The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

Nice catch up posts.
Wow! That's a lot of catching up! Some really nice shaves there. That Black Fern sounds amazing!
I really need to try Mer Shaving.
You're inspiration to keep trying for better lathers. Mine are just meh compared to yours. Nice shaves!
His lathers are works of art lol

Thanks guys! :)

Dave from MER Shaving is a great guy that makes a decent soap base, the cool thing with MER is that you can get ANY scent Mentholated plus you can adjust the scent strength to your liking which is a cool option that i have yet to see with any other artisan.

20190619_111700.jpg

Ballenclaugh Honey Tobacco for this shave. LOVE Ballenclaugh soaps their base is excellent and the scents are one of a kind, very complex and just different from anything else and would put them up there with B&M in that reguard.

Performance is excellent and among my favorite soap bases. Lathers quick and can take a boat load of water to adjust to your preference. Shave went well and finished off with no issues.

Scent of Honey Tobacco is not your typical Tobacco scent. There is some sweetness from the Honey but is not gourmond or overly sweet. This scent reminds me a bit of GD Wonderland and almost has a cleaned out Barn vibe to it, very unique to say the least.

Hope everyone had a wonderful shave!
20190620_195634.jpg

20190620_195637.jpg

P.S. did not sculpt the lather this time, just a quick swirl in the copper bowl!

20190620_200623.jpg

KMF Peacefull Patchouli is a cream i havent used in a long time so figured what the heck.

The ingredients are very nice for a locally found product from the grocery store. A few pumps is enough to whip up a ton of lather. This shave was a bit rough so i switched to a different razor which made things more tollerable, the blade was bad which im sure was the cause of the terrible irritation that occured.

Scent of Peaceful Parchouli is obviously Patchouli and is light but not overly earthy, a scent that is non offensive as Patchouli can be sometimes.

Hope everyone had a swell shave!

20190624_082612.jpg

Dr. Jon's Cold Fall Morning for this shave.

To my nose this scent is some kind of Pine with some sweetness from the Maple Syrup and a bit of Coffee background. Scent strength is about mid (5-10) and could be a bit stronger IMO as this is a good scent.

Performance is quite good and no issues making a decent lather. Dr. Jon's has recently released a new Vol.3 formula and have been curious to see how it compairs to the other formulas. This one is Vol.2 which is a big improvment from the original soap base, contains more butters and extracts which lead to a better post shave. Shave went well and finished off with Stirling Haverford which i have been using a lot latley thruought the day, smells great and moisturizing as well.

Hope y'all had a keen shave gents!

20190625_135500.jpg

CBL TabacVeg for yesterdays shave, had to use this one again as the scent is so unique and intriguing.

Accidently started out with way too much water so decided against a lather shot, have been a bit lazy latley with the lather shots and i apologize will start including them again as now we are back home from Vacation so things will go back to normal....hopefully lol.

The shave went well despite the bubbly lather. The CBL soap base is quite good at protecting despite my rough lather which really says a lot about the quality ingredients. Finished off with Big Easy Roof Of The World as it paired great with TabacVeg.

Hope everyone had a great shave!

20190626_163421.jpg

Wet The Face Christmas Time for todays shave. This is one of my all time favorite soaps, got this from a trade a while back as i had never heard of this artisan and was blown away by the fact that this soap pretty much never gets mentioned on the fourms.

Performance is usually excellent on this soap base but was in a bit of a hurry and ended up with weepers and some mean irritation which ended with throwing away the blade immidently after this shave.

Scent of Christmas Time is a strong Pine/Basalm/Fir that is one of the best woodsy scents i have come across, you can almost feel a slight cooling as well. Pairs beautifully with B&M Taigia A/S which is loaded with skin food and its a shame they discontinued the Latha line of products:(

Hope y'all had a wonderfull shave ;)

View attachment 5294

Wet The Face Christmas Time for todays shave. This is one of my all time favorite soaps, got this from a trade a while back as i had never heard of this artisan and was blown away by the fact that this soap pretty much never gets mentioned on the fourms.

Performance is usually excellent on this soap base but was in a bit of a hurry and ended up with weepers and some mean irritation which ended with throwing away the blade immidently after this shave.

