The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

4-12
20190412_210714.jpg

Prep: Occams Crushed Lime Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
Blade: Pol-Silver
Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: Perfectly Natural- Hop 2 It Grapefruit IPA

Had a amazing BBS shave this evening with Perfectly Natural Hop 2 It. This is their older formula and it makes a stringy glue like Low Structure lather similar to B&M Reserve. This formula takes a bit more effort to lather than the current formula, but i still really like the performance of this soap. Perfectly Natural Soaps come in a 3oz puck for around $9, the puck is very firm and would consider their soaps a decent value.

Scent is a mix of Grapefruit and IPA beer. The Hops almost give it a industrial yet natural vibe if that makes any scents. Its a potent citrus that paired well with the RP Admiralty balm.

As mentioned, the performance of this soap is very good. It seems to like a wetter brush to start with, can handle water but not overly thirsty. The soap has a high Aloe Vera content and as a result it even soothed my hand that got burned last night....very soothing lol. Skin felt wonderful afterwards and the RP balm was icing on the cake IMO. Couldnt be happier with todays shave results.

Hope y'all had a similar experience!
20190412_211809.jpg

I was never too impressed with Soap Smooth but that lather looks awesome. Perhaps I need to revisit.

Their formulas are vastly different from eachother. I did not care for the formula from Cognac or the Tobacco scents plus they burned my skin. This War Blend is a different story.

I must say, you have a large range of scents you like.

Thanks Dave! This hobby has opened my perspective when it comes to scents. Florals are one category i couldnt stand but now have grown to Love a fresh Rose or occasional Lavender. Many scents can grow on you over time or at least can appreciate what the artisan is aiming for.

Well I am not sure how this happened, but I was WAY behind on your journal Brad! Caught up now and a lot of great thoughts and a lot of really good shaves. Still introducing me to some brands I haven't tried. Was interested to see you had some Big Easy Soap in the den! The guy only lives about an hour from me and I have talked to him a time or two. I think he ended up with a good job and had to stop making soap though. Either way...it's a decent enough soap!

4-12
20190413_143127.jpg
Prep: pre shave soap mix
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Clsssic
Blade: Pol- Silver
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Synthetic
Soap: QCS- Rose Otto

Amazing shave yesterday morning with QCS Rose Otto. Have been very happy with the performance of both the soap and balm and would love to have a chance to try other QCS products if the oppertunity arrises.

Scent of Rose Otto quickly became a favorite Rose scent (along with Elegant Rose, CBL BRO, and WTF Zu Zu's Petals) it has a bright floral Rose that is like a breath of fresh air. This scent pairs perfectly with the menthol from the pre shave as well.

Performance is excellent IMO. Soap whips up a thick lather with no issues. Threw a ton of water in the mix for the 2nd pass and despite trying to drown the lather it bounced back from anything which is a sign of a quality soap IMO. Residual slickness is top notch and touch ups were a breeze. Managed a BBS shave that was nice and refreshing. Finished off with matching balm which is loaded with skin food ingredients.

Hope everyone had a great shave!
20190413_143830.jpg

Well I am not sure how this happened, but I was WAY behind on your journal Brad! Caught up now and a lot of great thoughts and a lot of really good shaves. Still introducing me to some brands I haven't tried. Was interested to see you had some Big Easy Soap in the den! The guy only lives about an hour from me and I have talked to him a time or two. I think he ended up with a good job and had to stop making soap though. Either way...it's a decent enough soap!

Thanks brother!

Yeah i read a little bit of the drama about Big Easy Soaps on several of the fourms trying to get any info about this brand i could before i picked some up. No big deal as the performance is much more important IMO and it seems most ppl that tried it liked it. Will have to experiment a bit further but was not super impressed with the soap base, The scent is quite nice and really like the A/S and even used it this morning.

4-14
20190414_121713.jpg

Prep: pre shave soap mix
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
Blade: Pol-Silver
Brush: Razorock Plissoft
Soap: Meissner Tremonia- Black Beer #1 Paste

Have used several MT products in the past and was a bit unsure weather i like them or not so figured i would give them another shot. Glad i did. They are a artisan from Germany Their Paste comes in a heavy 6.8fl oz. glass jar with a sturdy lid. The soap has some interesting ingredients such as Red Clay and babasu oil plus some organic ingredients.

Ingredients are: Water, Steric Acid, coconut Oil, beer, glycerin, potassium hydroxide, babassu oil, rosemary oil, sodium hydroxide, talc, red clay, macadamia nut oil, lemongrass oil, citric acid, jojoba oil, sea salt, citral, citronellol, engenol, geraniol, limonene, lonalool.

