The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

Patchouli for the win! Nice shave and review. I read that they are going to discontinue Glastonbury. Hope that’s just a rumor. It’s on my “to try” list.

4-4
20190404_135108.jpg

Prep: pre shave soap mix
Razor: Wilkinson Sticky
Blade: Rapira SS
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Synthetic
Soap: Big Easy Soaps & Tintures- Roof Of the World X2

Had a swell shave this morning with Roof Of The World which has a unusual scent profile of: tibetan Black Tea, Frankincense, Lotus Blossom, And Vetiver. This is a hard one to describe but i can detect many of the individual notes which makes this a unusual scent for sure. This is more of a clean vetiver used that earthy. Did notice that the aftershave smells a bit different from the soap IMO and as a result was the star of the show. even went back for a 2nd splash a few hours later so this is right in my wheelhouse scent wise.

Performance of the soap was decent, whipped up a thick lather with a small dab. Ingredients are: Tallow, Steric Acid, Coconut Oil, Caster Oil, Kokum, shea, Avacado Oil ,Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Hydroxide, water. Managed a decent shave and post residual slickness was quite impressive and the most noticable feature of this lather, however as mentioned the aftershave was the best part IMO.

Hope everyone had a great shave!
20190404_135817.jpg20190404_135826.jpg

I just got the Glastonbury EdT sample in my TSC Anniversary Brush pack. I haven’t given it a spritz yet. Smells great, mellow, gentlemanly off the nozzle. How’s the dry down?

Its not bad but have only tried the balm so far. It does remain pretty earthy and strong pathouli vibe but is a scent i did not care for at first personally.

Patchouli for the win! Nice shave and review. I read that they are going to discontinue Glastonbury. Hope that’s just a rumor. It’s on my “to try” list.

I cdn imagine Glastonbury not being a top seller but am glad Stirling brought it back along with British Leather & Nag Champa which are also weird scents.

4-5
20190405_123526.jpg

Razor: Wilkinson Sticky
Blade: Lord Super Chrome (1st shave)
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Synthetic
Soap: Country Club For Men- Cypress & Spice

This turned out to be one of the best shaves ive had in a while. First time with the Lord Super Chrome blade and it went well, although perhaps not my favorite of the Lord blades only time will tell.

Country Club For Men makes some top notch products and highly recommend any of their soap bases. Not positive which soap base this particular one is since the label has the vegan recipe but could have sworn this scent was the Greek Yougurt formula. Anways, this stuff whipped up a thick protective lather that provided as perfect a shave as one could ask for.

The scent of Cypress & spice is for my nose mostly a clean woodsy scent with some spice background. Paired well with Ozark Mountain which was icing on the cake. Very happy with the results!

Hope everyone had a similar experience!
20190405_124326.jpg

4-6
20190406_162419.jpg

Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
Blade: Lord Super Chrome (2nd shave)
Brush: Maggard White & Blue Synthetic
Soap: WTF 1K

Managed a decent shave this evening. Am a big fan of the Wet The Face soaps and according to my records i have used Christmas Time more than any other soap in the den which is speaks volumes.

The scent of 1K is hard to describe and detect specific notes, it is sort of a sporty men's Cologne that has a lot of base notes. The scent really opens up once lathered compaired to sniffing the tub.

Performance of this soap is very good. This is the Sunflower Oil formula which so far has been my personal favorite from the WTF line, although you cant go wrong with any of them IMO performance wise. Finished things off with Taum Sauk as both scents while being different do work quite well together. Hope everyone had a great shave!
20190406_171200.jpg

P.S. i accidently dropped the brush when trying to take a lather shot lol. This is what was left on the brush after making a big mess on the bathroom sink. Ended up adding a bunch more water before shaving.

This seems like deja vu. Where do you buy the country club soaps? I know I’ve looked for them on the site that comes up when you google it, but don’t see anything for sale. So I bet I’ve asked you this question before.

This seems like deja vu. Where do you buy the country club soaps? I know I’ve looked for them on the site that comes up when you google it, but don’t see anything for sale. So I bet I’ve asked you this question before.

From what i understand Kevin from Country Club 4 Men is now under a new company called Yakk Outfitters. Last i checked they only had a few scents to choose from, but if you would like to try CC soaps let me know which ones sound interesting and i can include extra samples for the Sample Library soon as the plastic jars arrive. Here are the scents i have: Root Beer, Barnstormer, La Habana, Cypress & Spice, Dark Forest.

4-7
20190407_115047.jpg

Razor: Gillette Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Lord Super Chrome
Brushç Yaqi 26mm Synthetic
Soap: CBL Black Rose Oud

Very nice refreshing shave with CBL. This is a interesting soap base both in appearance and the fact that its made with Wagyu Beef. Whips up a decent lather with minimal effort, not the most thirsty soap on the market so it doesnt require a ton of water for a acceptable consistancy IMO.

