The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

20190530_084058.jpg

Country Club Dark Forest in the Goat Milk & Yougart formula that is FANTASTIC! Absolutely love this soap base and pretty much any soap from CC is top notch IMO.

Scent of Dark Forest is not as dark as one would imagine, is a rather fresh and clean woodsy scent that would make a great Men's cologne.

This shave was perfect in every way. No irritation and 100% BBS, face felt smooth and moisturized afterwards and couldnt be happier about the results. Hope everyone had a similar experience!
20190530_084831.jpg

5-28
20190528_151455.jpg

Soap Commander Endurance for this shave. Scent is similar to Old Spice but a bit more muted and toned down. Kind of have a love-hate relationship with this particular scent, my uncle used to wear OS daily for practically his whole life so while i like it, it does make me a bit sad that he is no longer with us as he died from lung cancer several years ago. It is funny how we attach memories to certain scents and how they can have such an impact on us mentally.

The shave was just OK and was not as close as others. The balm does feel great on the skin due to the Menthol content and helped soothe things down a bit. Overall not a bad shave but nothing to right home about.

Hope everyone had a swell shave!
20190528_151918.jpg

5-27
20190527_133150.jpg

Going backwards on these shaves as i got a bit behind with posting on the fourms. Went with Saint Charles Shave Smoke & Beads for this shave and was the first time using their soap. Have had some trouble with my brushes not wanting to lather properly so this made it difficult to fairly judge this soap base. Gave them a good soak in hot water and dish soap afterwards that really seemed to help a lot, must have accumulated some build up from these high butter soaps.

The scent is Patchouli but is much cleaner and not as earthy as most patchouli scents, plus it is a bit on the light side when it comes to strength IMO. Still not a bad scent but just not as heavy or earthy as i imagined from the description. Finished up with some Ozark Mountain Balm which helped out big time.
20190527_134105.jpg

Some nice shaves...and some...well...not so nice shaves. Some of those scents sound pretty awesome though!

Ok knock it off! Every time you post that Country Club for Men soap, I go googling it because I want some.

20190602_141543.jpg

Prep: Pre Shave Soap Mix
Razor: Wilkinson Orange
Blade: Shiaco (2nd shave)
Brush: Yaqi 26mm synthetic
Soap: Shannon's Copabia Rose

Picked up this soap from Shannon herself at the Maggard Meet (thank you Shannon!) And this is a amazing soap both scent and performance wise.

Scent is of course Rose but a complex bright Floral that smells great and even surpassed my expectations. Was a bit concerned that this one may burn my skin but thankfully there was no issues whatsoever.

Performance is typical of Shannon's Soaps, very dense creamy shiny lather with minimal bubbles and holds a ton of water without breaking down. The shave was marvelous and this blade worked out much better than it did with the Wilkinson Classic but is still not the most comfortable blade on the market, but the Shannon's offered stellar protection and finished off with no irritation.

Hope everyone had a great shave and a safe week Cadre!
20190602_141924.jpg

Ok knock it off! Every time you post that Country Club for Men soap, I go googling it because I want some.

Highly recommend trying some of you get the chance. Used to be called The Beer Soap Company (or something like that) He was still making soap under the name Yakk Outfitters last time i checked, although not as many scent options as the Country Club line. He had several formulas over the years and cant go wrong with any of them IMO. If you would like to try some shoot me a PM and i can send you some samples, i actually just gave away a 2oz tin of Root Beer that (along with a bunch of other soaps/gear) went on the PIF table at the Maggard Meet. Someone snagged it up quick and hope they enjoy the soap base as much as i do:)

This one?

Great shave! I'm A HUGE fan of Santa's Pipe.

I thought i responded to you post but cant find it lol. Anyways, the scent in the Balm seems a whole lot stronger than the soap (for what its worth) which helps keep that spicy scent going a bit longer. This Siliski Balm is VERY thick and made with no water making it a excellent value.

I thought i responded to you post but cant find it lol. Anyways, the scent in the Balm seems a whole lot stronger than the soap (for what its worth) which helps keep that spicy scent going a bit longer. This Siliski Balm is VERY thick and made with no water making it a excellent value.
You totally did, lol. I might look into getting the balm when the season comes around. I fell in love with the scent immediately and have two sets, sans the balm, which I somehow didn't know existed.

You totally did, lol. I might look into getting the balm when the season comes around. I fell in love with the scent immediately and have two sets, sans the balm, which I somehow didn't know existed.

Its a new product so its understandable lol. He used to make a post shave oil but said he discontinued it, guess the balm took its place and if you like the scent you may want to check it out:)

20190605_162340.jpg

Siliski Soaps Questionable Origins for this shave. This was my 1st time with the newer formula and it is EVEN better than the last version. Would highly recommend Siliski Soaps for anyone looking for a top tier Vegan soap base, would put it right up there with Southern Witchcrafts and other top notch Vegan bases.

The scent of Quetionable Origins IMO was certainly qu3stionable at first lol, but once lathered turns into a beautiful Citrus that opens up and transforms compaired to scent from the tub. Really like this one once lathered.

Performance is excellent and lathers quick and without problems, can also handle a decent amount of water without breaking down. Had a marvelous shave and finished off with HEV Duc De Santal which has a clean masculine Sandalwood scent that would make a decent cologne. Hope yall had a swell shave!
20190605_163204.jpg

20190606_104721.jpg

Southern Witchcrafts Tres Matres for this shave. The scent of this one is a earthy mix that smells similar to Petrochoir blended with Lycronthropy or Wet Earth with some slightly floral notes, beautiful scent that would be perfect on a rainy day.

Performance is typical SW which is excellent. Would be hard to near impossible for someone to tell this is a Vegan base in a blind test, this stuff whips up a creamy lather that is as protective as could be. Southern Witchcrafts stands out from the crowd with their unique scents, edgy branding,affordable price, and top tier soap base. Big fan of this artisan and one to keep on the radar as they are so different from most others on the market.

Hope everone had a great shave!
20190606_105254.jpg
20190606_105307.jpg

20190608_090905.jpg

Oleo Soapworks No11 for yesterdays shave. They also have nice sized samples and the Canard base has great performance. Did not take a lather pic as i had a bit of trouble with stability which may be due to starting out with way too much water in the brush perhaps.

Scent is a bit hard to describe, it is clean masculine cologne that could perhaps be described as a sort of barbershop type of scent but not a typical one.

The shave was just OK which was due to the lather, could have been caused by the brush as i have had some issues with my brushes latley. Did not have any burning issues with this particular scent which is great as i have had trouble with several other Oleo scents in the past.

Almost forgot to mention the Stirling Ramblin Man! This stuff smells great, something along smiliar lines as Aventus as i detect a fruity note, but thats where the sinilarities end. Will have to use this one more to form any final conclusions but it did seem to fade faster than other Stirling offerings IMO.

Hope everyone had a great shave and a safe weekend!

Back