The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

20191013_165934.jpg

Gustafsons Stubble Management for this shave. Dang this update is beyond overwhelming lol and still have a ways to go.

This soap is still being produced under the name Square One Soapworks and is pretty much unknown on the fourms but has excellent performance.

Scent is a mix of Peppermint and Anise and although im not a fan of Black Licorice type scents, this one is OK in my book.
20191013_170644.jpg

20191015_181710.jpg

Lisa's Natural Somaili Rose- this is a strange scent IMO that smells more like a scented Baby Powder than Rose but is a scent that i have come to appreciate.

This is the "older" formula that performs beautifully.

20191018_152523.jpg

Razorock Mudder Focker- nice unique earthy sweet scent. Performance is not bad and seems to be a bit better than some of the other RR/TFS soap bases IMO. Had a great shave and finisjed off with Oleo F&M Balm.20191018_153000.jpg

20191020_221112.jpg

Siliski F&M- earthy resinous scent that is slightly light unlike many other F&M scents which can be a bit potent. Siliski makes top notch products and have been very happy with all of their products i have tried. A true artisan that takes pride in his work and has even done a few formula tweaks to make some subtle differences. Finished off with matching A/S Oil which is Hemp Oil bases and absorbs quickly.
20191020_221947.jpg

20191021_111541.jpg

Soap Smooth Pumpkin with Homemade Pumpkin Cheesecake that my lovely GF whipped up (excellent!) And thought it would go well with the theme.

Soap Smooth has always been a bit of a underdog artisan that doesnt get the attention they deserve. This is the Vegan soap base and provided a great shave. Finished off with some Leviathan EDT!
20191021_112059.jpg

20191023_192310.jpg

Wheat State Soaps Sandalwood Vanilla for this shave. Another excellent artisan that went under rencently which is a shame. Performance reminds me a lot of QCS so both make a similar consistancy of lather. Scent is sweet and fairly light- the Vanilla is not heavy like a scented candle but more of a blend with the Sandalwood making the 2 a bit hard to pick up individually.
20191023_192816.jpg

20191025_170812.jpg

PAA Oud Spice- as much as i frown down on the business practices of Mr. Smithe (Hodges) i believe in giving credit where credit is due. This Oud Spice is one of the best Old Spice interpretations i have come across, it smells AMAZING.

The shave went well even though im not a big fan of this particular soap base. The lather was protective and had no issues. Have been getting some amazing shaves with this cheap Dorco razor despite it being very cheap plastic. Very mild and forgiving you have to try hard to cut yourself with this one.

20191026_123816.jpg

Decided to so a Uberlather with Aramis and Proraso Sandalwood. Love the Aramis scent but perfoemance is lacking a bit so the proraso helped quite a bit. Plus the scents are a match made in heaven giving a woodsy sandalwood tone to the Aramis. Shave was just OK and nothing to write home about.

Hope yall are in good health and getting the best shaves possible!

20191027_122938.jpg

Victory Shaving Rosie- another underrated artisan with a quality product for a affordable price. The owner is also a great person to deal with, have exchanged a few emails and their customer service is top notch.

nice Rose Sandalwood scent, the Rose is subtle and the notes blend well and almost has a Chocolate quality.

Performance is very good and is a Soy Wax based soap which also includes Olive Oil done in the correct proportions and does not hinder the lather stability at all. Had a decent shave and skin felt soothed and moisturized afterwards.

20191027_123533.jpg

20191028_170029.jpg

Stroppe Shoppe Teakwood- have not used Stroppe Shoppe in a long time and have only tried it once in the past. From memory the soap base reminds me of LA Shaving Co.

Scent of Teakwood is very light with subtle hints of woodsy notes.

Performance was not bad but nothing special IMO although this may just be due to personal preferences. Sample whipped up a thick lather with no issues but felt the lather could be more protective IMO. Finished off with HEV C&C Balm.

Hope yall had a swell shave!
20191028_170421.jpg

20191030_091412.jpg

Soap Smooth Frankincense & Myrrh- by far the best F&M scent i have Ever smelled! Just amazing woodsy incense Nag Champa kind of scent perfect for this time of year.

Performance is excellent with all of the SS soap bases, but i prefer the tallow base like this one, plus they are made with Kyvass water which is new to me and never heard of this before. The shave was great and finished off with matching A/S to keep that wonderful F&M scent going for hours, longevity is certainly no problem with this aftershave and since i mostly shave at night i can still detect it the next day which is impressive.

20191030_091824.jpg

20191030_091832.jpg

20191031_162642.jpg

Grooming Dept Mallard- this is one of the essential Fall scents in the den, Sandalwood and Coffee but so much more than that.

Performance of ANY of the GD soap bases are among the best of the best IMO. This is obviously the Mallard Duck Fat soap base which has a much firmer consistancy than the others, making it a good idea if soap longevity is a concern. The shave was amazing and could almost shave with just the soapy water or residue if need be. Finished off with Stirling Gentleman which paired well with the Mallard.

20191102_095935.jpg

PDP 63- one of the best Fall scents right up there with Mallard, Autumn Ash, sangre De Drago, etc. Sandalwood & Coffee come together to make a Men's Cologne type of scent, closest thing i have come across is A&E Revolution but they have their differences.

Performance is not as good as the scent IMO. It makes a airy lather that is passable but no bells & whistles here. The fact that this is a Quad milled soap (are there any other 4x Milled soaps?) Means it should last practically forever even if bloomed and loaded by a 3017'er with a Big Bruce lol.

The shave was just OK but nothing special Finished off with Florida Water which is a Classic scent that was even used as Mouthwash by Scarlett O'hara from Gone With The Wind.

20191105_131726.jpg

A&E Amber Rose- nice Rose Sandalwood Men's Cologne scent. Very complex as with most of the A&E scent profiles. The Rose is of a accord and is not floral or feminine in any way, smells more like a Sanalwood to my nose. The shave went well but had some trouble with latger being too runny.

Back