy what you already have rather than lust over the things we want. You may be surprised how opinions can change as time goes by.

20191125_141409.jpg

The Shave Den( 2X Iced) Havvoc- its sad to say that the TSD soaps/Creams are no longer available. Joanna had some quality products that were made to order and you could customize and add menthol to any scent which is a great idea IMO.

Performance is very good and have been happy with TSD soaps since day one. The lather consistancy is different from most other soaps with a similar ingredient list, dense yougurty texture is to be expected eith little to no bubbles. The shave was great despite some residual irritation from the day before. I added some extra menthol crystals a while back so this soap is a face freezer for sure, skin was so numb that it actually gave me the chills lol.

Scent of Havvoc is a Aqua Velva dupe but is not exactly a clone. The 2 scents are similar and pair well together (of course). Decanted some AV into this beautiful Guarlain Glass bottle to add a touch of class, the juice that was orignialy in this bottle smelled terrible but the bottle is so ornate it makes the Classic Blue liquid looks cool.

Hope yall had a swell shave and a dafe weekend!
20191125_141925.jpg
20191125_141935.jpg

20200104_123921.jpg

Got a few new soaps to review and this being 1 of them. J.l.davis is in the unobtanium category as it is no longer in production.the lather was decent but want to experiment further. Scent is slightly citronella spice to my nose but is plesent.

20200102_145204.jpg

CB Dirty Prose- was curious to see how a CB Rose scent would be like and this is a excellent Rose scent that is somewhat similar to YRP but with a heavy Vetiver presence. Im a sucker for anything Rose and this one is unique enough to not your typical Rose scent. The A/S seems to be more Rose forward than the soap but really like this one.

Back