The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

RECENT SHAVES
20190714_152112.jpg

La Savon Du Vulcan Rosmary Mint for thid shave. Am WAY behind on posting my shaves and need a quick catch up. This is a very hard soap almost feels like a triple milled and only need a small bit to make a ton of lather.

The scent is mostly mint with a tpuch of rosmary in background. Not bad and on the natural side.

Soap lathers well and did not require a lot of water to get the right consistancy. Shave went well but nothing to write home about.
20190714_152630.jpg

20190715_190431.jpg

TTFFC Angels Share for this shave. Soap has the consistancy of peanut butter or taffy and is easily moldable.

Scent is hard to describe but smells similar to the "Blue Man" scent that some soap makers use, it has bourbon in it and is a decent scent.

Performance is not bad and soap makes a decent lather with no issues. Did have a touch of burning from this scent but is more of a slight heat that gets stronger as the shave goes on but nothing too bad.

20190715_190846.jpg

20190717_150931.jpg

A& E Choco Cubano man does this stuff smell nice, chocolate forward with a touch of tobacco and other notes.

Performance is excellent but did have some trouble getting a stable lather with this particular shave. Not sure what went wrong but could have been from residual soap in brush from the last shave perhaps. Despite the lather stability issues the shave still went fairly well and skin felt good afterwards.

20190718_153549.jpg

PDP#63 man is this one of my favorite scents of all time, a masculine cologne scent that has notes of coffee and sandalwood among others. Very complex.

Performance is just OK IMO it makes a lather but is far from elite or able to compete with other top tier artisans. Shave was just OK and ended up changing the blade right afterwards. Finished off with Country Club Southern Oud.

20190719_163342.jpg

CB Ruds Suds for yesterdays shave. Scent is a mix of coffee and vetiver, the soap is geavier on the coffee and the aftershave has more strong grassy vetiver notes.

soap makes a slick lather, perhaps too slick as i was dropping both razor and brush several times. Certainly no lack of slickness with this soap IMO. The shave went well but the matching a/s did burn quite a bit on neck. Pretty happy with the results of this shave.
20190719_170817.jpg
20190719_170819.jpg

Wow! A lot of updates here! You hit on some stuff I have and some stuff I don't. You even shaved with a soap I have but haven't used yet (the PdP). I have a full tub of the A&E Choco Cubano and LOVE that soap and the scent! Though my wife says I smell like Easter Candy after I shave with it. Oddly enough...and I don't know where it came from...but I have the aftershave for that TTFFC Angel's Envy. I think the Aftershave is VERY strong smelling! Great shaves all around!

Nice shaves SW! I always get a chuckle every time someone mentions Ruds; I’ve only seen one of his videos, but he was just so dead serious! Lol. I hear he’s a great guy though.

Wow! A lot of updates here! You hit on some stuff I have and some stuff I don't. You even shaved with a soap I have but haven't used yet (the PdP). I have a full tub of the A&E Choco Cubano and LOVE that soap and the scent! Though my wife says I smell like Easter Candy after I shave with it. Oddly enough...and I don't know where it came from...but I have the aftershave for that TTFFC Angel's Envy. I think the Aftershave is VERY strong smelling! Great shaves all around!

Thanks Don! The performance of PDP is nothing to write home about IMO but the scent of 63 is excellent and is a bit similar to A&E Revolution, a very well made scent for sure.

20190721_122625.jpg

Wholly update Batman! I have been WAY behind on posting shaves and have a whole lot of catching up to do.

This shave was with WTF Zu Zu's Petals and is a fresh green Rose scent. Soap itself is almost a cream consistancy and is much softer than previous WTF soap bases. Performance is good and is a artisan worth checking out IMO.
20190721_123040.jpg

20190722_115720.jpg

Kshaveworks Black Orchid smells nice and a bit sinilar to CB Midnight Dreary. For some reason i find this soap base lacking a bit despite having some interesting scents to choose from. Project Leather was a good pairing for this type of sweet scent.
20190722_120217.jpg

20190723_163902.jpg

PAA Sangre De Drago smells amazing and is a mix of Oud and Sandalwood. Performance of the PAA base is OK at best and find the CK soap base better IMO but the scent makes it worth wile.
20190723_164409.jpg

20190730_210900.jpg

Tabac the old classic for this shave. Love it or hate it this is a classic soap that has been in production for a long time and has a soapy purfume scent. Paired well with AV Sport.

20190730_211330.jpg

20190731_071406.jpg

Vreto Cedar Sandalwood for this shave. Had some lather issues latley which may be due to the cold water shaves but is seems the oils & butters in these soaps have been causing lathering issues with many of my brushes despite multiple cleanings. This soap is very good and one that is lesser known artisan from Serbia and am proud to have a chance to try this great soap base. Scent is heavier on the cedar and is fairly strong.

20190801_120254.jpg

Ballenclaugh Woodsman excellent Pine Tar scent with a touch of citrus to round things out. Am a huge Ballenclaugh fan both the soap base and interesting scents make this artisan stand out in the crowd. Despite them not being mainstream they do have some solid fans out there and would HIGHLY recommend checking them out if you like scents that are different that most others.
20190801_120811.jpg

20190803_194011.jpg

B&M Behold The Whats Is for this shave. This is a hard one to describe its sweet and smells a bit like a cookie but way more complex that that, nothing like you would expect from scent notes. The Florida Water went well with the scent.

20190808_164152.jpg

DG YRP for this shave. My GF really does not like the scent of this A/S as it is a bit heavy on the floral. Prefer this scent as a soap rather than a A/S. Shave went well and provided plenty of protection.

Back