The scent of Black Beer #1 contains Rosemary, Lemongrass and other notes. To my nose i do pick up the herbal Lemongrass vibe but it is quite complex. Even though im not a huge lemongrass fan this was one of the better MT scents IMO (along with Strong & Scottish & Dark Limes) and is somewhat unique in the Wet Shaving world.

My experience with MT soaps & pastes have been a bit unusual. It starts off a bit bubbly and airy which is something i dont really care for personally, plus has a red tint to start with although this lather was not bad at all. Takes some time to get the consistancy right but the lather did not break down and did provide decent protection. Not the closest shave in history but no complaints. Finished off with Big Easy Roof Of The World which smells great IMO and even changes a bit over time.

Hope everyone had a swell shave and a safe weekend!
20190414_122449.jpg

20190415_120903.jpg

Oh man am i ever behind on posting here! Sorry for the short posts but i have to catch up lol.

The Ruby's Green has a unique scent that smells like a fresh tomato Garden it is green and earthy and pretty much 1 of a kind i this hobby. The Mickey Lee formula is not bad and made a decent lather.
20190415_121656.jpg

20190417_085257.jpg

Everybody needs a little Ballenclaugh in their Den IMO. This stuff has become one of my favorite soap bases. Lather can hold a ton of water and is as protective as can be. Scent of Honey Tobacco is a complex scent for something that sounds so simple, it almost has a barnyard vibe to it in a good way and is slightly sweet but not too sweet. Very good stuff indeed!
20190417_102059.jpg

20190418_121734.jpg

Excellent combo with Uncle Jon's Holly Berry and SC Resolution as both paired prefectly together. The Holly Berry made a decent lather but the shave itself was just OK, ended up with some irritation and redness which may have been due to me being in a hurry to finish up as someone was ringing the doorbell and didnt want to answer with a face full of lather hahahaha. The SC balm did soothe things down a bit.
20190418_122147.jpg

20190419_152850.jpg

Love the scent of Wild West Rose Dunn. One of the best WW scents IMO Russell did a amazing job with this one. The Rose is not floral or heavy and mixes with the coconut and amber to create more of a blended scent. Scent strength is medium which i think works best with this type of scent to make it less overwhelming than if it were a powerhouse. Finished off with Stirling Gentlemen which is a great tobacco men's cologne fragrance.
20190419_153501.jpg

20190420_123726.jpg

This is one you don't see everyday, B&M Caldonia Rose in their discontinued Vegan soap base. Each time i use this i think "i can name 10 other Vegan soaps that are WAY better" but although it starts off a bit rough when lathering this stuff really is decent. Had a BBS shave and skin felt amazing afterwards. Plenty of residual slickness for touch ups with no issues. Finished off with Rose Water to keep up the Rose theme.

Hope everyone had a swell shave!
20190420_135412.jpg

20190421_142643.jpg

Have had this sample of Southern Witchcrafts Pomona for a while now and have been meaning to give it a shot, so Easter Sunday it is!

The scent is Apple forward but very complex. Im not usually a big fan of Apple Spice type scents but this is WAY different from anything else, not too sure how properly describe this one that would do it any justice but is a great scent.

Performance is SW is top notch and right up there with Noble Otter, A&E, and other newer artisans. The good thing about Southern Witchcrafts is they are affordable, complex, and Vegan which makes them a great value IMO considering the performance. Finished off with some Mentholated Florida Water and a splash of Osage Rub (for nostalgia reasons) which felt amazing in the beautiful outside air.

P.S. man i cant stand this brush! It is tiny and hard to manage, had no idea this thing would be so small lol. All well at least it was relativeley cheap. Now the Red Yaqi brush on the other hand is excellent.

Hope everyone had a safe holiday!
20190421_143013.jpg

20190422_101546.jpg

If you have been on the wet shaving fourms a while you may remember Shave Revolution. They were a supplier (like Maggards or IB) that also offered their house brand shaving soap. They sadly went out of business a while back and info on their soap is somewhat scarse.

Scent of Connesseur B. Street .009 is a tobacco type scent that reminds me of plastic as weird as that may sound. The closest thing i could compare this to would be Counrty Club La Habana, or Mickey Lee Grand Havana but this one is different and certainly not the same oils used in those soaps.

Imgredients are: Steric acid, aqua, potassium hydroxide, coconut oil, shea butter, sodium tallowate, glycerin, fragrance, argon oil, tussah silk.

The shave went well and soap whipped up a nice lather with no issues. The soap itself has a white almost clear color and is the consistancy of putty. Decent performance but that blew me away personally. Finished off with L'Orange Noir love this stuff and will start using it more often as a cologe.

20190422_102246.jpg

Back