The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

Are you even reading when you skim
1f60b.png

Orange Wilkinson

Hey man trying to get caught up. And in the pic it looks red. I didn't remember "skimming" the word red.

1-8

Prep: Pre Shave Soap Mix
Razor: Wilkinson Sticky
Blade: Pol-Silver
Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic
Soap: Wickhams Parma Violet

Super BBS shave this evening. Really like this Wickhams 1912 formula, this along with P&B are the 2 artisans that come to mind when thinking of artisans from England.

Scent of Parma Violet is a soapy Violet type of scent that smells identical to the candy. I cant help but to think of Dawn dish soap, aparently this is what Violet smells like lol. The only other Violet soaps i have tried had other notes blended to make a different accord.

Performance of the 1912 soap base is great IMO. Lather holds a boat load of water without breaking down, slickness is top notch and provides plenty of protection. The Super Smooth formula is not bad either, but this is a major improvment. Managed a BBS shave and finished off with Lisa's Somali Rose Balm. Nice smooth and refreshed.

1-9

Prep: Hot Bath with Bev's Grandpa's Pipe Bath Soap
Brush: Razorock BC Plissoft
Soap: Van Yulay- Oh Man

Nice smooth refreshing shave this afternoon. This 2oz hard puck formula has become my favorite from Van Yulay. They offer several different formulas but this one stands out IMO, unfortunately it is only available in 3 scents to my knowledge.

The scent of Oh Man is a barbershop type of scent. It has a similar boozy quality that reminds me of MER Shaving's Barbershop soap, that is to say it is one of the better versions of Barbershop scents IMO compaired to the aquatic ones.

Performance is very good espcially considering the price point, excellent value IMO for a high quality product. This soap is loaded with skin food and interesting ingredients, some of which you don't see often in shave soaps (Emu Oil, Manteca, Abyssinian Oil,Polyquats, Honey, Oat Straw Extract, Etc.) And this is what helps make Van Yulay so different. Just their scent list alone shows how dedicated Monica is to her craft.

Managed a super smooth shave with no irritation or drama. Plus no burning from the Pacific Rush which is always a good sign. Hope everyone had a swell shave!

1-8

Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic
Soap: Wickhams Parma Violet

Super BBS shave this evening. Really like this Wickhams 1912 formula, this along with P&B are the 2 artisans that come to mind when thinking of artisans from England.

Scent of Parma Violet is a soapy Violet type of scent that smells identical to the candy. I cant help but to think of Dawn dish soap, aparently this is what Violet smells like lol. The only other Violet soaps i have tried had other notes blended to make a different accord.

Performance of the 1912 soap base is great IMO. Lather holds a boat load of water without breaking down, slickness is top notch and provides plenty of protection. The Super Smooth formula is not bad either, but this is a major improvment. Managed a BBS shave and finished off with Lisa's Somali Rose Balm. Nice smooth and refreshed.

Gotta pick up some Myrsol Formula C to finish off a shave like that! Violet candies exactly!

1-10

Prep: Occams Crushed Lime Pre Shave Soap
Blade: Pol- Silver
Soap: Grooming Dept- Conco De Oro

Say what you will about Grooming Dept, Its no secret GD is among the elite soaps in many peoples den. Performance is staggering IMO with all of the many soap bases they have released. Mo is also a great guy that is active on the fourms.

Scent of this one is a strong citrusy orange that is very complex yet natural and not cologne like at all. One of the strongest orange scents i have tried, could still detect the soap scent hours later since i used no post shave product. Just amazing stuff that provided a perfect shave.

1-11

Prep: nothing
Blade: Pol- Silver
Soap: TSD Iced Havoc

Started off with a cold water shave this afternoon but had to switch to warm water as the shave was freezing!

The Shave Den shop closed down recently sadly, and figured i would pull out the 'ol Iced Havoc as a sort of tribute. Unfortuneately i dont have any TSD post shave products, so just the soap will have to do.

Scent of Havoc is a Aqua Velva type scent. It is a close clone, not exact but a similar scent. The good thing is Havoc is not heavy on the powder notes as other scents like this tend to be.

Performance is very good. This is one of the soaps i tried early on what first starting this wonderful hobby, so there is a special place in my heart (and den) for this particular soap. I added a ton of menthol crystals to this soap (as well as some samples) and now it is at Glacial level of coldness. As a result had to adjust the water temperature. Whipped up a creamy lather that was nice and shiny. Did end up with 1 small weeper on neck from chasing but overall was a refreshing shave indeed. Hope everyone had the best shave possible!

1- 12

Nice early morning shave. Had towork the lather a bit as i started out with too much water and too little product, but eventually got to the right consistancy. CBL soaps have crazy slickness and provided a excellent shave. Highlyreccommend CBL for anyone curious as it is a great soap base IMO.

Must have acquired a little irritation from yesterdays shave as neckline was a bittender, and this blade seems to work better in this razorcompaired to the "Sticky". The scent of Black Rose Oud is complex and not a typicalfloral, there is rose but its fairly well blended with other notes that make it a bit on the darkside (sandalwood, oud, etc).Finished off with a few spraysof Rose Water which feels soothing for the skin. Hope everyone had a swell shave!

Getting caught up on my reading. Good stuff, Brad. You sure do have a variety of soaps!

Thanks Bruce! Shaving soap was the gateway to how i got started into this wonderful hobby. Trying different soap bases (and scents) is by far my favorite part of wer shaving. hopefully repaying the fourms with honest opinions as these shaving fourms have helped a TON along the way.

1-13

Razor: Fat Handle Tech
Brush: Yaqi Synthetic
Soap: Envy Shave- Winter Forage

Oh man! What a incredible shave this morning, managed a super smooth BBS and was very impressed with the results oftodays shave.

Winter Forage has a silghtly piney scent, somewhat complex and prefect for this time of year.

Performance of Envy Shave soap is exceptional IMO. Tried to overload the lather with water on the last pass and it still kept going. This is a soap that really likes water and provided a ton of slickness. This soap has surprised me each time i use it, really good stuff. Finished the shave off with some Ozark Mountain Balm to keep the Winter theme going. Hope everyone had a swell shave!

Back