The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

20191106_171644.jpg

Phoenix & Beau Sanskrit- Yet another Old Spice type of scent (that time of year) this one has Cardamon Sandalwood and Black Pepper. P&B is in a similar boat as T&S since both seem to have somewhat controversial scent profiles where people seem to either love or hate. I was not a fan of any of the P&B scents at first but have grown to appreocate them for what they are, started out with Citra Royale and ended up with 5 scents over time.

Performance is very good and many people put them as top tier status. Soap whips up a thick creamy dense lather that can hold a ton of water and needs more than you may think at first. The shave itself was beaitiful and couldnt ask for more, the SC Endurance balm was sheer bliss!
20191106_212138.jpg

20191107_194259.jpg

Speick- havent used this Classic shave stick in a VEry Long time. Grated and pressed in a bowl for easier loading.

Scent is classified as herbal and similar to the Palmolive Stick is is a unique profile but not as strong as the latter.

Performance is very good for a non-artisan soap maker. Whipped up a thick lather that had a shiny quality plus can hold water with a wide tollerance. Shave was great with no complaints. Finished off with Desert Heat Balm and the 2 paired well together.

Hope y'all had a swell shave as well!
20191107_194804.jpg

Fine Freen Vetiver- many people compare the Fine Soaps to Tabac claiming they are made by the same factory, weather or not this is true is another story.

Scent is of course Green Vetiver it is earthy crisp and tart. Matching aftershave is SUPER potent and was going to use it but dediced against it due to the days plans.

Performance of Fine soaps is just Fine, lol couldnt help myself :) lathers quick and is capable of generating a nice comsistancy lather.

Honestly, I have never smelled the Green Vetiver. I have the Fresh Vetiver Aftershave and love that stuff. Nice Shaves!

20191109_104728.jpg

Dr. Jon's Conquest excellent Strawberry Men's Cologne type scent and one of my favroites from the Cold War series, although all 3 are decent.

Performance of the Dr. Jons Vol.2 formula is very good and would imagine the new Vol.3 would be even better (or should be anyways lol). The 2oz puck is perfect size and love to see artisans offer smaller sized pucks as most of us will never see the bottom of a full tub. The shave went well and got no burning from the A/S whatsoever.

20191109_105304.jpg

20191110_200518.jpg

Mike's Natural Pine & Cedarwood- Old School artisan that has kept things simple for years with excellent results. A soap base that has stood the test of time and can compete with many of todays best artisans.

Scent is Pine with perhaps some Cedarwood background for support but mostly Pine to my nose. Scent strength is medium and smells great.

Shave went well and razor was so slick i dropped it a few times. Couldnt ask for bwtter results!

20191111_095521.jpg

Country Club For Men Dark Forest- top tier soap base with amazing protection. Scent is not as "Dark" as one would think and to my nose is a rather clean woodsy/aquatic scent that is plesent and well done.

The shave was as good as it gets and the Shaken A/S was icing on the amazing cake!

20191111_100044.jpg

20191112_152753.jpg

Razorock Moroccan Secret- Got this soap a while back from a trade several years ago. Its hard to believe RR was able to fit 5oz of soap into these tiny UFO tubs, they fit in the palm of your hand and could be a bit difficult to load if using a bigger brush.

Moroccan Secret has a citrusy scent that smells great IMO.

Performance is one of my favorite RR soap bases, although still not top tier/Elite this is a workmans soap that can provide a decent shave at a cheaper price than most, and for this reason RR is usually a soap that we try early on then discard for newer artisans.

The shave went well but did get a few weepers but nothing too bad. Finished off with GG Desert Heat balm which paired well with the Moroccan Secret.

Hope yall had a swell shave!
20191112_153258.jpg

20191113_202932.jpg

Gingers Garden Maharani- excellent Indian incense vibe scent that smells amazing and VERY unique.

This is the Tallow soap base and while it lathers well the protection could use some slight tweaks IMO. Gingers Garden has one of the largest scent selections available (along with Van Yulay) plus they offer several soap bases and a wide variety of other bath products. Finished off with matching A/S which is more of a aloe vera/glycerin and almost a Oil consistancy. Some people complain about the consostancy beimg tacky feeling from this A/S but if used in smaller amounts it is just fine. The scent lasts a Long time as do all Gingers Garden A/S's i have tried.

Hope yall had a great shave!
20191113_203412.jpg

20191115_173314.jpg

Noble Otter Jungle Warrior- was lucky enough to pick up this LE soap from No & APR.

Scent of Jungle Warrior is a complex accord that to my nose smells like petitgrain, baby powder, spicy notes, and some florals. Very well done scent that is about medium strength and not strong by any means.

Performance is very good on the Noble Otter soap base so no issues there. Whipped up a decent lather that has a "light' 'post shave feel' that is not greesy. This was the 1st time with Sharp Blades and they surpassed all the negative reviews and are quite decent, Sharp and smooth and unless longevity becomes an issue they seem to be good blades.

20191115_173729.jpg

20191116_100357.jpg

B&M Lyssa- this is a uniqie scent that reminds me of LGC but wothout the fruity notes, Lyssa is more spicy/floral Chypre but both are in the same family but Lyssa is a much better accord IMO.

Performamce was quite good. This newest B&M soap base is the 1st one i would consider top tier. B&M can be jot or moss with me so was glad that this one worked out well. Whipped up a thick thirsty lather. The shave was as good as it gets and honestly couldnt remember such a close shave.
20191116_100859.jpg

20191117_113452.jpg

Wet The Face Christmas Time- one of my all time favorite soaps out of the hundreds i jave tried.

Scent is a STRONG Pine/Basalm/Fir that smells like a nice festive candle. Very well done amazing scent!

Performance is top tier plus this is a simple ingredient soap which goes to show that sometimes all the extra butters/fats can be unnecessary to get a great shave. Man what a decent shave this was! The cold water paired well with this cold Pone scent. Finished off with Taiga A/S to keep with the Pine theme.

Hope everyone had a swell shave!
20191117_114018.jpg

I enjoy your lather reviews, and can only wonder at how many soaps you must have. Thanks for keeping this journal, despite the damage it will likely do to my wallet.

@(#*@ !@)#! %#(*()@ AGAIN!! That's right, I see a soap in this thread I decide I'll make a un-thought out purchase of and it's not available. Curse you @Shavewizard420!!!
I enjoy your lather reviews, and can only wonder at how many soaps you must have. Thanks for keeping this journal, despite the damage it will likely do to my wallet.
Ditto to both of you. Lol.

Back