The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

SHAVE OF THE DAY
20190702_175906.jpg

Mama Bears British Leather was todays soap of choice. Mama Bears is aparently under new ownership and now being produced right here in Michigan, this is good news as MB has had a few rumors of closing down over the years. This was one of the first translucent soaps i tried (besides Col Conk) when first starting this hobby and is a soap base that has been around a long while.

Being a glycerin soap the scents can be fairly strong and plenty of options to choose from. British Leather is a light leather scent but rather than saddle or rawhide, it is more of a clean "British" kind of Leather (if that makes scents) sort of on the sweet and clean side as far as Leather is concerned.

Despite there being people that frown at the thought of a glycerin soap the Performance is decent. I think sometimes people regurgatate the same opinions of others which sway their own opinions and i have been guilty of this as well in the past. While soaps can be very much YMMV this stuff lathers quick and provided a pretty darn good shave. The lather does start out with a cottage cheese consistancy but gets right with the addition of enough water. Managed a DFS and was quite happy with the results. Finished off with Reef Point Aviator Balm to keep with the Leather theme.

Hope everyone had a swell shave!
20190702_180623.jpg

20190702_180629.jpg

SHAVE OF THE DAY
20190703_183852.jpg

Grandstaff Soap Co Amyris for todays soap of choice. This is another discontinued artisan (sorry Dave) that has closed down and had a short come back but unfornuately was not able to stay afloat, hopefully Travis Grandstaff will makr another come back in the future but only time will tell.

scent of this soap is complex and hard to describe. It reminds me a bit of B&M 42, floral scent with Helitrope or perhaps hyncinthe (however its spelled) with woodsy notes as well. Certainly unlike most scents on the market, this one is both spicy, floral, and a bit woodsy.

performance is quite good. Soap has a somewhat firm consistancy similar to Tiki or Mickey Lee and comes in a cool 8oz tin like the old HTGAM soaps. Scooped a bit and lathered in the bowl witb no problems, did load a bit heavy to get the best possible results. Lather likes a good amount of water and provided a decent shave was even able to chase the baby a bit without much irritation. Forgot to throw on the aftershave after cleaning up and skin felt great but did splash on some Lucky Tiger with added menthol crystals which was soothing and cooling.

hope everyone had a wonderful shave!
20190703_185654.jpg
20190703_185714.jpg
20190703_185737.jpg

SHAVE OF THE DAY
20190704_133549.jpg

CRSW Madman's Bouquet GLIDE for todays soap of choice. This is a terrific soap base that some consider "Elite" and for understandable reasons.

Scent of Madman's Bouquet is Rose, Ylang Ylang, and Clary Sage. Not as floral as one would think with a name like Madman's Bouquet but more of a slightly decayed unique scent that almost has a baby powder vibe to my nose. Still not sure if i like this particular scent but can still apreciate what CRSW was thinking.

Performance is excellent and soap whips up a thick lather that can handle a ton of water. Provided a near perfect shave with no issues whatsoever. Really like this soap base although its consistancy is rather soft like a hard cream or a bit softer than DG.

Hope everyone had a safe 4th of July!
20190704_134100.jpg
20190704_134115.jpg

Thanks for the warning with yesterday’s shave before I went to look it up!

Lol anytime Dave! Grandstaff is one of those soaps that you dont see much these days and is much harder to find a tub compaired to many other discontinued artisans. Fortuneately the large 8oz tins last FOREVER so there is plenty of soap to share.

SHAVE OF THE DAY
20190705_113322.jpg

stone Cottage Rose Cream for todays lather. Have tried a sample of their Lavender a while back that was sent from another fourm member but have limited experience with this artisan. They are currently having some great sales so figured i would pick up a few things, despite the sale i still went ahead and odrered the sampler pack anyways lol.

scent of Rose is of course Rose and is very sweet. All of their scents seem to be a bit on the light side and this was one of the strongest from the 5 samples.

performance was quite good. Even though i am not a fan of creams this stuff lathered well with no probem. The shave went well although was not the closest shave ever. Finished off with Rose Water to keep woth the Rose theme.

hope everyone had a great shave!