Scent of Christmas Time is a strong Pine/Basalm/Fir that is one of the best woodsy scents i have come across, you can almost feel a slight cooling as well. Pairs beautifully with B&M Taigia A/S which is loaded with skin food and its a shame they discontinued the Latha line of products:(

Hope y'all had a wonderfull shave ;)
Yup, yup, I have to get that too. I adore Taiga, so anything like it is a must have.

20190627_163352.jpg

Local Gent Fields & Streams set. Their products are top notch and its a shame they are no longer in business. The soap has a fairly hard consistancy perhaps a bit softer than Soap Commander, so it takes dome time to load but is well worth the effort.

Scent of Fields & Streams is a mix of Coffee & Sage, this may sound like a weird combination but they work together to create a very unique scent profile.

Had a great drama free shave. The matching balm comes in a 4oz blue glass bottle with a pump and is one of the better presentations as far as Balms are concerned.
20190627_163850.jpg
20190627_163834.jpg

I checked and it's not available right now, which makes sense with your seasonal theory.

Thats too bad but im sure Donald will be making more as it seemed to be a good seller as it sold out. Plus he is now making his own soaps and has a different formula from the tub i have, the only new one i have tried is Zu Zu's Petals and is a much softer consistancy but lathered well and smells amazing!

20190628_140123.jpg

Square One Soapworks Blue Bayou for this shave. This soap base is still being produced by Square One but this particular one was under the Gustafsons name.

Scent of Blue Bayou is Lavender and Cedarwood, simple fresh scent and although i'm not a big Lavender fan this one is well blended and quite refreshing.

Soap lathers well with no visable bubbles similar to I Coloniali or Shannon's as they all produce a cream style lather without bubbles. was dissapointed by the previous Gustafsons formula but this stuff is night and day difference. This soap does not require a ton of water to get a good lather and provides plenty of slickness and leaves skin feeling hydrated and moisturized. Had a swell shave and finished off with Dragon Noir which is a light slightly floral scent that dissapears quickly.

20190628_140155.jpg
20190628_140912.jpg

20190629_114603.jpg

Storybook Soapworks Shaken for my Anniversary shave (also my Gf's Birthday so its easy to remember both ;) lol].

Shaken is one of my all time favorite scents and easily a top 3 choice. Its not for everyone but is different and complex, spicy Sandalwood and also has a "Money" note which may be what makes it so different from any other scent. Have been thinking about getting the EDT but i can be a cheap bastard from time to time lol.

Performance of Storybook Soapworks is excellent bordering on Elite. This soap base is highly underrated which may be due to the fact that they do not have a million scents to choose from, but is certainly worth trying IMO. Lather likes a ton of water and shows no sign of breaking down. Plenty of protection and slickness and everything one would want in a top notch soap. Shave was perfect with no irritation or weepers just wonderful results. Finished off with matching A/S which is witch hazel based and has good skin food.

Hope y'all had a similar experience!
20190629_115157.jpg
20190629_115159.jpg

20190630_191337.jpg

Soap Smooth Frankincense & Myrrh set was the choice for this shave. Soap Smooth is yet another artisan that has recently gone out of business which is too bad as they had some unique products.

This version of F&M is the best one i have come across and have tried quite a few different interpretations. It is woodsy with a incense vibe, scent strength is mid-strong and remains that way during the shave.

This is their Tallow soap base that contains Kyvass Water which is interesting and something i had to look up as have never heard of it before lol. Soap is about medium consistancy and is hard enough to load directly from the tub.

Shave went well but did get a little irritation on neckline. This Treet Classic Carbon blade worked much better than anticipated, quite smooth for a carbon. Finished off with matching aftershave which is POTENT and has excellent longevity.

20190630_191934.jpg
20190630_191948.jpg
20190630_191959.jpg

CRAZY LATHER FROM THIS SOAP!

20190701_203026.jpg

Palmolive Classic for todays shave. Grated and pressed into a container, not the best vessel for loading but it works.

Scent is soapy and is something a bit similar to Speick as they both have a weird musky note. One of the better smelling shave sticks IMO.

Performance is decent but nothing mind blowing. Soap lathers quick and provides everything necessary for a good shave. The shave itself went well and managed to finish off with no weepers or irritation. Ended the shave with SC Fortitude balm which has a bubblegum type scent similar to Mickey Lee Souq.

Hope y'all had a swell shave!
20190701_203612.jpg

Back