The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

Well dang...that’s a pretty solid shave update!
Man, I was way behind. Caught up now. Great stuff!
Just here to say yes Ballenclaugh is AWESOME and I really enjoy that base.
I was waaaaay behind Brad, but all caught up now. Great shaves! Still busting out brands I've never heard of!

Thanks guys! Getting caught up has been difficult latley as life can get in the way from time to time.

Love the Ballenclaugh Honey and Tobacco. Looks like they changed their labeling now for it.

Thats correct Dave, the most recent Ballenclaugh soaps shipped to WCS now have a new label. The Ballenclaugh labels did need a little work as the Festive Parlor label looks all pixelated but they are of good quality which is more important IMO.

4-23
20190423_212627.jpg

Have had this Pannacreama Vetiver in the queue for a while now and finally got around to using it. This one has a musty scent that smells like a old bookstore with a bit of a similar vibe to CF Sherlock but much more of a natural musty scent. Sounds gross but this is a really nice Vetiver that is different from most on the market. Lathered up quickly anf without issues. Provided plenty of protection and the shave went well. Finished off with Citrus Musk as the 2 scents paired well together.
20190423_213139.jpg

CHECK THIS ONE OUT DAVE, LATHER LOOKS LIKE A BLOOMING FLOWER!

4-24
20190424_085943.jpg

Wheat State Electric Lemon for this shave. This is a very decent soap base that is mid-firm consistancy and have found their scents to be quite strong and pronounced. I am usually not a big fan of Lemon but this one is more of a sweet Lemon than tart. Almost smells like a Lemon Pez or something. Lather is excellent and have had some wonderful shaves with this artisan and this is no exception.
20190424_090734.jpg

4-25
20190425_090316.jpg

First Canadian Maximo Gomez Cuba is one of the best scents from this artsan i have experience with. It is a citrusy green tobacco that is pretty unusual when it comes to tobacco scents. The soap itself is a softer consistancy that is almost like putty. Shave went well and could really tell when there was little to no burning from the Masters Bay Rum which usually burns like hellfire, especially since i added a ton of menthol crystals to the bottle.
20190425_091017.jpg20190425_091040.jpg

MANAGED TO TAKE THE LATHER SHOT JUST BEFORE THE LATHER FELL OFF THE BRUSH!

4-26
20190426_163118.jpg

Smitten Soapery Big Daddy which is a Oakmoss Sandalwood scent (similar to TSD, or Viking Tree Of Life) that is on the sweet side. Am always inpressed with the water tollerance of this soap, the performance is top notch as well making this another "Hidden Gem" IMO as they get little mention on the fourms for some reason. Smitten Soapery has since changed their name to Zingari Skincare but have yet to compaire the new soap base to this one but would imagine it to be of similar quality.
20190426_163722.jpg

4-27
20190427_103613.jpg

Have seen people busting out the T&S Dark since they recently re-released this offering with a slight tweak scent wise. To my nose this smells like a peppermint patty but with a little added complexity. Not a scent im crazy about but it is a nice change of pace. Performance of the older T&S formula is very good but does have subtle differences to the current formula. Managed a BBs shave with no complaints. Finished off with SW Autumn Ash which smells like burnt maple syrup, a scent my GF is not a fan of but i love so usually wear it when shes at work lol.20190427_105847.jpg

4-28
20190428_122341.jpg

A&E Which Ones Pink? Have been blown away by some of the scents from this bewer artisan, they are just so different from most of whats out there to choose from. This one is classified as a Oriental Woodsy fragrance, i do detect some powdery notes but it is so complex i cannot pick out individual notes other to say i like it! Paired great with Hi Karate which is also a Oriental Fragrance. Excellent preformance and a amazing shave!
20190428_123009.jpg

4-29
20190429_175653.jpg

SV Fence Aromatica for todays shave. Shave went well but was nothing to write home about. Scent is a nice clean aquatic that smells like a high end men's fragrance. Very nice lather with minimal effort and finished off with matching balm.

Hope everyone is in good health and getting the best shaves possible!
20190429_180156.jpg

An FYI.... Wheat State soaps are on hiatus. Not sure if they will be returning to soap making or not.

Thanks for the info brother! Hope Wheat State Soaps can make a comeback, their scents are interesting and they have a decent soap base at a reasonable price.

20190501_204748.jpg

Nanny Silly Bamboo Grape made its maiden voyage and it went well. Was not blown away perfo4mance wise but did notice that i accidnetly loaded light and not much soap got into the brush, but despite this fact the shave did go well. Scent is not as heavy on the Grape as expected but is a plesent fresh scent nonetheless.
20190501_210557.jpg

20190504_122227.jpg

OSP Sandalwood for this shave. The scent is different from most Sandalwoods and has a sort of Citranella vibe to it and is one of the strongest scents from OSP IMO.

Performance wise this is a teriffic soap base and a artisan that gets slept on my many people IMO due to complaints about OSP's scents, but this stuff whipped up a top notch protective lather that can hold a crazy amount of water without breaking down. Very impressed with the results from this shave. Finished off with Shaken which was icing on the cake and one of my favorite scents of all time.

Hope everyone had a swell shave!
20190504_122948.jpg

20190505_133703.jpg

Razorock Secret Moroccan for this shave. Discontinued soap from RR that has a citrusy scent that is somewhat complex. Performance wise this is among the best formulas RR has to offer IMO although it is far from perfect. Lathered just finr but was lacking a bit when it comes to protection as there were many weepers & nicks and some heavy burning from the L' Orange Noir.
20190505_134243.jpg

20190506_090132.jpg

Dr. Jon's Savanna Sunrise for yesterdays shave. Despite this soap having a Peach on the label, i detect a heavier Gardenia scent with a light Peach background, this is a fresh bright Spring scent that i really didnt care for at first but have grown to appreciate.

Performance of the Dr. Jon's Vol.2 is very good. Soap lathered with no issues and actually had a excellent shave with no issues. Was quite impressed with the way things went despite using a blade with some miles on it. Finished off with CK Olive Branch which shares some similarities with the soap scent, not much but close enough.

Hope evwryone had a great shave!
20190506_091020.jpg
20190506_091022.jpg

Back