The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

12-31

Prep: Musgo Real Oakmoss
Razor: Orange Wilkinson
Blade: Wilkinson Sword
Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic
Soap: WTF Autumn

Excellent shave yesterday afternoon. Went with Wet The Face Autumn which is in the sunflower oil base.

Scent of Autumn is reminicent of fresh apple pie. Spicy apple accord that smells really nice. Thankfully there was no burning sensation from this scent, as this type of scent can cause problems from time to time.

Performance is top notch. Scooped a small amount of soap into copper bowl and had enough lather for several shaves, will keep this in mind next time not to use so much soap. Lather held a good amount of water and provided plenty of slickness. Finished off with Sports Heat which i added some menthol crystals to give it a nice cooling effect. Sports Heat is a A/S i picked up locally and it has a sweet cologne scent. Hope everyone had a swell shave!

1-2-19

Prep: pre shave soap mix
Razor: Orange Wilkinson Sword
Blade: Wilkinson Sword
Brush: Maggard Blue & White synthetic
Soap: Country Club- Root Beer

A fairly uneventfull shave this evening. Went with CC Root Beer to sort of celebrate their reopening (new name Yak Outfitters). This is the vegan formula and is quite decent.

scent of Root Beer is a strong Anise black licorice, not my favorite from CC, but performance makes up for it.

Did not include a lather shot today as the brush had a strange waxy feel to it and it effected the lather a bit. Did not want to show a false representation of this soap. Shave went well with no issues. Finished off with Whiskey Woods, great sweet scent that is a excellent addition to the Pinaud line IMO. Hope everyone had a great shave!

A root beer soap sounds fun. Sounds like more is a sarsaparilla root beer than normal root beer, which I like better anyway!

Black licorice? There's too many soaps out there to use one that stinks!

A root beer soap sounds fun. Sounds like more is a sarsaparilla root beer than normal root beer, which I like better anyway!
agreed. soap may be great but the scent is no go for me.
Black licorice? There's too many soaps out there to use one that stinks!

Hahaha Black Licorice is not my favorite, but some Root Beer can grown on you over time (Ben Franklin, Passionatly Natural Root Beer) yet there are others like Stirling Obsidian that is another story.

RECENT SHAVES

Have been meaning to use Mystic Water for a while now but kept putting it on the back burner for one reason or another, not sure why as it performs great. No lather issues at all. Lather likes water added slowly rather than all at once. Scent of Sweet Briar reminds me of Wild West Peace Pipe or Queen City Soaps Gentlemens Cut, they all have a sweet tobacco type scent that is mild and not overpowering. Shave went well and lather was nice and protective. Finished off with Cognac & Cuban Cigars balm, this stuff smells amazing and is a top notch balm.

Went to Frankenmouth for a few days and brought RR Tuscan Oud and Honeybee Vetiver along for the ride. Was enjoying the shaves so much i forgot to take some pics while i was there. Tuscan Oud smells amazing but provided little protection and ended up being a rough bloody shave? typical Italian airy lather no matter how much water i added. some of it could be blamed on the blade which i should have changed before i left lol lesson learned.

The Honeybee Vetiver whipped up a rich lather with little effort. Night and day difference from the shave the day before with RR. Its sad to hear Sue from Honeybee passed away, she always seemed like a nice lady and would have liked to have met her in person. She will surely be missed. The shave was excellent and even did a little baby chasing without consequence. Finished off with Arko Maxium Comfort which has a citrusy scent that paired well with the Vetiver.

Razor: Wilkinson Sticky
Blade: Pol-Silver
Brush: Yaqi Synthetic
Soap: Central Texas Soaps- Mr. Pepper

Had a swell shave yesterday morning. Picked up a new brush and a few samples from WCS so first time with both. This Mr. Pepper soap smells great and just like you would expect from the description, paired beautifully with Ben Franklin. Whipped up a thick lather in the copper bowl and the lather provided a smooth shave. Will have to experiment further with this artisan but so far so good, especially for the price point. Hope everyone had a great shave!

You have a Yaqi SF brush too? I got one recently; great, soft synth! Nice to know you as Brad!

RECENT SHAVES

Have been meaning to use Mystic Water for a while now but kept putting it on the back burner for one reason or another, not sure why as it performs great. No lather issues at all. Lather likes water added slowly rather than all at once. Scent of Sweet Briar reminds me of Wild West Peace Pipe or Queen City Soaps Gentlemens Cut, they all have a sweet tobacco type scent that is mild and not overpowering. Shave went well and lather was nice and protective. Finished off with Cognac & Cuban Cigars balm, this stuff smells amazing and is a top notch balm.

Went to Frankenmouth for a few days and brought RR Tuscan Oud and Honeybee Vetiver along for the ride. Was enjoying the shaves so much i forgot to take some pics while i was there. Tuscan Oud smells amazing but provided little protection and ended up being a rough bloody shave
1f641.png
typical Italian airy lather no matter how much water i added. some of it could be blamed on the blade which i should have changed before i left lol lesson learned.

The Honeybee Vetiver whipped up a rich lather with little effort. Night and day difference from the shave the day before with RR. Its sad to hear Sue from Honeybee passed away, she always seemed like a nice lady and would have liked to have met her in person. She will surely be missed. The shave was excellent and even did a little baby chasing without consequence. Finished off with Arko Maxium Comfort which has a citrusy scent that paired well with the Vetiver.

Soap: Central Texas Soaps- Mr. Pepper

Had a swell shave yesterday morning. Picked up a new brush and a few samples from WCS so first time with both. This Mr. Pepper soap smells great and just like you would expect from the description, paired beautifully with Ben Franklin. Whipped up a thick lather in the copper bowl and the lather provided a smooth shave. Will have to experiment further with this artisan but so far so good, especially for the price point. Hope everyone had a great shave!

1-7-19

Prep: Pre Shave Soap Mix
Blade: Pol- Silver
Soap: Tim's Soaps- Breakfast Of Champions

Excellent shave this morning. Went with Tim's Soap which is a artisan that went out of business a while back, its a shame because his scents are great, performance to match, and he offered both this one and a palm free formula called Green Label. Tim was also quite active on the fourms even making custom scents (like Busta's Blend) for members of the community.

Scent of Breakfast Of Champions is a mix of Coffee and Bourbon predominatly. Scent strength is not overly strong and about a 6/10. BoC is a great scent IMO that paired well with Leviathan, although BoC is not as coffee forward.

Performance of Tim's Soaps is quite good. The lather on the last pass was much slicker than the 1st, so i must not have added enough water to begin with. Soap lathers quickly and soap is fairly dense as only a small amount was needed to make a mountain of lather. Did end up with one small weeper on neck from too many short strokes, but other than that this was a enjoyable refreshing shave. Hope everyone had the best shave possible!

1-8

Prep: Pre Shave Soap Mix
Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic
Soap: Wickhams Parma Violet

Super BBS shave this evening. Really like this Wickhams 1912 formula, this along with P&B are the 2 artisans that come to mind when thinking of artisans from England.

Scent of Parma Violet is a soapy Violet type of scent that smells identical to the candy. I cant help but to think of Dawn dish soap, aparently this is what Violet smells like lol. The only other Violet soaps i have tried had other notes blended to make a different accord.

Performance of the 1912 soap base is great IMO. Lather holds a boat load of water without breaking down, slickness is top notch and provides plenty of protection. The Super Smooth formula is not bad either, but this is a major improvment. Managed a BBS shave and finished off with Lisa's Somali Rose Balm. Nice smooth and refreshed.

Back