The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

This is true. I LOVED the smell of that soap. But the last time I used it, my beautiful camp fire smell was transformed to kerosene. I am somewhat worried that there is a chemical degrading going on that caused that, but I haven’t used it again to confirm it’s still like that.

3-27
20190327_213409.jpg

Prep: Musgo Real Oakmoss
Razor: Wilkinson Sticky
Blade: Rapira SS
Brush: Razorock BC Plissoft
Soap: Labelle- Tobac Vanille

Late night shave went well with Labelle Soaps. Used the Forest Moss to show what the label looks like as i only have a small sample of the Tabac Vanille set.

Scent is Vanilla mixed with a spicy tobacco type scent that is about mid strength. Not a bad scent but not something i lioe enough for a full tub.

Performance is decent. Whips up a creamy lather and since this is a firm soap you can really load heavy with just a small dab of soap. Shave went well and the matching A/S felt soothing.

20190327_213925.jpg

This is true. I LOVED the smell of that soap. But the last time I used it, my beautiful camp fire smell was transformed to kerosene. I am somewhat worried that there is a chemical degrading going on that caused that, but I haven’t used it again to confirm it’s still like that.

Dang Dave thats no good. Very strange the scent changed that much... or perhaps someone dumped Kerosene on the Campfire lol.

3-28
20190328_152712.jpg

Prep: pre shave soap mix
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Synthetic
Soap: CK Olive Branch

Am not really a bi fan of HTGAM, PPF, PAA, Crown King, etc. But have to give credit where credit is due and this guy has come up with some excellent scents. The scent of Olive Branch is very complex and hard to describe, i detect the White Chocolate and perhaps some floral notes. This is a beautiful scent IMO and is very different.

The shave went great but did have some redness afterwards. The lather held a ton of water and even flooded it out on the final pass without consequence. The matching aftershave is awesome and typical for PAA has decent longevity. Hope everyone had a great shave!
20190328_153326.jpg

20190330_143821.jpg

Prep: Occams Crushed Lime pre shave soap
Blade: Rapria SS
Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: CRSW J'Darin Orange Vol.1

Excellent shave the other day. Cold River is a soap with top notch performance but am personally not a fan of most of the scents of theirs i have tried, although this one being the exception.

Scent is obviously Orange but it is fairly complex, sort of like a clean fresh citrus cologne. Closest thing i can think of would be Crown & Crane Deep Ellum.

Soap whipped up a thick lather that really likes a lot of water. Shave went well and was refreshing as could be. Finsihed off with Italian Stallion Milk to keep with the citrus theme.

20190330_144347.jpg

20190331_120240.jpg

Brush: Maggard B&W synthetic
Soap: A&E Khalifa

Swell shave yesterday morning with A&E Khalifa. This soap base is darn good and could compete with the best of em IMO.

The scent of Khalifa was much stronger than last time. Scraped a small dab and it lathered well in the bowl. One thing i have noticed is that the lather starts off slow and looks a bit watery to start off with, but the work is well worth it because this is one decent soap base IMO. Shave went well and face felt hydrated and post residual slickness was great. Hope everyone is doing well and getting the best shaves possible!
20190331_121059.jpg

4-1 APRIL FOOLS!

20190401_134524.jpg

Prep: Pears Menthol Soap
Razor: Wilkinson Orange
Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: Wickhams Super Smooth- Club Cola

Found out a bit late that todays April Fools day or i would have busted out the B&M SoA as it was a surprise April's Fools soap release a few years back. Have had Wickhams SS in the queue for a while now so today was its turn.

Scent of Club Cola is much like one would expect, a cola scent that some describe as a Lemon Tart and is heavier on the citrus than clove or other spicy notes. This is one of the better Cola scents on the market and is very well done IMO. Ordered this soap directly from Wickhams when they discontinued the Super Smooth line (in favor of the 1912 formula) and shipping from the UK to US was VERY reasonable.

Performance is very good and whips up a thick lather with no problems. Only ended up needing about 1/2 of the amount i scooped out and still had enough lather for 3+ passes with some to spare. The 1912 formula is perhaps a bit creamier texture wise but this Super Smooth is still a decent soap and is the 1st soap i recall with Pig Lard, being a older formula i'm surprised there are not more artisans using Manteca or Pig Lard like some A&E soaps and perhaps a few other artisans. Lather can handle water well and provided a great drama free shave. This plastic Wilkinson Sword razor is a steal for $3 although i still prefer the Wilkinson Sword Classic (around $10) this one has a unique loading design that makes it different from any other razor. Finished off with Stirling Ben Franklin and the two paired beautifully together.

Hope everyone had a great day and swell shaves!
20190401_135125.jpg

4-3
20190403_124113.jpg

Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic
Soap: Siliski- Patchouli Blend

Had a swell shave this afternoon with Siliski Soaps Patchouli Blend. Siliski has a simple ellegance that gives a reminder that this really is a artisan soap. Andrew is a class act and cannot say enough good things about any of the Siliski products i have tried so far ( Shave Soap, Post Shave Oil, Body Butter Bar) and everything has been of top notch quality.

Performance of this soap is of course really good. Started out with the brush a bit too dry and found it likes a wetter brush to start with. After a little loading had plenty of soao for 3 passes with a little to spare. The post residual slickness was excellent and much better than i remember which may be due to the addition of all that water. Had a great BBS shave with no issues and couldnt be happier with the results.

Scent is Patchouli but with subtle suporting notes to give it a bit of uniquness. Scent strength is rather mild and not overpowering at all. As with all Siliski scents is on the natural side.

Finished off with Glastonbury Balm which paired well and helped keep that Patchouli vibe going a bit longer. Hope everyone had a great shave!
20190403_125015.jpg

I just got the Glastonbury EdT sample in my TSC Anniversary Brush pack. I haven’t given it a spritz yet. Smells great, mellow, gentlemanly off the nozzle. How’s the dry down?

Back