The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

20190915_100142.jpg

Van Yulay Achillies!

Has a Tobacco spicy scent that is made with real Bourbon and Tobacco Tea.

Have had issues with some Van Yulay soaps in the past so was hoping this one would not clog up my brushes or leave residue behind. Was hard to tell as the lather was weird and very watery causing the shave to suffer as a result.

20190916_190531(0).jpg

Wet The Face Autumn for todays soap of choice.

Love the scent of this one, it is a spicy apple cinnamon scent but is very well done and different from most other scents of this type.

Performance is excellent making this one of the "Underrated" artisans that rarely gets mentioned on the fourms. Whipped up a thick lather that provided plenty of protection. Managed a DFS with no irritation. Finished off with stirling Haverford which paired well.
20190916_191051.jpg

RECENT SHAVES
20190918_081647.jpg

B&M Hallows for this shave. Really like the unique scent of this soap, it almost has a chocolate oakmoss vibe which sounds weird and while not for everyone, it is right in my wheelhouse.

Performance of B&M soaps are very hit or miss in my experience. The shave was just OK and nothing to write home about.

Hope yall had a swell shave!
20190918_153248.jpg

20190919_121058.jpg

This little ugly duckling is Vintage Williams Tonsorial scented with real Cavendish Pipe Tobacco and a heavy dose of Menthol Crystals. Cooked this up a while back thanks to the creative ingeunity of a fellow member of several fourms (Primo) and give him full credit for coming up with a way to get a true Tobacco scented soap.

Performance is excellent and noghr and day difference from the modern version. Whips up a thivk lather with no issues. The shave was clean and refreshing. Finished off with some Emulsion just in case which was icing on the cake.
20190919_121627.jpg

20190920_175225.jpg

Mama Bears British Leather was the start of a Glycerin soap kick. The translucent appearance of these kind of soaps are cool.

Performance is much better than most people give them credit for. Some people seem to hate on Glycerin based soaps and has become a popular theme in recent years, back in the day people couldnt get enough Mama Bears as there were only a handful of artisan soaps to choose from. The puck whipped up a thick lather and managed no irritation and a near BBS shave which was a surprise for sure. Paired well with English Leather.
20190920_175748.jpg

20190921_142501.jpg

Lisas Natural Sandalwood Patchouli was soap of chioce for this shave.

Nice strong scent and a blend of the 2 notes that work in perfect harmony. This was my 1st Lisa's soap and it was good enough to bring me back for more.

Performance is very good especially considering the price, this is the older formula but is still loaded with butters oils and skin food.

20190921_143147.jpg

20190922_102800.jpg

Viking Ironside was the soap choice and considering we were going to the Renessance Festival i figured it was the most fitting soap.

Viking is a artisan that whem considering value is right up there with Stirling and Lisa's. Soap comes in a 5oz tub with good quality label (similar to T&S) for $11.50 and is loaded with skin food.

Performance is decent although not quite Elite, certainly worth checking out and doubt anyone would be dissapointed perfiemance wise. Finished off with GG Desert Heat.
20190922_103153.jpg

20190923_122834.jpg

9-23 is my birthday so figured i would use one of my favorite scents of all time, Shaken!

Amazing scent that somehow managed to capture the scent of Money blended with a spicy Sandalwood. Super complex and a absolute masterpiece IMO!

Storybook Soapworks is a highly underrated artisan and have to say they have a top tier soap base. It can hold a TON of water without breaking down, even tried to drown it on 2nd pass and with a little work it still bounced back. Had a amazing shave and hope you did as well!
20190923_123329.jpg

20190925_203407.jpg

Keeping up with my recent Glycerin Based Soap choices, figured Love My Skin deserved some time. They are a Ebay soap maker that sells 1.5 oz samples for a decent price. Ended up mixing Blue Man and Green Tweed together to create this unusual concoxion.

The soap lathered well but the shave was not that great, had some nicks and irritation which the Myrsol helped a little bit.

Hope everyone is in good health and getting the best shaves!
20190925_203900.jpg

Happy belated birthday, hombre. I've seen Viking here and there, but I haven't seen anybody explicitly praise the soap. I'll have to check them out when I reverse my buying hiatus.

Happy belated birthday, hombre. I've seen Viking here and there, but I haven't seen anybody explicitly praise the soap. I'll have to check them out when I reverse my buying hiatus.

Thanks Ben i apprecite it!

Yeah having too many soaps can have its disadvantages, such as making a choice hahaha but varitey is the spice of life.

Happy birthday SW!

Is that Hallows an older version? I don’t recognize that graphic.

Thanks brother!

This HALLOWS came out a few years back, after the cartoon skull which i think is a much cooler graffic. There were a few guys that did not buy Hallows specifically due to this graffic. The label is suppost to be a X-Ray of a person that had a nail thru the head :censored:😵!

Back