20190705_113908.jpg
20190705_113846.jpg

Nice couple of shaves! A lot of people really like the performance of @Stone Cottage Shaving soaps. what other soaps/creams did you get in their sampler?

Thanks Don! The other ones i got are: Rose, Red Velvet, Moroccan Mystery, Champaka, and Fig& Pear.

They all smell nice but the Rose and Champaka are the strongest and my favorites of the sampler pack. Red Velvet is a spicy scent and Fig&Pear is a light sweet scent but wish it was heavier on the Fig as it is a scent that you dont see often in shave soaps.

SHAVE OF THE DAY 7-7-19
20190706_115416.jpg

Alluvian Norwigian Spear for todays shave. Allivian is a soap you dont see much in the SOTD theads which may be due to the cost ($36 new) but was lucky enough to find this tin on the BST a while back and it is perhaps goimg to make its way back to the BST so someone else can give it a try.

the scent is Spearmint with Irish Moss. Very nice scent and if you like Spearmint this is right up your alley.

perfoemance is not bad but not what one would expect from a soap of this price which is up there with Seabum, ABC, MDC, and Nuavia as far as cost is concerned. The soap lathers quickly due to the coconut oil & steric content, despite the added butters and oils the slickness is not the best but was good enough to provide a decent drama free shave. Finished off with Gingers Garden Desert Heat which has a fruity fresh clean scent that smells nice and is soothing on the skin, olus comes in a huge 6oz bottle that almost looks like a shampoo bottle. Very good stuff!

hope everyone had a swell shave!
20190706_120046.jpg
20190706_120047.jpg

Spearmint and Irish Moss does sound nice. But it's too bad that the performance is lacking compared to the price. But another soap that I did not know about!

Spearmint and Irish Moss does sound nice. But it's too bad that the performance is lacking compared to the price. But another soap that I did not know about!

The scent is decent but for how many butters and oils in the formula it perrorms about average IMO. Glad to be able to bring some new soaps to your attention Don! Especially since some of the under dogs perform better than many popular artisans .

7-7-19

20190707_143856.jpg

Queen Charolette Soaps Rose Otto for this shave. Absolutely LOVE QCS soaps and the scent of Rose Otto is one of the best Rose scents (along with CBL BRO, YRG, and Ellegant Rose) i have come across.

Performance is top notch in every way. Soap lathers quick and can handle a boat load of water without breaking down. Shave was as close to perfect as could be and am super stoked by the results. Finished off with matching balm which helped keep that awesome Rose scent going a bit longer and is nice and soothing as well.

Hope everyone had a wonderful shave!
20190707_144624.jpg

20190707_144634.jpg

20190708_173703.jpg

Lisa's Pumpkin Oud for yesterdays shave. Really like this newer formula Lisa has come up with. It is a much firmer soap than the previous "premium" base which had the consistancy of whipped yogurt.

Scent of Pumpkin Oud is spicy Pumpkin and smells decent. The Oud adds some depth but is not something i can pick up with this scent profile.

Performance is very good, easy to lather and the 'post shave' is light and does not leave a greesy feeling on the skin and washes clean.

Hope everyone had a great shave!
20190708_174032.jpg

SHAVE OF THE DAY
20190709_155734.jpg

Musgo Real Classic for todays shave this afternoon. MR has gone thru a reformulation a couple years ago and is night and day difference. From the looks of things they have raised the price of this triple milled soap as they used to be $12 a puck making it a good deal for a soap of this kind and quality.

scent is typical Musgo Real Classic, Oakmoss and perhaps some Lavender. It is a musky Classic kind of scent but if differs from product to product, for example the pre shave soap does not smell exactly like the Cream and many have said the Shave Soap is a bit heavier on the Lavender but they are all close enough IMO to compliment eachother.

performance is quite good and one of my favorite Triple Milled soaps. These kind of soaps usually require a bit more loading time and since i use synthetic brushes i load heavy. Soap starts off a bit foamy but transforms to a creamy consistancy once enough water has been invorporated into the mix. Shave went well and finished off with the matching Balm which comes in a classy glass bottle.

hope everyone had a swell shave!
20190709_160314.jpg
20190709_160310.jpg

HAD A BIT OF TROUBLE DOING A BALANCING ACT WITH THIS LATHER!

Back