Scent of BRO is a Rose but instead of being a heavy floral it is muted somewhat by the Oud and other notes that make it more dark and woodsy than most Rose scents. This one is a real winner in my book. Managed a decent shave but am not a big fan of this Lord Super Chrome blade.
20190407_120010.jpg

4-8
20190408_221144.jpg

Razor: Fat Handle Tech
Brush: RAzorock BC Plissoft
Soap: Soapy Bathman- Cedar Sandalwood

This was a terrible shave from start to finish. I somehow managed to get some heavy oils or something stuck in this brush as it has caused lather issues in the past, in fact very few soaps have worked well with this brush recently. I have soaked it in hot water, lathered liquid hand soap, and just gave it a run thru Dawn Dish Soap and near boiling water so hopefully this will fix it THIS TIME lol. Due to the brush issues this shave made it nearly impossible to comment on the soaps performance, however i will say it has a light woodsy Sandalwood scent with Cedar background. Soapy Bathman soaps come in a big 8OZ tub and has a Glycerin soap appearance (very similar to the old HTGAM) but does indeed contain tallow. I usually do not promote "blooming" but this soap being very hard could perhaps benefit from this practice, although since blooming feels wrong to me that is not what i did in this case.

Had much dragging and pulling from the blade, so overall this was a rough rushed shave and still had a lot of stubble leftover. The Proraso balm was the best part and the scent did compliment the Cedar Sandalwood quite well.
20190408_221734.jpg

4-9
20190409_130409.jpg

Razor: Fat Handle Tech
Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic
Soap: Soap Smooth- War Blend

Oh man was this a much needed refreshing shave! War Blend is a awesome soap and become one of my favorite mentholated soaps. It has a aquatic Cologne type of scent that is a bit similar to Soap Smooth's Brain Freeze but with War Blend the scent is not as corrupted by the menthol and paired beautifully with the Peg Leg Nichols. The amount of Menthol in this soap is just perfect IMO it is quite noticable but wont make you cry.

As for performance this stuff is excellent. Im not sure if it is the menthol, diameter of the tin, or a different formula from other Soap Smooth soaps, but for whatever reason War Blend makes a creamier lather than any other Soap Smooth soap i have tried. Lather can hold a good amount of water without signs of breaking down and has all the qualities one would want from a top tier product IMO. Despite the blade not working that well in this razor this turned out to be a plesent surprise and couldnt be happier with the results. Hope y'all had a similar shaving experience!
20190409_131155.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I found them. Shaving Soap and yes they only have two soaps. I thank you for the offer to try them, but it looks like they really aren’t available so I’ll pass.

I was never too impressed with Soap Smooth but that lather looks awesome. Perhaps I need to revisit.

Their formulas are vastly different from eachother. I did not care for the formula from Cognac or the Tobacco scents plus they both burned my skin pretty bad. But this stuff is a different story, the lather is really luxurious on this War Blend for some reason.

4-10
20190410_102359.jpg

Prep: Musgo Real Oakmoss
Razor: Dorco Plastic Razor
Brush: Razorock BC Plissoft
Soap: Tiki- Kilted Tiki

Cleaned this brush AGAIN with Dawn dish Soap and hoped for the best.did loose some fibers from the knot and had ro cob it out. Decided Tiki wad the bet choice as it lathers faster than any other soap i have tried so i figured it was the best bet. Thankfully had no trouble getting a stable lather and hopefully this brush is OK and will continue to not cause any issues.

Scent of Kilted Tiki is a Scotch Whiskey type of scent that is mild and not nearly as offensive or Polorizing as MT strong & Scottish. This scent is quit nice and is a fresh whiskey type of vibe to it.

Performance of Tiki is quite decent. This is the Tallow formula with Pumpkin Seed which i do not think is quite as good as the Vegan formula, but still a perfectly servicable soap. This Dorco razor is so mild i doubt you could cut yourself if you tried and can get reckless as hell without consequence, although hard to get a BBS with this razor. Finished off with Whiskey Woods which smells great and is a perfect addition to the Pinaud line IMO.

Hope evwryone had a swell shave!
20190410_103136.jpg

4-11
20190411_125926.jpg

Prep: Musgo Real Oakmoss
Razor: Razorock DE1
Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: Lisa's Natural Premium- Coconut Oud

Had a bit of a rough shave this evening. Have had issues with this soap burning my skin in the past and figured things may have changed but unfortuneately this is not the case.

Scent of Coconut Oud is a light sweet slightly spicy coconut scent. Not a bad scent but not nearly as good as Sandalwood Patchouli IMO.

Performance is not bad. Whipped up a thick lather with a quickness. I am one of those that prefer the older base compaired to this Premium version, have not tried the newest Sheep Milk formula yet. This stuff is loaded with good igredients and its a shame it burns my skin as it is a decent soap, but into the PiF/Trade box it goes. Still have other Lisa's Natural soaps in the den so no heartburn here. Finshed off with Lisa's Somaili Rose balm which to my nose has a powdery diaper cream type of scent, not in a bad way but its not what one would expect with the word Rose in the name. The balm comes in a small 2oz glass pumper and really like the performance of this stuff. Hope everyone had a decent shave!
20190411_180210.jpg

Back